Sponsored

Tips/Key Things to Inspect Before Accepting a Mustang from the Dealership?

Dr_Banana_Hammock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
N
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium Grabber Blue
I'm 6-8 weeks out, but have an order placed for a GT Premium.
I'm hoping to have a checklist put together for the day-of so I'm not blinded by the excitement.

Any general, or Mustang-specific things to look for (paint, stitching, engine) I should check before I accept the vehicle?
Sponsored

22GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2020 f150 xlt, 2013 avenger 3.6l, 2017 f350 srw xl
Following. I'm receiving a new one that's being built right now so I'm hoping to get some pointers myself.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It really depends on your expectations and how picky you intend to be. These aren't Porsches. Or any other make that gives a hoot about QC.

The only real gripes I have about my '15 are fit and finish related. Misaligned driver side door and fender. Grind marks visible under the paint on top of the rear kick-up on the passenger rear quarter. Panel gaps are completely inconsistent. Grille has never fit the front fascia as well as other S550s I've looked at.

The pisser here is I have a '17 VW in the daily driver fleet that listed for well under $30K that has superb body fit and finish in comparison, it's basically perfect. I live with the faults of my car (and "fixed" the grind marks by hiding them under a spoiler), but you better believe it's a factor in whether I buy another new one.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's reality for me. You may luck out and get a great one. But be prepared for a glitch or two...

food_fanaticz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT Premium
When you take delivery of the car, inspect it during the daylight on a sunny day. It'll make it easier to see any imperfections in the paint.

I made sure to inspect the entire exterior. Opened the trunk and hood, inspected engine, making sure alignment was good when closed.

As an aside, I invested in PPF the full front and ceramic the entire car. If you go that route, I'd do it as soon as possible, especially if you daily it. My detailer was surprised at few paint imperfections. It's common to see paint defects straight from factory so that's probably the number one thing I'd look for.

Test drive it obviously:wink: And I'd be alert for any strange rattles, noises. I've heard of stories of some noticing interior rattles from the dash and the like. These are just a few things I can think of I looked for.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
What makes it challenging now is if you reject a car you might not see another for months. Cosmetic stuff is what id mainly worry about on delivery. Scuffs, chips etc that will be blamed on you if not noted.

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Do an initial check. If it passes those,take it home.

Over the first few weeks of ownership, write down the issues and present them to the dealer.

In the enthusiasm, you are not likely to see everything at first anyway.

Like others said, it's not a Porsche. Some of the panel gaps etc... You may have to live with.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I'll agree on panel gaps. It's not a "defect" it's just a characteristic of the car. Same issues with my F150. The Germans are different.... they focus on things like that, but they forgot to make them reliable, so I guess it's pretty and that's all that matters :p

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
There is usually a check list that the technician follows to prep the car. Try to get a copy for your specific model. Things that get missed? Tire pressure, wrong manual, shock shipping blocks (Magnaride specific?), transmission oil level for A10. Then as other posters said, scruff Incurred during transportation

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, 2020 GT350 Heritage
Key thing to ensure.... that the interior door liners are both the same. Here we have a beautiful 2021 Mustang Premium Convetible with only 36 miles on it. I immediately felt something was amiss. The passenger side door liner is an alcantara suede material. Most likely the California special type. The drivers side liner is leather. Hmmmm. Does this make it a unicorn or a defect? If this was on your new car, would you let it ride?

The salesman was baffled. No one ever noticed.

20220307_121510.jpg

20220307_121418.jpg

20220307_121416.jpg

20220307_121425.jpg

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Key thing to ensure.... that the interior door liners are both the same. Here we have a beautiful 2021 Mustang Premium Convetible with only 36 miles on it. I immediately felt something was amiss. The passenger side door liner is an alcantara suede material. Most likely the California special type. The drivers side liner is leather. Hmmmm. Does this make it a unicorn or a defect? If this was on your new car, would you let it ride?

The salesman was baffled. No one noticed till today.

20220307_121510.jpg

20220307_121418.jpg

20220307_121416.jpg

20220307_121425.jpg
Well, an undocumented factory screw-up isn't the same as a documented 1-of-1 build. I'd have that corrected.

Good old Ford QC attention to detail strikes again.

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
The 2020-2022 are pandemic builds. Probably lots of ups and downs with quality control.

Reminds me of the 70s. Run away inflation. union strikes etc.. = Coke bottles in the doors, lots of cracked castings like heads and manifolds. 73-79 were the worst cars America has built IMO.

I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case with 2020-2022.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...I would be more concerned that the PDI didn't pick it up.
Funny, they miss something like that when it is a paid for service.

I remember I bought a new 2008 Harley Road King. The salesman told me
it was ready to go that the service manager had just came back from riding it.

I got on it to leave and the clutch didn't work.
Matter of fact; there was a part missing.
I paid $795 for a service that they never performed.............................

kauljp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It really depends on your expectations and how picky you intend to be. These aren't Porsches. Or any other make that gives a hoot about QC.

The only real gripes I have about my '15 are fit and finish related. Misaligned driver side door and fender. Grind marks visible under the paint on top of the rear kick-up on the passenger rear quarter. Panel gaps are completely inconsistent. Grille has never fit the front fascia as well as other S550s I've looked at.

The pisser here is I have a '17 VW in the daily driver fleet that listed for well under $30K that has superb body fit and finish in comparison, it's basically perfect. I live with the faults of my car (and "fixed" the grind marks by hiding them under a spoiler), but you better believe it's a factor in whether I buy another new one.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's reality for me. You may luck out and get a great one. But be prepared for a glitch or two...
I remember when I received mine, it took me a couple of months and my brother pointing it out that the hood on my car had a misalignment at the front lol. That however was the only thing I could point out. All else was good.

kauljp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
What makes it challenging now is if you reject a car you might not see another for months. Cosmetic stuff is what id mainly worry about on delivery. Scuffs, chips etc that will be blamed on you if not noted.
Also, if you do notice them, do yourself a favor and try to get them fixed before you sign the delivery papers and picking up the vehicle. This will mean that they will get those fixed asap. Because, they need the delivery done on paper and will move suns and earth to get that done lol. Once you have taken delivery, it can be a long process and you could be dependent on the goodwill of the dealership/employees/sales managers. Save yourself the hassle and ask to have the issues fixed before taking delivery.

kauljp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
There is usually a check list that the technician follows to prep the car. Try to get a copy for your specific model. Things that get missed? Tire pressure, wrong manual, shock shipping blocks (Magnaride specific?), transmission oil level for A10. Then as other posters said, scruff Incurred during transportation
At honda, we generally give those manuals out upon delivery to the guest. At ford however, I did not receive anything during my delivery and was too excited to care to ask lol. I dont know if this is a dealer specific thing but if one can, they should ask for that checklist, its called the pdi checklist I believe.
Sponsored