Thump sound after spring install. Could it need retorqued

RCstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver
Hello, notice that i get a thump sound coming form my right front when ever the suspension travels on a bumpy road or driveway. This started happening after about two weeks of installing the Springs and getting aligned. Question i have is i was going to recheck the torque settings first, but could not locate the specs i had. Does anyone have the torque spec settings for the suspension portion of the car?
Any help would be appreciated.
Ron
Sponsored

CeleronXXX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
I had a similar noise after install. It turned out to be the bolt that holds the strut mount to the strut, the one that just keeps spinning when it gets almost tight, its kind of a pain to get a wrench on but that sounds like your issue

Smarz1018

ScubaSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Eco-boost
The top strut nut can be tightened to spec when the strut is installed and in place and under load correct? Having a similar sound on my car after spring install.

abuch91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Had a clunk too it was the strut mount bolts not being tight enough.

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hello, notice that i get a thump sound coming form my right front when ever the suspension travels on a bumpy road or driveway. This started happening after about two weeks of installing the Springs and getting aligned. Question i have is i was going to recheck the torque settings first, but could not locate the specs i had. Does anyone have the torque spec settings for the suspension portion of the car?
Any help would be appreciated.
Ron
If I was in your position I would put car up on 4 jack stands and double check every bolt/nut on all 4 corners. Last thing I would want to do is hurt somebody because of a suspension mistake. If you do this you will probably find your problem. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

CeleronXXX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
Yes it can be but its tricky getting a wrench that fits down in the hole and is big enough to securely hold the lower nut while you tighten the upper screw

OP
OP
RCstang

RCstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver
Anyone have the torques specs?

Smarz1018

ScubaSteve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Eco-boost
So it is okay to hold the nut with a wrench and turn the top screw counter clockwise to tighten as well? Seems easier to do it this way when installed on the car.

CeleronXXX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
Thats how I did it

abuch91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Easiest way it to grab a deep 21MM socket, a small ratchet with an extender and a 10mm socket. Fish the extender down through the 21MM socket, attach the 10mm socket, and the ratchet. The 21 MM socket will hold it in place while you tighten it with the ratchet attached to the 10mm socket.

Sponsored

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT PP
Easiest way it to grab a deep 21MM socket, a small ratchet with an extender and a 10mm socket. Fish the extender down through the 21MM socket, attach the 10mm socket, and the ratchet. The 21 MM socket will hold it in place while you tighten it with the ratchet attached to the 10mm socket.
Tried that, I could not get the extender through it.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
I'd bet on the nut on the top of the strut.

SpaceGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I had the same issue. Did you reuse the splined bolts and nuts at lower attachment point? That's where my issue was. Put in new bolts and it was solved.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I had the same issue. Did you reuse the splined bolts and nuts at lower attachment point? That's where my issue was. Put in new bolts and it was solved.
wow thats interesting.. Are these supposed to be replaced every time they are removed? :thumbsup:

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT, 2022 Shelby GT500
I had a thud / clunk too but it turned out that it was the stock struts that got bad. I replaced them with new ones and that solved the problem.
Sponsored