Sponsored

Throttle House puts the 2020 GT500, Camaro ZL1 and Challenger Hellcat Redeye on the track

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I do think the Camaro has the advantage in the handling department, and I am clearly not alone. Exactly how much is the question. We have some data, regardless of how flawed these individual comparisons might be, we are seeing very similar trends from each.

I think a track test of the two base models of the car will paint a better picture of that, due to the vastly different approaches to the track versions of the cars. If the handling capabilities are similar we should see a clear advantage for the GT500.

I understand that higher horsepower cars are going to struggle more with traction. This only goes to prove my point that too much power for the chassis is relevant. These cars are past the limits of what front engine rear wheel drive chassis' can do. Personally, I wouldn't want to *have* to put on a drag radial to avoid a smoke show every time I hit the gas.
The base ZL1 according to mortorend is among the best burnout cars they have ever had.

If you wan't to avoid a smoke-show, use your right foot responsibly....or wait until tractor controls improve.

As for trends, we have none. Some people still think the ZLE is faster around the track...and some thing the GT500 CFTP is faster.

In regards to handling, we have heard both are ~ 5 seconds faster than their siblings around a track. What track? Who knows.
Sponsored

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZL1, 2018 3.5 F-150, 2004 MSM
I can attest to that. It's not hard to do a burnout with 650 ft/lbs. Plenty of evidence of ZL1's losing races due traction loss.

That said, it's not too difficult to find the sweet spot on this car. The GT500, on the other hand, has received a few comments on just how difficult it is to hook up on the launch.

I'm pretty sure we actually agree on this point though, since as you stated, more horsepower reduces traction.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
I can attest to that. It's not hard to do a burnout with 650 ft/lbs. Plenty of evidence of ZL1's losing races due traction loss.

That said, it's not too difficult to find the sweet spot on this car. The GT500, on the other hand, has received a few comments on just how difficult it is to hook up on the launch.

I'm pretty sure we actually agree on this point though, since as you stated, more horsepower reduces traction.
Sadly I think it won’t be long till Ford, Dodge, and GM go AWD on many of their performance cars. Some like that and I see the appeal, however you can’t tell me you have an AWD muscle car.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Sadly I think it won’t be long till Ford, Dodge, and GM go AWD on many of their performance cars. Some like that and I see the appeal, however you can’t tell me you have an AWD muscle car.
Whatever

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
AWD for the win!

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Voodoo what I find laughable is that you think that Randy would not be unbiased in his approach to testing any car and his attitude towards driving the Mustang, there are many people that work in positions where they need to be unbiased in their job. Randy Pobst would need to be his reputation would need to unchallenged in this area. You like Blaq would always change the narrative to suit your tilt and no one could have a difference of opinion.

Also if a car comes with goodies that are factory parts like a Different PCM with a Factory tune then it is stock in 2 possible configurations.
Id bet $$ if u put a heartrate monitor on him while driving, the differences would be identifiable to even someone on the spectrum as yourself.

What narrative have i changed? Please quote and be sure to include context.

Show me the dodge parts that come in the pass seat or trunk at time of delivery..
Because it would seem, im not the one shifting definitions..

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
I agree. It just seems that a lot of camaro folks like to claim the ZL1 is only .3 slower than the GT500 at the drastrip....but many also claim that the ZL1 is just as fast at the strip as the street. My point is, you can't have both.

Consistency is great for bracket racing. I've seen many a stock pontiac grand-am win on bracket nights.
I'd agree your chances of running an advertised 11:40s with the A10 ZL1 on street/strip are probably much better than doing advertised 10:70s in the 500.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
THIS THREAD

Troll said:
Blah blah blah GT500 sucks. Blah blah blah Camaro better.
Ok, ok I get it. You guys love to sing that song. 40 pages of it.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
THIS THREAD

Ok, ok I get it. You guys love to sing that song. 40 pages of it.
It has a nice beat... I could dance to it. I give it a 10, Dick. Anybody else who gets that is old as $#!t.
Sponsored