Sponsored

Throttle House puts the 2020 GT500, Camaro ZL1 and Challenger Hellcat Redeye on the track

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
For anyone wondering what the outcome would be for a ZL1 1LE vs GT500. Enjoy this video!

Note: This never made it into the Throttle House Final cut of the video. It was the base ZL1 in that video. This was done when the Cameras stopped.

Tire point taken to extreme....you can hear the GT500 spinning the entire length....badly
Sponsored

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Tire point taken to extreme....you can hear the GT500 spinning the entire length....badly
Well, the stock GYers on the ZL1 1LE are the worst tires in a drag race. They are like hockey pucks for the most part.

This is a testament to the chassis and kinematics of the ZL1 1LE and that transmission.

The ZL1 1LE on softer tires like the PSC2 could be more potent.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It's difficult to do proper, scientific tests with proper, scientific test methods and procedures without a budget. But not running all these cars on new tires, let alone, bringing a GT500 with 'well cooked tires' destroys the credibility of Throttle House and is as useless as running one car in the cold morning and another during the heat of the day that can easily be seconds slower; let alone some magazines who use multiple drivers on multiple days :facepalm:

-GT500 arrived with "Well-cooked Tires"
-GT500 CFTP does not have front splitter wickers installed
-GT500 CFTP does not have wing set to max downforce.

Magazines and journalists often request cars and then secretly take them to the track to conduct head to head tests without disclosing it. It's possible the GT500 CFTP went from one event or publication, who ruined the tires, directly to Throttle House without notice that the car is going to the track (possibly requested to use it for a photo/street drive review).

It's irresponsible or lazy to conduct track tests in cars that do not have new tires and I hope people as a whole start to realize this and demand magazine publications and youtube bloggers and channels to be held to a higher standard.

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
It's difficult to do proper, scientific tests with proper, scientific test methods and procedures without a budget. But not running all these cars on new tires, let alone, bringing a GT500 with 'well cooked tires' destroys the credibility of Throttle House and is as useless as running one car in the cold morning and another during the heat of the day that can easily be seconds slower; let alone some magazines who use multiple drivers on multiple days :facepalm:

-GT500 arrived with "Well-cooked Tires"
-GT500 CFTP does not have front splitter wickers installed
-GT500 CFTP does not have wing set to max downforce.

Magazines and journalists often request cars and then secretly take them to the track to conduct head to head tests without disclosing it. It's possible the GT500 CFTP went from one event or publication, who ruined the tires, directly to Throttle House without notice that the car is going to the track (possibly requested to use it for a photo/street drive review).

It's irresponsible or lazy to conduct track tests in cars that do not have new tires and I hope people as a whole start to realize this and demand magazine publications and youtube bloggers and channels to be held to a higher standard.
Totally get it... the difference is... if the shoe were on the other foot... everyone would be saying how great the mustang is... and would discredit the tires. The fact is... now in multiple 'independent' tests...The 1LE is proving to be an extremely formidable track opponent, even with 100 less HP. And clearly, the GT500 needs perfect tires to compete. ;)

Dave

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Totally get it... the difference is... if the shoe were on the other foot... everyone would be saying how great the mustang is... and would discredit the tires. The fact is... now in multiple 'independent' tests...The 1LE is proving to be an extremely formidable track opponent, even with 100 less HP. And clearly, the GT500 needs perfect tires to compete. ;)

Dave
If the shoe were on the other foot, another group would be complaining. Regardless, poor test procedures is poor test procedures and should not be tolerated.

Cars are so fast these days, when you don't drive them at their limit/true capability on new tires, and are turning laps slower than the actual difference between two cars; the results will be anyone's guess. ;)

Make what you want of this 'independent test', but Randy stated the GT500 would be faster than the 1LE if it had new tires.

Sponsored

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
If the shoe were on the other foot, another group would be complaining. Regardless, poor test procedures is poor test procedures and should not be tolerated.

Cars are so fast these days, when you don't drive them at their limit/true capability on new tires, and are turning laps slower than the actual difference between two cars; the results will be anyone's guess. ;)

Make what you want of this 'independent test', but Randy stated the GT500 would be faster than the 1LE if it had new tires.
Yes, and your last line is my favorite one... because we can pull up 200 pages of how 'biased' Randy is... and whenever he gives 'negative feedback' it isn't true... but when he says something positive... boy oh boy... everyone is quoting him left and right... total hypocrisy man! Love it!

I have always said... on the larger tracks... I think the GT500 can get it done... but technical tracks, will be tough to take down the ZLE... and clearly... the GT500 will need perfect tires to do so. If and when it ever does.

Dave

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yes, and your last line is my favorite one... because we can pull up 200 pages of how 'biased' Randy is... and whenever he gives 'negative feedback' it isn't true... but when he says something positive... boy oh boy... everyone is quoting him left and right... total hypocrisy man! Love it!

I have always said... on the larger tracks... I think the GT500 can get it done... but technical tracks, will be tough to take down the ZLE... and clearly... the GT500 will need perfect tires to do so. If and when it ever does.

Dave
Fair enough. But there's no disputing poor test procedures and don't forget that there was a significant amount of downforce missing in the GT500 due to the lack of splitter wicker extensions and running more wing angle.

Focus on the 2nd paragraph in my last post ;)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Dave
There can be a huge laptime difference (a lot more than 1 second) between new and well spent tires like Cup 2s, genius. For someone with your username, you sure don't say things that show you know much. Or maybe your huge GM chubby is showing...

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
There can be a huge laptime difference (a lot more than 1 second) between new and well spent tires like Cup 2s, genius. For someone with your username, you sure don't say things that show you know much. Or maybe your huge GM chubby is showing...
Guys come on let's get real. The gt500 CFTP will be faster that the 1LE on mid sized tracks, I think on the grand course at VIR the gt500 will take the win. But let's get this out too, making the gt500 weigh in at over 2 ton was a big mistake by Ford. You simply can't make that weight go away no matter how hard you try. Not only is it the first mustang to weigh over 4,000 lbs it's the first Shelby mustang to weigh that much which is even worse in my opinion. This does not take away from the fact that it's still a great car, but let's be honest if the gt500 weighed 3,850 lbs it would crush the 1LE, as it is it will have to be happy with a win here and there.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
It would be nice to see just how bad the tires were cooked on the GT500. And while a visual is mere cursory at best it sure looks like the 1LE is running a bit more negative camber than the GT500...

xxxxxxx Capture.JPG

xxxxxxx Capturez.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Guys come on let's get real. The gt500 CFTP will be faster that the 1LE on mid sized tracks, I think on the grand course at VIR the gt500 will take the win. But let's get this out too, making the gt500 weigh in at over 2 ton was a big mistake by Ford. You simply can't make that weight go away no matter how hard you try. Not only is it the first mustang to weigh over 4,000 lbs it's the first Shelby mustang to weigh that much which is even worse in my opinion. This does not take away from the fact that it's still a great car, but let's be honest if the gt500 weighed 3,850 lbs it would crush the 1LE, as it is it will have to be happy with a win here and there.
And if we were talking about an autocross or a track like Waterford Hills I'd 100% agree with you. Despite being shorter than VIR, Willow Springs is plenty quick enough for a powerful car that's well sorted to use its advantages. By all accounts from people who've used both on that track, the Goodyear Supercar 3R is a quicker tire than a Cup 2, also, and a ton faster than one at end of useful life.

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
We live in a great time where cars like the GT500 and ZL1/1LE exist.

Personally, I would take the lighter and more agile GT350 as it offers a driving experience second to none (also thanks to that amazing Voodoo + Manual).

Aero packages aside, the key thing here is after all the bells and whistles on the GT500 CFTP for $20k (before ADM) more than the ZL1 1LE, even a 1-2 second advantage doesn’t look like a good value...if the sole purpose is to attack road courses.

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Why does visibility creep into every thread about the Camaro, no matter what the original topic was? I've had all kinds of cars and literally had no problem adjusting when I got my ZL1.
Sponsored