Sponsored

Throttle House puts the 2020 GT500, Camaro ZL1 and Challenger Hellcat Redeye on the track

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Jeep gets a bad rap, but we have put 9K miles on our Wrangler in 6 months and it has been rock solid.
I'm glad you lucked out, knock on wood. I could give you detailed experiences with my '12 and '13 Wranglers (both of which I bought new), but it's not relevant to the thread. Let's just say the '12 was a disaster that I should have burned on the road side, and the '13 got me through 6.5 years before I had enough of annual repairs and decided to punt it for something (hopefully) more reliable, and I have doubts about owning another Jeep. This from a 4-time Wrangler owner.....
Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I'm glad you lucked out. I could give you my experiences with my '12 and '13 Wranglers (both of which I bought new), but it's not relevant to the thread. Let's just say the '12 was a disaster that I should have burned on the road side, and the '13 got me through 6.5 years before I had enough of annual repairs and decided to punt it for something (hopefully) more reliable, and I have doubts about owning another Jeep. This from a 4-time Wrangler owner.....
Bronco!!!!!!

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
On the other hand those same people seem to dismiss Randy's direct feedback that the tires on the GT500 were cooked for the track and that the GT500 would be faster on fresh tires than a ZL1 1LE. It's all right there on video, Randy said it.

You can't pick and choose what you want to believe from Randy. You either do or you don't.
It's called Camaro logic....

Sponsored

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
I look at the tire situation this way..... For context you have to listen to everything Randy said in that moments he was driving the GT500. Starting at 24:27 “It’s got Michelin Cup 2s on it. They’re not terribly fresh. Almost every tire will give you the best lap when it is brand new, with nothing but a warm up lap on it. Oh my god, this thing is fast. Mr. Shelby would be proud. Down boy, sit! Down boy, sit!....A little antsy.... A little more gentle with my inputs....oh, there’s grip...this thing’s fast...Oh my lord. It definitely feels like a hundred more horsepower than the Camaro. They’re not exaggerating that number. That carbon package with the carbon fiber wheels. You can feel that in the handling. Makes the car turn better. I hate to pull over.”

When describing how the Camaro won. “The Mustang arrived on tires that were well cooked. The Camaro is too good to be given that kind of a tire advantage.”

Now, the way I interpreted all this is
  • Both cars on fresh tires, CFTP wins. By how much depends on the track. On shorter tracks, the ZLE may still win because of the tuning of the Alpha chassis. We have yet to see a test that proves or disproves this. Looking forward to it, though.
  • Randy is smart enough to NOT drive a 760 hp car at high speed on suspect tires. That would be unsafe. The fact that he says, while driving, “oh, there’s grip” is an indication that they are not worn out. But they were clearly sub-optimal, so he would not get his best time out of it.
  • The implication here is that if a CFTP and a ZLE show up to the same track at the same time, with drivers of equivalent skill, the one with the fresher tires is most likely to win.
Now, one concern I have is that at some other point in this or another video, someone pointed out that Cup 2s are notorious for having a couple “hero laps” in them, then they drop off. This is what I think Randy meant by “well cooked”. They had already been driven through that optimal point. They weren’t bald or ready for duty as trackside barriers. They were beyond the “warm up lap plus a couple hot laps” condition. They were in that drop off range.

Nonsequitor...Anyone else notice that Randy has green tape over a sponsor logo on his left bicep? I wonder what sponsor isn’t ponying up (pun intended)
You're spinning more than the GT500 at this point.....3 people noticed at the time of arrival the tires were shot that's when they decided it was OK to do the track comp. first. Do you honestly believe Randy or these YTer's would ever hear the end of it if there was a good 5 plus second gapping at the track and the GT500 won the other 2 comps which we know it would with fresh tires? The Camaro Mafia would lose their minds.....Also what about the missing "aero", lack of camber on the GT500, and wheel time advantage of the track tester? Then there's the whole "Blue Ringer" brought in for the dig race.....what's that all about.

The evidence just isn't in favor of an "honest comparison" here and there's no way to spin it.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Bronco!!!!!!
Can't wait for them to get around to the full reveal. My DD Xterra is getting a bit tired. I've been leaning towards the Colorado ZR2 but always been more of an SUV fan.. if they have a Bronco model with some off-road chops it'll be tempting.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Can't wait for them to get around to the full reveal. My DD Xterra is getting a bit tired. I've been leaning towards the Colorado ZR2 but always been more of an SUV fan.. if they have a Bronco model with some off-road chops it'll be tempting.
I was off-roading last summer in Moab Utah and Ford was there testing the Bronco. I have some contacts with some of the trail guides and they said the Bronco was having some issues with the tougher trails. Hopefully they iron it out.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
I was off-roading last summer in Moab Utah and Ford was there testing the Bronco. I have some contacts with some of the trail guides and they said the Bronco was having some issues with the tougher trails. Hopefully they iron it out.
Well, with IFS I don't expect it to be Rubicon level, but at least all-around capable. Front and rear lockers, proper low range. Ability to fit at least 33's without trimming would be nice. Ford has the Raptor for high speed desert running, so it would be cool if they oriented the Bronco more towards the rock crawling side of things.

I need to get back to Moab, been too long.

Sponsored

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
If they do a Raptor Bronco, I'm in.
Same. Liking the new Defender too. Once I get the 500 paid off, one of those two is next to fulfill my ongoing car addiction. Lol

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Well, with IFS I don't expect it to be Rubicon level, but at least all-around capable. Front and rear lockers, proper low range. Ability to fit at least 33's without trimming would be nice. Ford has the Raptor for high speed desert running, so it would be cool if they oriented the Bronco more towards the rock crawling side of things.

I need to get back to Moab, been too long.
We have family near there so I go as much as I can. My bother in law has a heavily modified 19 Rubicon that can do anything. He knows all the trails like the back of his hand.

It’s so much fun. I’ve always been a sports car track guy, but have got the rock crawling disease now too. Too many expensive hobbies!

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
ZR2 and Raptors are as "off road track ready" as a ZLE or GT500 CFTP are track ready. I have the ZR2 and my cousin has the Raptor. We've got an off road spot where we can basically carve out an off road course similar to an autox. These trucks handle like camaros and mustangs at speed off road. Too much fun!

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
We have family near there so I go as much as I can. My bother in law has a heavily modified 19 Rubicon that can do anything. He knows all the trails like the back of his hand.

It’s so much fun. I’ve always been a sports car track guy, but have got the rock crawling disease now too. Too many expensive hobbies!
See my post above. You could be a sports TRUCK track guy too. :)

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Noone argues opinion, they argue numbers, so as long as he sandbags and lets the numbers show a lesser car is "faster" hes biased hired propaganda to me.

I said it months ago, The driver in him loves the 500. The accountant in him loves the camaro
Sponsored