corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
All Tiger's being a celebrity has to do with it is that the rest of us get to hear about it. Make the same report about anybody else's crash and I'd come to the same conclusion (no matter how young or old they might be).

A completely separate thought is if Tiger had been driving a car more suitable for hard cornering than an SUV this thread might not even exist.

Norm
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
All Tiger's being a celebrity has to do with it is that the rest of us get to hear about it. Make the same report about anybody else's crash and I'd come to the same conclusion (no matter how young or old they might be).

A completely separate thought is if Tiger had been driving a car more suitable for hard cornering than an SUV this thread might not even exist.

Norm
All of the reports say that this is a dangerous piece of roadway. There have been many accidents there and people have asked for it to be modified. The only reason we heard about this is because it was Tiger. Now maybe someone will listen and fix the problem.

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
He was going to fast to begin with, then a long downhill with a sweeping right curve and remember he's driving an SUV he's not familiar with, I can see hitting the wrong pedal when all of the sudden you know you're losing control on the road!

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So now we're on the conclusions that car didn't corner well enough and road needs to be fixed. We found the culprits ! WTF guys. Has it not been Tiger it would be "should've driven slower" or "dude was an idiot".

Changing subject - don't know how GV80 corners (probably not as bad as you think) but this thing on the road looks amazing. Totally would buy if I ever wanted a SUV of this size.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So now we're on the conclusions that car didn't corner well enough
SUVs are at an inherent disadvantage in the corners.

and road needs to be fixed.
Evidently so.

We found the culprits ! WTF guys. Has it not been Tiger it would be "should've driven slower" or "dude was an idiot".
IIRC, comment was made just after Tiger's accident that it's common for people to be speeding by more than just a little along that stretch.

Changing subject - don't know how GV80 corners (probably not as bad as you think) but this thing on the road looks amazing. Totally would buy if I ever wanted a SUV of this size.
Easy enough to find - here's Motor Trend's take on its cornering (boldface mine)
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/genesis/gv80/2021/2021-genesis-gv80-first-test-review/ said:
2021 Genesis GV80 First Test Review: Cool, Not Hot (motortrend.com)[/URL] ]As for handling, the four-cylinder GV80 can carry 0.79 g on the skidpad and dashed through our figure eight in 27.4 seconds at 0.63 g, while the six-cylinder GV80 carried 0.82 g on the skidpad and needed 26.9 seconds at 0.65 g on the figure eight.
Again, comparing to the Mercedes, the base GLE 350 was slower around the figure eight at 28.2 seconds, and the GLE 450 4Matic was also a touch slower, though its 0.69 total average g-vector figure around the course is impressive.
Braking from 60 mph was 117 feet for the entry GV80, and the upmarket V-6 model shaved five feet off the number—impressive given that it weighs 270 pounds more. In this instance, the Genesis stomps the Mercedes: The GLE 350 requires 130 feet, and the GLE 450 takes 115 feet to come to a stop. Both Nautiluses needed 117 feet to come to a halt.
How Does The 2021 Genesis GV80 Ride And Handle?
But again, it's not so much the numbers you get from the Genesis as how it delivers them.
During our SUV of the Year testing, judges commented on a lack of steering response and difficulty in matching the cornering and precision of European SUVs.
I have a feeling that Tiger was approaching the GV80's limits, probably 75% of the way there at least. One more part of a "perfect storm".

Norm

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Given his record would you want him to give you a lift home from a party?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Given his record would you want him to give you a lift home from a party?
Probably not.

But that makes him more representative of the average driver who has little or no seriously high performance driving experience on their driving resume. Another piece of the 'storm' . . .

Norm

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
50 years ago - That’s a dangerous road. I better be more careful.

Today -That’s a dangerous road. Someone should fix that so I don’t have to be more careful.

Btw it’s reported they also found a unmarked pill bottle in the car, which I find unsurprising.

Piloting a guided missile at 90 feet per second is dangerous and always will be.
A. Of course we should all be careful but that doesn't mitigate the towns responsibility to correct a dangerous situation. We only heard about this because it was Tiger. Think of it as a public service.

B. An unmarked pill bottle. So what? There were no drugs in his system. Nothing to see here.

C. Again, what's the point. We all do it everyday (and don't BS me by saying you don't). As the old saying goes, "sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug". On this day Tiger was the bug. Accidents do happen.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Today -That’s a dangerous road. Someone should fix that so I don’t have to be more careful.
Sad commentary on today's mindset where having our safety done for us by others is replacing us doing our own safety.

Piloting a guided missile at 90 feet per second is dangerous and always will be.
And Tiger was recorded doing something closer to 125 ft/sec . . . what could possibly go wrong?

But even so, the initial media coverage still chose to look no deeper than speed - of and all by itself.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
A. Of course we should all be careful but that doesn't mitigate the towns responsibility to correct a dangerous situation.
I'm sure that even that stretch of roadway satisfied the route location and design requirements in effect at the time it was built. Chances are, we didn't have the tools to predict far enough out into the future how poorly drivers would come to regard speed limits.

C. Again, what's the point. We all do it everyday (and don't BS me by saying you don't). As the old saying goes, "sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug". On this day Tiger was the bug. Accidents do happen.
Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits

On the street, any time you even get close to being the bug, you're not as good as you think you are.

Norm

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
There are several ways to test for drugs.

Sample Required?
  • Urine is the most frequently tested sample for opioids. Urine is collected in a clean container.
  • Alternatively, a blood sample is obtained by inserting a needle into a vein in the arm and drawing blood into a tube.
  • Hair may be tested and is usually collected from the crown of the head, although hair may also be collected from other locations, such as the chest or underarm.
  • Saliva is collected in an absorbent pad or swab placed between the lower cheek and gums for a few minutes.
  • A sweat sample is collected with a patch that may be worn for several days.
https://labtestsonline.org/tests/opioid-testing

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Going 'to fast' on a dangerous rode, driving a rental car(SUV) you aren't familiar with how it handles. That area does have wildlife..........could a deer, rabbit, squirrel or dog run in front of him?
he say's he doesn't remember(THIS COULD BE 100% TRUE with a rollover accident like this).
But do we really need to keep digging into this. The world has so many bigger issues right now.
Sponsored