Sponsored

Throttle House puts the 2020 GT500, Camaro ZL1 and Challenger Hellcat Redeye on the track

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hahaha, they're doing a double "moon landing" ... :cwl:

[edit]

OK, the opening bit, that's pretty f-ing funny :D

So it looked like they were manually shifting on the standing-start and the roll-on race[?] Weird, when DCT/autos are supplied, let the car shift.

... lap_times + explanation = not_surprised ...

Same for the what-would-you-choose (given the overall results and *ahem*, one participants standard preference.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Throttle House + Camissa + Pobst + 3 ridiculously awesome cars = best video review in a long time.

Results make sense, as do the preferences. The drag race did surprise me a bit, but the more I hear about launch control....maybe not so much.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Randy Pobst "The tires on the GT500 were shot when we got the car which affected the lap times".

He seemed confident that a GT500 with fresh Cup2's would have beat the ZLE.

Three of the guys picked the GT500 as the overall winner. Randy picked the ZLE (he loves the Camaro and owns one)

Last edited:

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Randy Pobst "The tires on the GT500 were shot when we got the car which affected the lap times".

He seemed confident that a GT500 with fresh Cup2's would have beat the ZLE.

Three of the guys picked the GT500 as the overall winner. Randy picked the ZLE (he loves the Camaro and owns one).
Dude ... spoiler tag!!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
How is it a couple a YouTube yahoos manage to put a useful same day test together and the million-dollar magazines can't get their act together? I wish they had normalized on new track-spec rubber though. The Hellcat might have knocked off 2 seconds had it had Cup2R's instead of street tires. Wouldn't change the 'big girl' problem though.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hahaha, they're doing a double "moon landing" ... :cwl:

[edit]

OK, the opening bit, that's pretty f-ing funny :D

So it looked like they were manually shifting on the standing-start and the roll-on race[?] Weird, when DCT/autos are supplied, let the car shift.

... lap_times + explanation = not_surprised ...

Same for the what-would-you-choose (given the overall results and *ahem*, one participants standard preference.
He's a track driver. He's gonna pick the one that he thinks has the better handling chassis. At least he did concede that tires would have made a difference. The fact that he owns a 4-cylinder version of the car he owns shows that for him it's more about chassis dynamics.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
... and he made a point about the pricing, "... and I'm cheap, what a value ..." :wink:
Quite frankly, between those three cars that's probably where I would have landed for the same reason. That plus other content not available in the other two at any price. The real truth of the matter, though, is if I were gonna spend those prices on a car, base GT500 and base ZL1 would be more likely considerations for me. I like tracking cars, but would much prefer the ZL1 drive quality over the ZLE and would never pay the additional $18.5k for CFTP.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
BTW, I did find it slightly peculiar they swapped out the ZLE for a "regular" ZL1 for the drag/roll comparison - I mean, compare the cars, the GT500 has an aero disadvantage for some metrics as well (or swap out to a non-CFTP car).

Don't get me wrong, very solid video, nicely setup comparo, good narrative around the three cars, that just stood out as a bit of a head scratcher.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW, I did find it slightly peculiar they swapped out the ZLE for a "regular" ZL1 for the drag/roll comparison - I mean, compare the cars, the GT500 has an aero disadvantage for some metrics as well (or swap out to a non-CFTP car).

Don't get me wrong, very solid video, nicely setup comparo, good narrative around the three cars, that just stood out as a bit of a head scratcher.
I was thinking the same thing. Why not put a base GT500 in the drag test? I think the answer to this is that the Throttle House guys typically use owner supplied cars. Good on them that they were able to get a CFTP. Getting one of each would have been like lightning striking twice this early in the launch. ZL1's been around a few years, so finding one of each would have been a lot easier.
Sponsored