Sponsored

Ticking in brand new car

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Picked up a 2016 Mustang GT PP a couple of weeks ago. I've noticed some ticking when I'm near a car or building. It seems to be coming from underneath the car, dead center near the back of the motor if I had to guess. The ticking is in sync with the exhaust notes. It doesn't sound like knocking but it sounds like a piece of plastic getting caught in a fan, if that makes sense.

I've recorded the noise but unfortunately it sounds more like knocking in this recording. I'm going to take a better recording later, but should I be worried? This seems extremely common on 5.0s on YouTube

https://soundcloud.com/user-198553686/2016-mustang-gt-50-ticking
Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
That might be the B-B-Que tick mentioned here. Sounds like an igniter on a gas grill?
Mine did it when new, but it eventually stopped.

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
That might be the B-B-Que tick mentioned here. Sounds like an igniter on a gas grill?
Mine did it when new, but it eventually stopped.
I don't think it is the BBQ tick. I've listened to a lot of videos and the BBQ tick sounds a lot louder and the pattern doesn't repeat as quickly as mine. Mines very consistent and you can't hear it unless you're next to something

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Could be the suitcase. A known issue on these and a great excuse for a catback system or a h-pipe. :D

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Sounds like my F150. Is it belt related? Tensioner? A quick Google turns up lots of hits for ticking issues with Mustangs in general.

Billyocean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red PP GT
my guess would be an exhaust leak, i picked up a 16 and it had the same type sound, it turned out to be the driver side pipe had a kink in it coming off the header but before the factory resonator.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Suitcase issue? Covered under warranty?
Yes factory center box / resonator, its nicknamed suitcase because if you look under the car at the exhaust in the center it well looks like a suitcase and sometimes they fail causing rattling/tickling sound. Fully covered by warranty. :)

Sponsored

Fenderfreak145

Complaint Listener
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT PP
:cough: Buy a nice catback :cough:

;)

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Change your oil to amsoil sig series and it will go away!

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
I guess I could change the oil and if that doesn't work, hope it's an exhaust leak.

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
I sure hope it isnt the BBQ tick, i went through that and wish it on no one else. Worst thing ever.

If you're mechanically able, drop your exhaust and run it off the cats. See if you still hear it. From there you know if it's exhaust or engine.

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
I sure hope it isnt the BBQ tick, i went through that and wish it on no one else. Worst thing ever.

If you're mechanically able, drop your exhaust and run it off the cats. See if you still hear it. From there you know if it's exhaust or engine.
You can hear bbq tick with no cats? I would think it would be more noticeable while standing near the car if that were the case
Sponsored