Time to ditch the summer tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by SilverbackGT, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Zrussian13

Zrussian13 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
    0   0   0
    Here in Az summer tires are all season tires. I put 21000 miles on the mps4s in my first year with this car. Definitely need new rear tires by the end of '19... sorry cant put any input into which tires are best for snow. I'd be lost if I woke up and had to shovel snow to leave my house.

2. OP
    OP
    SilverbackGT

SilverbackGT New Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT
    0   0   0
    This is the positive reassurance that I was looking for LOL. Might bring a set of medium-soft hardness Hoosiers to try out if the super sports just refuse to bite. Thanks!

3. kluke15

kluke15 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kenny
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GTPP
    0   0   0
    i dont even give it gas. i was saying i literally slowly let the clutch out no gas and it will still spin in some conditions.

4. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Fiesta
    0   0   0
    Definitely in certain conditions any tire will slip. If it's snowy/icy but close to freezing and you spin the tires too much (warm them up), they will get extremely slippery because they can create a thin layer of water on the ice. Obviously if the tires are worn they will not grip as well either.

But with the right tires Mustangs can be really good winter driving cars.

5. meangreen83

meangreen83 New Member

First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang Bullitt
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I’m from SC as well and I’ve had my car for only 3 weeks and I have been wondering if I should switch to an all season tire from the ps4s. Right now I don’t drive it after dark or when the temps fall into the 40s or below. I’ve noticed the lower the temp gets, the more squirrelly the tires tend to get.

6. Phatpony

Phatpony Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT PP1
    0   0   0
    I bought some General G-max AS05's for my brand new GT PP1 one week after buying it because the PS4S's were slippery with the cold snap we had. No problems with the Generals slipping in the cold. I'll put the PS4S's back on in the spring.

7. RIBS

RIBS Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
    0   0   0
    I had Pirelli all season 19’s, then switched rims and had Pirelli summer 20’s, now I have conti dsw6 all season.
    By far the Continentals are the best of the bunch, and yes they are all season! They are fine in 25 degree Atlanta winter and 100 degree summers, and they just ran [email protected] 111.17 in the quarter mile....
    The summer tires were crap under 60 degrees, and they never warmed up and gripped...
    I don’t run road courses but the all seasons ran faster in the quarter mile than my summer tires did....

8. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson corner barstool sitter

First Name:
    Norm
    Vehicle(s):
    '08 GT #85, '10 LGT, '01 20AE
    On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
    0   0   0
    All tires behave that way, just in different temperature ranges.

It's good that you've been paying attention. Ultimately, it's on you to stay out of the "squirrely-ness", and don't count on all-seasons or even full-on winter tires feeling as "stuck-down" on the colder days as summer performance tires do on a dry day in the middle of summer.

Norm