Sponsored

Thoughts & opinions on --> ROUSH MAX COOLING UPGRADE?

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Please correct me if I'm imagining something that doesn't make sense, but this cooling kit seems to have completely different purpose from KC - while KC is great at reducing IAT2 temps when car is idling in pit lanes, this kit would be pretty much useless in this scenario because there is no airflow around these added radiators. What it might do well though is to keep the car running cooler under continuous load, e.g. hpde event. And that would include engine too due to added oil cooler and additional airflow, as well as extra heat extractors on fenders.

I would be very interested to know if it helps do more laps on race track between cooldowns for SC mustang.

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Please correct me if I'm imagining something that doesn't make sense, but this cooling kit seems to have completely different purpose from KC - while KC is great at reducing IAT2 temps when car is idling in pit lanes, this kit would be pretty much useless in this scenario because there is no airflow around these added radiators. What it might do well though is to keep the car running cooler under continuous load, e.g. hpde event. And that would include engine too due to added oil cooler and additional airflow, as well as extra heat extractors on fenders.

I would be very interested to know if it helps do more laps on race track between cooldowns for SC mustang.
Thatā€™s why I said I want real world numbers vs what Roush says.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
First hand experience tuning these new Roush sc kits.

The intercooler is trash, even feeding it very cold fluid doesnā€™t result In the temp drop you expect.

when you can run the crap out of the car check the IAts and find them sky high and touch the ic return line with your hand, big waste of money.

The most cost effective thing a Roush owner can do is pull the supercharger off and swap it with a different supercharger.

And Iā€™m not saying you canā€™t go fast, diminishing returnsā€¦

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The kit doesnā€™t solve the route cause of the issue for a street driven vehicle, that being that the intercooler (under the blower) is getting baked by the transfer of heat from the heads into the blower casing/intercooler.
So, your IATā€™s slowly creep up, whether youā€™re using boost or not. Worse still at traffic lights for obvious reasons.

Now, without empirical evidence itā€™s hard to prove, but, from where I sit, a street driven car would profit a lot more from simply isolating the intercooler from the heads via phenolics spacers. It certainly worked a treat on every vehicle Iā€™ve seen them fitted to.

The potential increase in under-bonnet airflow may help a little. Again, proper testing would be handy.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you can put your hand on the way return intercooler line and itā€™s not burning hot but your iats are sky high, Spacers Arenā€™t going to help much.

Look at the guys running chillers and ask yourself why the chiller is not as big of an impact as it is on other blowers.
Iā€™m not bashing the chillers (they have their place) they just donā€™t do what they normally would because the intercooler brick is so back at exchanging heat.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Folks, you are missing few important points, specifically added secondary oil cooler, good extra openings in the bumper (more cooler air in into engine bay) and side vents for more hot air out of engine bay. This stuff won't help much when the car is standing still on traffic light or staging lane right before a pull, so it's most likely not so much for drag racing at all. I would expect better overall heat management for supercharged engines. Now, the question is how much it really help for things like CHT under load.

Also, there is a huge thread on Roush superchargers, it makes more sense to do intercooler design hating there šŸ˜€. This thread is not about it, let's keep it to the topic please.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Folks, you are missing few important points, specifically added secondary oil cooler, good extra openings in the bumper (more cooler air in into engine bay) and side vents for more hot air out of engine bay. This stuff won't help much when the car is standing still on traffic light or staging lane right before a pull, so it's most likely not so much for drag racing at all. I would expect better overall heat management for supercharged engines. Now, the question is how much it really help for things like CHT under load.

Also, there is a huge thread on Roush superchargers, it makes more sense to do intercooler design hating there šŸ˜€. This thread is not about it, let's keep it to the topic please.
No oneā€™s hating and this is the exact thread for this information.

Thereā€™s no reason for any of us to lie to each other just so we can feel better.

From the comments you made about cylinder head temperature Iā€™m going to assume your in the ā€œwant to believeā€ camp.

Ask the guys with 160 degree thermostats how that works for them.

Watch the CJ pony parts video it is truly cringe worthy.

The Roush guy doesnā€™t even believe in their own product.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
No oneā€™s hating and this is the exact thread for this information.

Thereā€™s no reason for any of us to lie to each other just so we can feel better.

From the comments you made about cylinder head temperature Iā€™m going to assume your in the ā€œwant to believeā€ camp.

Ask the guys with 160 degree thermostats how that works for them.

Watch the CJ pony parts video it is truly cringe worthy.

The Roush guy doesnā€™t even believe in their own product.
Sorry man, you've lost me on this camp thing. Do you have anything constructive to add on the cooling kit itself, like some before/after numbers, temps data and etc? I think that would help the most.

If you want to keep discussing how bad roush sc itself is, especially for tuning, performance and drag runs, then by all means. What you say about intercooler design is well known fact, I'm not trying to argue that. But please do it in the dedicated thread.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
I agree with TX-Ripper for the most part... I have this blower and the killer chiller. I was able to snag the car for such a good price with the blower that it was actually cost effective for me to add some decent cooling mods. I couldn't see paying for this blower and running mid 11's on average... I know some have run 10's, but you just don't see that normally. With headers and a tune I ran 10.4 @ 133. Now I have the KC, BAP, headers, and tune. I should be consistently low 10's. Not too bad for less than 5000 in mods... (that includes labor).

But if you have to add the 10k+ for the blower.... I'd have gone whipple or Odin.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
There is truth to the whole direct heat transfer issue, hence why others have developed phenolic spacers.

Perhaps the issue is a combination of both undersized or undercapable cooling and direct heat soak from the motor.

Killer Chiller seems to me like a better option than an ice tank but no one has confirmed whether it drips condensation.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
There is truth to the whole direct heat transfer issue, hence why others have developed phenolic spacers.

Perhaps the issue is a combination of both undersized or undercapable cooling and direct heat soak from the motor.

Killer Chiller seems to me like a better option than an ice tank but no one has confirmed whether it drips condensation.
It does not.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you can put your hand physically on the coolant return line after making a 1/4 mile pass that showed 140-150+ iat temps and the line does not burn your hand, you have a problem.

A chiller might be the best bandaid, but itā€™s just that (and might add ac problems)

Iā€™m not hating on Roush, all of their previous blowers held their own, and I have tuned some fast ones.
Sponsored