Sponsored

Tips on how to control yourself when people try to race you?

Zent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT Premium
Tbh 99% of the time I drive super conservative, but literally every day I got guys (usually in Jeeps and pick up trucks) that as soon as they see my car they start flooring it trying to cut me off and stuff.

Usually their cars are like decades old and I just let them go (I have a motto, JLTBG- just let the bitches go) because I Don't want to risk damaging my brand new stang over them, but some days I feel more tired or irritable depending on the time of day and how i am feeling and a myriad of other factors and etc and a part of my brain takes over and says no - fuck these guys, and i floor it!!!

Like today there was this jeep that kept flooring it at every red light trying to "beat" me, but i was able to gap him without even using all my throttle lol

but then we got to this windy road narrow 2 lane road with 35mph speed limit and I was just cruising the speed limit and he is just going full speed about to pass me and something in my head snapped and I just floored it in the middle of a curve. Luckily nothing bad happened but looking back I am so mad because I could of risked crashing my new car over some trashy asshole with an old as hell jeep and I want to get better at controlling myself in situations like this.

Do you guys also experience it? What to do?

Also I want to understand the psychology behind why guys in jeeps and trucks and etc try to race and us and why It's so hard for me to just ignore them please if anyone has any theories I'm keen to hear your input!
Sponsored

Last edited:

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Most everyone in a newish or even oldish Mustangs experience this shit. Lots of ricers like to try to rev up and see if you'll take bait. One of my Mustang bro's told me when I brought MRTWSTR home that people will be straight up weird around your Stang, even brake checking you. For me I'm well into my first good season tracking my GT. Being able to experience the thrill of driving the GT the way Ford Engineers designed it to run is enough to allow me to cruise at or near the posted limits and let the douche bags blow on by. Maybe everyone can't afford to go to the track 4 to 8 times a year but just doing it once might give you the memory of how this baby goes unfettered by speed limits. Helps doing the mundane street drives without needing to hit it hard.

Also doing some nice country cruises with a "little" boost here and there gets it out of the system.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
It shouldnā€™t come as a surprise to you that this is not a car-related problem at all.

SBPGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6, 1993 Probe GT
Well, I only have a V6 and EVERY single Dodge Charger, Challenger or Chrysler 300 will go out of their way to show me what a douche they are. They'll do a fly by in the center turning lane, shoulder or even oncoming traffic lane just to prove it. Cutting off other drivers, kicking up debris from the side of the road, etc... I tell myself there's another "Dodge Douche". I see them coming and just ignore them and let them go by.

I'll do a short pull against another Mustang V6/Eco if they are willing. When we are done, we wave and go our separate ways(no drama).

Sponsored

NFG19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1
Yes have this happen a lot! Two in the same day. One was a squatted Chevy. He came flying by then, ran a red light from a left turn only lane! Later that night a guy in a old doge Dakota the one with the V8. Was just sitting at the light. Then he floors it almost crashing. He just took off running 80 to 100 on a 55limit road!

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Not sure about racing me, but I get revved at all the time, most people haven't seen this color so it draws a lot of attention. I have a chuckle at their shenanigans, taking the civilized approach as they make an ass out of themselves.

IMG_20220805_203209960.jpg

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I chalk it up as jealously and just keep my limit. But depending on where Iā€™m at every once in a while I put the shithole in his place.

Sponsored

gjbroder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I need a sticker that says..... I can go 168...... but I won't!!!:clock::sunglasses::rockon:

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
From what Iā€™m told trucks are the new penal compensation device. Certainly see that stupid behaviour regularly. I have no secret to not escalating aggression other than some track mode exhaust notes to soothe my brain. Itā€™s fun going slow listening to the coyote sing. I even get crotch rockets wanting to race. Crazy

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
I saw it happen more often before I got the GT. In 2017 laws were introduced which made it pretty hard for wannabe-racers on public streets:
https://www.thelocal.de/20170922/ge...-in-response-to-reckless-and-selfish-driving/

the new law sets out a maximum two-year-jail sentence for taking part in a race, and that's just if no one is injured.

If someone in seriously hurt or killed in the race the sentence rises to 10 years in jail.

The law also applies to people who aren't involved in a race but who speed in ā€œa careless way that is against driving regulations.ā€
Since then nothing really that I would consider racing.

But if I was in a situation I would just try to increase my distance to these people.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm sure there's a bunch of reasons, from people wanting to hear your car, to them wanting to see how their vehicle compares (everyone thinks their vehicle is so fast these days), to them just wanting to goad you into doing something stupid and getting in trouble.

Ultimately it's always going to happen, you just have to decide if you can safely play it back on them, or if you're better off just ignoring them. 90% of the time it's the latter.
Sponsored