Sponsored

Ticking/tapping Noise HPDE on RH Turns

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Hello all,

I was running a lapping day Friday and could faintly hear a ticking or tapping noise on right hand turns below is a video of it and you can hear it (microphone is on the back bumper).
Any thoughts? The frequency seems higher than wheel rotational speed (but maybe at tread block frequency) and doesn't appear to be tied with engine speed. I checked the wheel bearings on that side at the track and didn't feel any play.

Other than that distracting noise the car ran fine.

Sponsored

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
My gt350 was making a similar noise, originally only on left turns, then developed to right turns also, then developed into left/right/straight. The dealer moved the lugs front to back and it went away so they ordered 20 new lug nuts and the problem has not resurfaced since.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Floating rotors (like on the GT350) will go tick tick tick when cornering hard

OP
OP

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Thanks for the replies!

Lug nuts is a strange one!

I should have mentioned its a nearly stock performance pack car with non floating rotors.

I have checked the wheel bearings for play on that side but normally they emit a growl. The noise doesn't sound significant enough to be too worrisome yet but it was a little unsettling. It would be preferable to not have something let go mid corner...

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
FYI if my passenger seat belt isn't latched the buckle will make scary noises during autocross runs as the buckle tab bangs against seat or trim panel hard plastic. Ditto for the rear belts. if the tabs aren't secured.

Is there any chance it is simply gravel?

Are the lug nuts torqued to 150 lb-ft?

Sponsored

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Sounds like you already check the hubs so that would kinda include this. Did you check the axle nuts? 32 mm rear and 36mm front. B
does the 32 but in the rear feel more like a 31 1/2 to anyone else. Me and my mechanic both felt like it had just a touch to much play.

OP
OP

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
FYI if my passenger seat belt isn't latched the buckle will make scary noises during autocross runs as the buckle tab bangs against seat or trim panel hard plastic. Ditto for the rear belts. if the tabs aren't secured.

Is there any chance it is simply gravel?

Are the lug nuts torqued to 150 lb-ft?
I don't think it's from inside the vehicle. The microphone was on the outside of the vehicle and I could hear it echoing off the wall.
The noise seems too consistent to be gravel.
Lugs were checked and are torqued up to 150lbf-ft.

OP
OP

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Sounds like you already check the hubs so that would kinda include this. Did you check the axle nuts? 32 mm rear and 36mm front. B
does the 32 but in the rear feel more like a 31 1/2 to anyone else. Me and my mechanic both felt like it had just a touch to much play.
I have witness marks on the rear to see if the nut has started to loosen. I'll have to check and report back on that. Didn't get that far track side.
I've never checked the front as its under the dust cap... I assume that would show up as a loose bearing.

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I have witness marks on the rear to see if the nut has started to loosen. I'll have to check and report back on that. Didn't get that far track side.
I've never checked the front as its under the dust cap... I assume that would show up as a loose bearing.
Youre not wrong. If the nut gets really loose you would notice it when checking your bearings. I run at the track without center caps since they melt off on me so it's easy to check the rear.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes its just OPR which can cause such a ticking noise. I had that happen once with noise and a vibration and pitted to find everything was just fine.

Sponsored
OP
OP

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Sometimes its just OPR which can cause such a ticking noise. I had that happen once with noise and a vibration and pitted to find everything was just fine.
I thought about this too. I would have expected to hear it on both turns though.

I did find the outter tread blocks are a bit feathered on the left rear.

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
I thought about this too. I would have expected to hear it on both turns though.

I did find the outter tread blocks are a bit feathered on the left rear.
It sounds crazy, but try moving your lug nuts from one side to the other and see if the noise moves or goes away.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Interesting... I seem to get a similar ticking noise on low speed increasing radius tight left hand turns. I also can hear it from outside the car. I initially pulled off into grid and couldn't find anything. It does it consistently, but hasn't seem to caused any problems outside of the noise. Frustrating to say the least.

OP
OP

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Interesting... I seem to get a similar ticking noise on low speed increasing radius tight left hand turns. I also can hear it from outside the car. I initially pulled off into grid and couldn't find anything. It does it consistently, but hasn't seem to caused any problems outside of the noise. Frustrating to say the least.
I think it happens on any loaded turn for me. Low speed is easier to hear because the overall noise is lower (wind, engine, normal tire noise). My challenge is to be able to reliably replicate this on the street...

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I'm having trouble even hearing any noise that sounds potentially bad. Don't know if it is my ears, my speakers, or my ear buds.

Is the noise a relatively quiet compared to exhaust noise "tinny stones on sheet metal" kind of sound (realizing it isn't actually stones on sheet metal)?

I was thinking maybe Torsen "stick slip" noise, especially if you don't have stock fluid and friction modifier but you could hear that on the street and it would be a more "solid" sound from my experience even with oem fluid and friction modifier. Is there any chance it is simply a characteristic of your exhaust/muffler?
Sponsored