Stangfan333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT manual
Hi Members,
Can anyone share their experience with the Tickford phase one supercharger for my manual 2020 FN gt please.
Is it reliable, is the tune smooth with factory driveability,is heatsoak a problem for street use?
Any advice/feedback would be much appreciated.
Sponsored

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Hi Members,
Can anyone share their experience with the Tickford phase one supercharger for my manual 2020 FN gt please.
Is it reliable, is the tune smooth with factory driveability,is heatsoak a problem for street use?
From what I have read Whipple Gen 3 is the way to go.

BruceTheQuail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just doing a bit of reading (but no direct experience), apparently gen 5 has zero whine bit gen 3 had plenty. Having had a few supercharged cars (and currently have one) I can say that for a sound nut/bogan like me, whine is a must and I would take a slower car with whine over a faster car without.

In my (non Mustang) experience (and sorry if you are already familiar with all of this, it is one of my passions and I like to chat about it), whine comes from the front of the car and makes the hair on your cheeks stand up while you have flashbacks to Mad Max, also you tend to get it with the windows wound up. Exhaust noise on the other hand comes from the back of the car and it is louder with the windows down. So as you accelerate you tend to get whine prominent until about 3500 to 4000 RPM when the exhaust note takes over.

It can be difficult getting whine into the mix if it is suppressed at the outset, personally because I just absolutely love engine noise and whine in particular (anyone remember Richard Hammond in the Grand Tour with the Hellcat? Well I identified with that) I would go check out the noise factor before making a final decision.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Just doing a bit of reading (but no direct experience), apparently gen 5 has zero whine bit gen 3 had plenty. Having had a few supercharged cars (and currently have one) I can say that for a sound nut/bogan like me, whine is a must and I would take a slower car with whine over a faster car without.

In my (non Mustang) experience (and sorry if you are already familiar with all of this, it is one of my passions and I like to chat about it), whine comes from the front of the car and makes the hair on your cheeks stand up while you have flashbacks to Mad Max, also you tend to get it with the windows wound up. Exhaust noise on the other hand comes from the back of the car and it is louder with the windows down. So as you accelerate you tend to get whine prominent until about 3500 to 4000 RPM when the exhaust note takes over.

It can be difficult getting whine into the mix if it is suppressed at the outset, personally because I just absolutely love engine noise and whine in particular (anyone remember Richard Hammond in the Grand Tour with the Hellcat? Well I identified with that) I would go check out the noise factor before making a final decision.
So I am guessing you are not big on electric vehicles?😂😂😂

Sponsored

BruceTheQuail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Haha, well look I really like the concept of them - every time I get stick behind a Nissan or mitsibishi 4wd ute and get covered in a cloud of stinking oily diesel smoke I think I cant wait until these things are banned - but as a "driver", a really fast car that has no gears or real engine note and doesnt handle very well is about as appealing as a ride-on lawn mower. My car purchases are 90% heart (or groin) driven, I've yet to see an electric car that has stirred either of those organs.

So I suppose I am big on them, as long as they are being driven by everyone else lol.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Haha, well look I really like the concept of them - every time I get stick behind a Nissan or mitsibishi 4wd ute and get covered in a cloud of stinking oily diesel smoke I think I cant wait until these things are banned - but as a "driver", a really fast car that has no gears or real engine note and doesnt handle very well is about as appealing as a ride-on lawn mower. My car purchases are 90% heart (or groin) driven, I've yet to see an electric car that has stirred either of those organs.

So I suppose I am big on them, as long as they are being driven by everyone else lol.
Check this out then.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So I am guessing you are not big on electric vehicles?😂😂😂
They have awesome whine. Im just waiting for someone to do a thyristor retrofit. You know like you get on the metro trains.

paulb351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT,Everest,FocusRS,MustangMach1
Hi Members,
Can't comment on Tickford units as I have a Herrod supplied Whipple gen 5 on my Mach 1, whine is difficult to get and have ADR compliance is strict, mine has a closed airbox and the new Whipple design so no whine detectable, more concerned about the performance as mine puts out 615Kw at crank and that leads to very, very fast and tough car. It does also reduce the bogan attracting factor. Search on here and the Australian Mustang facebook groups for feedback on Tickford as there is a bit of it about.

For info, mine will drive in traffic in 37C heat with AC on and drives like factory with no dramas, heat soak isn't a problem although inlet temps do increase if sitting idling for long periods but returns to ambient after starting to move again.

Also, look at your differential, clutch packs let go under hard acceleration and gear changes causing wild fishtails, I don't have that issue as I've swapped to Torsen mechanical diff and 3.73 gears to match the US specification Mach 1 Handling Pack and no chance of LSD slipping.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zacaxel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Fastback
I have a Herrod supplied Whipple gen 5 on my Mach 1
Where did you get the Whipple installed?
What exhaust setup do you have, headers, cats, catback?

Would love to meet up sometime and have a listen, and maybe get you to take me for a spin if you would be ok with that!

paulb351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT,Everest,FocusRS,MustangMach1
Where did you get the Whipple installed?
What exhaust setup do you have, headers, cats, catback?

Would love to meet up sometime and have a listen, and maybe get you to take me for a spin if you would be ok with that!
Trucked freight to Melbourne and back, fitted by Herrod Performance as part of an upgrade, they don't do fitting anywhere else. I wanted the Ford stuff like Magnaride software from the Mach 1 HP car that is only available from Herrod as Ford Performance dealer.

Kooks headers and green cats with standard Mach 1 system. Now have factory 4 modes, normal mode is louder, race track and sport mode wake the dead and scare small children.

You will find me at various Mustang meets around Brisbane, last one was QFord Mansfield coffee and cars a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

BruceTheQuail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ok. I love AMs but with 1900hp & instant torque electric v 820hp V12....No contest re performance.
Agreed, but absence of sound and gears - for me that's most of the fun gone. But I say that without having driven one...

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Agreed, but absence of sound and gears - for me that's most of the fun gone. But I say that without having driven one...
I believe you can dial in to select the level and type of of sound both internal and external.
Sponsored