Tinny metal sound underneath Shelby GT500

pinchme54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
As I posted previously, I have noticed a tinny metal sound coming from underneath my 2020 Shelby GT500. Today, I went to my local Ford Dealership which has a Shelby qualified mechanic on staff. This same mechanic installed my new replacement engine due to antifreeze leaking into the engine on the cylinders. I had been receiving a check engine light indicating a misfire on cylinder 1. I had this code appear no less than 3 times and this mechanic discovered the problem and had notified Ford, who in turn, sent down a long block as a replacement. Since the install last month, have not had any issues, except for this tinny metal sound. Well, I had the mechanic take a ride to see if he could determine the origin of the sound. He said he had heard this noise before and attributed it to the newly developed Tremec 7 speed transmission having a gear that spins at low speeds and makes this tinny metal sound. He checked to see if any tech bulletins had been released on this issue and none were to be found. He said our next option would be to take another Shelby out for a ride to see if it made this same tinny metal noise. Of course, none were to be found. We will have to wait and see if we can locate one to drive. Until then, I still drive my Shelby, with the noise and no indication of what is causing the annoying sound. If anyone has knowledge of the source of this noise, please let me know. Tks. P.S. The noise has been getting louder since I purchased my Shelby.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
First thing that comes to mind is check the trans to engine block spacer plate, it’s a common issue across the S550 and F150 platform:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-transmission-plate-noise-fix.115718/

The other things under the car that can have a tinny metal sound would be any catalytic converter heat shields, or internal baffles to resonator or mufflers coming loose.

Check any harnesses under the floor pans and make sure none are coming in contact with the floor, trans tunnel, near engine or trans, etc.

Another source of S550 rattle/metallic sound:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...r-side-help-needed-solved.147806/post-3255302

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinchme54

pinchme54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Thanks for much for all of the ideas on what the issue may be. I will be contacting the Dealership and passing this info on to the Shelby Mechanic.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
As I posted previously, I have noticed a tinny metal sound coming from underneath my 2020 Shelby GT500. Today, I went to my local Ford Dealership which has a Shelby qualified mechanic on staff. This same mechanic installed my new replacement engine due to antifreeze leaking into the engine on the cylinders. I had been receiving a check engine light indicating a misfire on cylinder 1. I had this code appear no less than 3 times and this mechanic discovered the problem and had notified Ford, who in turn, sent down a long block as a replacement. Since the install last month, have not had any issues, except for this tinny metal sound. Well, I had the mechanic take a ride to see if he could determine the origin of the sound. He said he had heard this noise before and attributed it to the newly developed Tremec 7 speed transmission having a gear that spins at low speeds and makes this tinny metal sound. He checked to see if any tech bulletins had been released on this issue and none were to be found. He said our next option would be to take another Shelby out for a ride to see if it made this same tinny metal noise. Of course, none were to be found. We will have to wait and see if we can locate one to drive. Until then, I still drive my Shelby, with the noise and no indication of what is causing the annoying sound. If anyone has knowledge of the source of this noise, please let me know. Tks. P.S. The noise has been getting louder since I purchased my Shelby.

I get a low rumble grade sound when I lug the motor up a hill. It's not to bad and it sounds like its origin is the transmission.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
No emergency brake cable on the 2020/21 GT500's, electric emergency brakes. But it was good advise for all the other Mustangs.
Whoops - edited it out of my initial response since it's not applicable to GT500 (forgot the platform had the electronic e-brake).

thx!
Sponsored