Sponsored

Tips on how to control yourself when people try to race you?

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The dad with the kid crossing just before they gun it sets the tone for me, they deserved what they got lol
There are quite a few pedestrians and bicyclists in that area all the time.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Tbh 99% of the time I drive super conservative, but literally every day I got guys (usually in Jeeps and pick up trucks) that as soon as they see my car they start flooring it trying to cut me off and stuff.

Usually their cars are like decades old and I just let them go (I have a motto, JLTBG- just let the bitches go) because I Don't want to risk damaging my brand new stang over them, but some days I feel more tired or irritable depending on the time of day and how i am feeling and a myriad of other factors and etc and a part of my brain takes over and says no - fuck these guys, and i floor it!!!

Like today there was this jeep that kept flooring it at every red light trying to "beat" me, but i was able to gap him without even using all my throttle lol

but then we got to this windy road narrow 2 lane road with 35mph speed limit and I was just cruising the speed limit and he is just going full speed about to pass me and something in my head snapped and I just floored it in the middle of a curve. Luckily nothing bad happened but looking back I am so mad because I could of risked crashing my new car over some trashy asshole with an old as hell jeep and I want to get better at controlling myself in situations like this.

Do you guys also experience it? What to do?

Also I want to understand the psychology behind why guys in jeeps and trucks and etc try to race and us and why It's so hard for me to just ignore them please if anyone has any theories I'm keen to hear your input!
So the answer is don't. Just gap these fools and keep it moving.

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
First thing you need to understand is 95% of these guys (if not more) donā€™t care about who is actually faster, they just want to hear you get on it.

Next, for the remaining few that actually want to test their mettle against you. There is absolutely nothing to be proven on a public road inside of traffic. Now, if you find someone that wants to take it on an empty country road when itā€™s late / thereā€™s no traffic, thatā€™s one thing and completely on yā€™all because all youā€™re risking is your own vehicles and yourselves. But simple ego trips within traffic have resulted in innocent, uninvolved people getting killed.

My advice is for those that just want to hear the car, its up to you to indulge that and know that itā€™s not anything serious. I rarely get anyone that actually wants to race myself, but plenty that pull up next to me saying stuff like ā€œget on it man!ā€ ā€œLemme hear itā€ etc. And if I choose to do so, they are all smiles at the next light. I could sit here and say that for anyone serious, take it to a legal, regulated track or donā€™t do it at all, but I know how most of us are and we all enjoy the occasional rip on a back road. But if youā€™re going to do that, make sure the only people possibly getting hurt are just those involved because at the end of the day, you are accountable for your own actions.

ultimately, I think you need to consider that not everyone that revs next to you or passes you thinks they are faster than you and wants to prove it punk you. Just have fun.
Totally agree.
My favorite thing though is when a vehicle pulls up next to me and they have their son in the back seat and they ask me to rev it up because the kid wants to hear it. I always obligešŸ˜. Had that happen more then a few times

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
I have a slightly different take on this. I don't disrespect anyone wanting to race. I rarely oblige them but every once in awhile I take the bait and it's not about winning (to me) it's the thrill of my GT getting to do what it does best and that's go very fast.

The only time I get upset is when someone gets offended by my Mustang and does stupid stuff endangering me, themselves or even worse bystanders or other drivers. That's a big NO NO with me.

Y'all be safe out there and try to use judgment when you DO yield to the temptation to let your Mustang have some fun.

Sponsored

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Funny how many people are blaming other car owners. When I get just as many other Mustang owners wanting to race at stop light as I do Camaro or Dodge owners.

I do like to pull and see who could win if we're not in traffic. I bought a Mustang, not a Prius. So I'll have some fun when I can.

EDIT: On a side not. The little EcoBoost that could will eat about any V6 not boosted. And will hang with V8's.

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Chalk it up to older age, experience, and having kids.

I didn't buy a Mustang to accelerate slowly and drive exactly the speed limit. That said, I'm also very responsible and aware of the surroundings, road conditions, car limitations, and laws. I'm fortunate to have a lot of countryside within 10-15 minutes from home so there is always more than enough back roads where it's me, the car, and the cows.

Having driven older fox bodies, stock, they just took a bit of time to get to 75, 85mph. These Gen 3's are so quick that a few seconds on the floor and it's a potential arrest and weekend in jail where I live so even stock, it's more than enough for the street.

As for the challenges - lately it's trucks and Teslas. I know Tesla's would embarrass me on the street anyways so I usually give them a few seconds of "noise" so they can hear the environment cry a little and then go on with my day.

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
On a side note, when a V6 mustang or an ecoboost tries to play, it is your civil duty to take them to gapplebeesā€¦ just a friendly roll if the road is clear
I had to look up gapplebees..... LOL... That's simply too funny!

I've done a few of those... Most recently on an on ramp for an interstate a Maxima decided he'd get on the interstate before me. WRONG! Gapplebees time. I must have really embarrassed him because he seemed to shut down and he disappeared in traffic. LOL

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Track day events surely help satisfy the need for speed in a controlled environment. Surprisingly, I actually have had more idiots try passing me in my Focus ST than my Mustang. As Zent said, it depends on the mood I'm in and where. Two lane country roads seem to be a popular place for me at least, and more large SUV's than anything else. Many are surprised at the hop the little Focus has.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I just look over and smile. Eating cars up worth 3-4 times mine on-track is all I need.

I don't say anything, exhibit speed or rev. I just let the clapped out 3rd gen honda civic with multiple color body panels and racing stickers that don't make sense just pass me if they want.

Keep in mind that these are the same dudes that flex their gas cap decal with a man trying to keep it out of E lol. Meanwhile I just roll up to the pump, pay for a full tank and go about my business.

Everyone is different, it's all about perspective.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I have a really hard time understanding how someone elseā€™s irresponsible behavior could make me want to be irresponsible too.

How is this even a thing? I must be missing something. Just do what youā€™re inclined to do.

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
This is complicated and needs to be a question ?

Many, many people are jealous and not too bright. That's why they are often also not particularly successful in the rest of their lives, i.e. education, family, jobs, debt vs. saving, and on and on.
Just read a few newspapers and you will find your answer.

I'm frequently challenged when driving either, a) my C7 Corvette Z06, upgraded to 710 hp. Almost 700 lbs lighter than a GT500, why would I waste my time; or my 2019 Shelby GT350, upgraded to 550 hp & suspension components, that handles far better than most cars.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
About the only thing I get is people pulling up next to me and "saying nice car". Street racing is almost unheard of around here. 90% of the vehicles on the road are SUVs and 4 door pickup trucks. So, even if I was inclined to race somebody, there's nobody to race and my vision would be obstructed. When I pull up to a stoplight, the odds are there are about 8 vehicles there and mine is the only car.
Bro you live in Wisconsin, the place is where everyone does the "right" thing and tells other people to do the same. They follow the laws by the letter practically. I lived there for 3 long years (haha), sitting at a traffic light guy pulls up next to me rolls down his window and tells me to put on my directional, WTF is that? My turn signal, even tho the light is red, nobody is behind me and the lane is painted with big freeking left turn arrow. Ah jeez!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I lived there for 3 long years (haha), sitting at a traffic light guy pulls up next to me rolls down his window and tells me to put on my directional, WTF is that? My turn signal, even tho the light is red, nobody is behind me and the lane is painted with big freeking left turn arrow. Ah jeez!
Since its a well-established 'stang rule that putting anything less than 93 octane in the tank and forgoing 10 HP is sacrilegious, same goes for not using sequential turn signals, even leaving your driveway onto a one-way street.
Sponsored