Sponsored

Throttle House puts the 2020 GT500, Camaro ZL1 and Challenger Hellcat Redeye on the track

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I m totally disappointed that they didn’t find a track with longer stretches to give the GT500 at least one win around a track against the ZL1 1LE.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
He's a track driver. He's gonna pick the one that he thinks has the better handling chassis. At least he did concede that tires would have made a difference. The fact that he owns a 4-cylinder version of the car he owns shows that for him it's more about chassis dynamics.
He said the tires were well cooked. When asked if on fresh tires if the GT500 would win, he said...."ooh yeah, it's 10mph faster on every long straight".

In the end, we have another video with more inconclusive results. Randy thinks the GT500 is faster, but again...still not conclusive results.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Quite frankly, between those three cars that's probably where I would have landed for the same reason. That plus other content not available in the other two at any price. The real truth of the matter, though, is if I were gonna spend those prices on a car, base GT500 and base ZL1 would be more likely considerations for me. I like tracking cars, but would much prefer the ZL1 drive quality over the ZLE and would never pay the additional $18.5k for CFTP.
Well, and let's be real, I mean, not dance around this point - and it's NOT at all a dig, I'm willing to concede anytime I have a particular bias - you're going to favor a GM product over a Ford product. There's a kid (ugh, everyone is starting to feel like a "kid") on another forum, Camaro owner, he's 100% GM only. It doesn't matter how good a Mustang is, or how much better a Durango RT, or an F150 is than their GM counterparts, he doesn't even consider them

Again, this is in no way a dig, I think it's healthy (I feel like Dr. Phil ...) to just say, yes, due to my upbringing, employment, other totally emotionally subjective factors, I just prefer GM.

Let me ask you this: offered a CFTP or ZLE for free, no strings attached, factory new, any options you want, no tax, insurance, any other cost considerations ... what do you choose? :D

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
He said the tires were well cooked. When asked if on fresh tires if the GT500 would win, he said...."ooh yeah, it's 10mph faster on every long straight".

In the end, we have another video with more inconclusive results. Randy thinks the GT500 is faster, but again...still not conclusive results.
Yup. And if he were the shill that some have accused him of being it would have been easy for him to have never mentioned that.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
And sometimes, I just LOVE the HCR, like vs. the other two cars, yes, I'll take that one. There's just something so mission specific about it, this mix of fast, roomy, a serious "street presence" but without looking like a prop car from the next F&F movie.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, and let's be real, I mean, not dance around this point - and it's NOT at all a dig, I'm willing to concede anytime I have a particular bias - you're going to favor a GM product over a Ford product. There's a kid (ugh, everyone is starting to feel like a "kid") on another forum, Camaro owner, he's 100% GM only. It doesn't matter how good a Mustang is, or how much better a Durango RT, or an F150 is than their GM counterparts, he doesn't even consider them

Again, this is in no way a dig, I think it's healthy (I feel like Dr. Phil ...) to just say, yes, due to my upbringing, employment, other totally emotionally subjective factors, I just prefer GM.

Let me ask you this: offered a CFTP or ZLE for free, no strings attached, factory new, any options you want, no tax, insurance, any other cost considerations ... what do you choose? :D
Actually, not at all true. I've owned more Mustangs than Corvettes and Camaros combined. There was a time early in my career at GM when I owned two 1979 Mustang Pace Cars, one a 2.3T and the other a 5.0L. And I drove them to work every day. Maybe that's why I eventually headed Competitor Intelligence. :crackup:

I think even newmoon and millhouse will tell you that I am constantly defending GT350, and to a lesser degree GT500 on C6G (I've driven GT350, haven't driven GT500 yet). My current job requires me to be subjective about all the vehicles I review. That's why I try to make it clear when I'm providing my personal opinion vs observations from facts / testing.

EDITING BECAUSE I DIDN'T ANSWER YOUR QUESTION:
Given to me free no strings attached: CFTP. Better all around car
Spending my money: ZL1 1LE. I like my seats powered, heated, and ventilated and I like my display heads up. Then there's that PDR. Yummy.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
This is a point that some people just don't get. When motortrend pics the "best drivers car", they don't give a rat's ass about price.

These comparisons aren't about what's the better deal. They are about...what's the better car. Given the choice between a GT3 RS and a GT500 CFTP, almost everyone is going with the GT3. Not to buy, but for what car they like better....as almost none of us are buying either one.

Note that Randy didn't pick the ZLE because it was a better car. He picked it because it was cheaper.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Actually, not at all true. I've owned more Mustangs than Corvettes and Camaros combined. There was a time early in my career at GM when I owned two 1979 Mustang Pace Cars, one a 2.3T and the other a 5.0L. And I drove them to work every day. Maybe that's why I eventually headed Competitor Intelligence. :crackup:

I think even newmoon and millhouse will tell you that I am constantly defending GT350, and to a lesser degree GT500 on C6G (I've driven GT350, haven't driven GT500 yet). My current job requires me to be subjective about all the vehicles I review. That's why I try to make it clear when I'm providing my personal opinion vs observations from facts / testing.
Funny you say that. I work in Cyber Security and about 15 years ago my company at the time landed a huge contract with GM and I did some consulting. I was strictly warned to only rent a GM vehicle when we went onsite in Detroit as it was not uncommon for some of the union boys to trash a non GM rental car in the parking lot.

Maybe because you work there :)

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

It's not about defending it, that makes it sound like I'm suggesting you're being "anti-something", I'm saying, all other things equal, you'd very likely favor a GM product, like now, not some historical how-many-have-you-owned retrospective analysis (since, of course, our biases shift).

It's no big deal, I just think it's a real factor, that's often dismissed, but it's very present in quite a few decisions we make - including cars.

Hell, I'll say it right here and now: outside of objective and some metrics that are subjective, I prefer a Mustang for reasons that are absolutely driven by things outside of cost, driving experience, performance.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
This is a point that some people just don't get. When motortrend pics the "best drivers car", they don't give a rat's ass about price.

These comparisons aren't about what's the better deal. They are about...what's the better car. Given the choice between a GT3 RS and a GT500 CFTP, almost everyone is going with the GT3. Not to buy, but for what car they like better....as almost none of us are buying either one.

Note that Randy didn't pick the ZLE because it was a better car. He picked it because it was cheaper.
His personal car is the 4 cylinder Camaro so that tells you something :)
QhSHpt3.png

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny you say that. I work in Cyber Security and about 15 years ago my company at the time landed a huge contract with GM and I did some consulting. I was strictly warned to only rent a GM vehicle when we went onsite in Detroit as it was not uncommon for some of the union boys to trash a non GM rental car in the parking lot.

Whomever warned you didn't know what the hell they were talking about. If you went to HQ (Renaissance Center) there are tons of other companies / businesses in the RenCen and the parking lots are shared. Hell, there are even charging stations for EVs in front of the RenCen that are open to and used by every brand of EV imaginable. If you went to the Tech Center, visitors get valet parking and they don't give a $#!t what you drive. If you went to a plant that has UAW workers, a good number of them are temporary workers supplied by hiring agencies until they get enough time on job to get brought on active roll. They drive whatever the hell they want and nobody f#%&s with them. Whomever told you that still has their head stuck in the '70s.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I mentioned the launch delay in the SP thread. Looks like it’s a real issue.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
His personal car is the 4 cylinder Camaro so that tells you something :)
QhSHpt3.png
That's why I said as a track driver he is going to lean more to the car with the better chassis dynamics. He bought a 2.0T 1LE when he could have easily bought an SS 1LE. He clearly cares more about the chassis than the powerplant. He acknowledged that for the GT500, the combination of engine + fresh tires could offset the better chassis, but he still made his choice based on chassis + cost.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Very surprised how well the Red Eye did on the track.
No surprises with the Camaro......rough ride with day to day usage.
Baked and aged tires on the Stang......Seriously.

A redo is in order!

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Referring to an earlier post, specifically the bold
…..
At the time I was working at the Buick Engine Plant and later the Buick Transmission Complex. UAW Local 599 represented. Google UAW 599 labor unrest when you get a minute. If ever there was a time and place for non-GM vehicles to get damaged in GM parking lots, that was the time. I never had a problem. I'm not saying that nobody ever did. I'm just saying the problems that did occur were over-reported and for someone in this day and age to tell you what they told you.... They were doing their best Jon Snow imitation (pardon the GoT reference). :bandit:
Sponsored