Thoughts on the 2023 Z06?

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The purpose built and hand built race engine in the C8R that launched a couple of years ago is not near as exotic as the new mass produced 5.5L engine that will come in the new Z06 which is totally unproven and remains to be seen in the real world as to how it holds up.

Chevrolet thought that they had it all figured out with the 7th generation Z06 and as you may or may not know there were not one but two Class-Action Lawsuits levied against General Motors with GM losing the first Class-Action Lawsuit due to engine cooling issues on the Z06 and not only at the track but in some cases on the street. Hate to be one of the 30,000 owners of that Z06 model and trying to sell it after some ownership time.

A second Class-Action Lawsuit was levied against the same Z06 model whereby some wheels were faulty and started to crack and warp and believe that lawsuit is ongoing.

Any automotive manufacturer can make big power but when you start getting into mass produced engines that develop close to 700 HP and are revving up to 8,600 RPM there is a big difference between a hand built race engine and a mass produced engine for the masses which will certainly be subject to all kinds of abuse and unprofessional behavior.

I hope that all goes well for Chevrolet with this exotic 5.5L FPC engine and the Z06/Z07 models but until we see hundreds of thousands of miles under its belt and in real world conditions the jury is still out.
Great take and response. I also read about leaky removable roof lines.
Just like the reason dodge and 500 did not make vert. Power and stability.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Here is a dose of reality for Ford… they cancel production of the 5.2L, 526hp FPC GT350…the crown jewel of the normally aspirated Mustang platform…Chevy introduces a new C8 Z06 with a FPC 5.5L, 670hp engine…up roughly 140hp over the GT350’s 5.2L… Ford counters by dropping 10hp from across their Mustang line up. Ouch.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Here is a dose of reality for Ford… they cancel production of the 5.2L, 526hp FPC GT350…the crown jewel of the normally aspirated Mustang platform…Chevy introduces a new C8 Z06 with a FPC 5.5L, 670hp engine…up roughly 140hp over the GT350’s 5.2L… Ford counters by dropping 10hp from across their Mustang line up. Ouch.
This is so out of touch, lol. This car isn't even competing with Ford or any of their offerings. Those aren't even on the radar. This car is going after Porsche and Ferrari market share.

On top of that, if anything GM is giving Ford a compliment by following their lead from over 5 years ago and building a properly good non pushrod performance engine. It's amazing what you can do when you aren't hamstrung by fixed limitations and can build exactly what works best.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Thoughts? Initially it looks like a winner. I haven't crossed it off yet like I have others when considering what I would replace my R with. I know this, I will not get a Z07. The headache worry of CF wheels and splitter scrape... Most likely a 2LZ would be in my future.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a38066796/2023-corvette-zo6-lt6-explainer/
Great read on the engineering behind the engine specifically
Thanks to Ewheels and s2ms for posting those great reads, with a lot of nice insights :thumbsup:

Interesting (and somewhat expected) that GM also had issues with oil filters vibrating off prototype engines during development. I wonder how much GM kept tabs on some of the same issues Ford was dealing with on the Voodoo, and having all those lessons factored in. Because it seems that the oil filters spinning off caught them off guard - 'Juechter even said that early prototypes were so violent, oil filters were spinning off during testing. "It was like there were ghosts in the machine..." '
Also will be interesting to see if GM uses a canister-style filter on this LT6 engine as well.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
This is so out of touch, lol. This car isn't even competing with Ford or any of their offerings. Those aren't even on the radar. This car is going after Porsche and Ferrari market share.

On top of that, if anything GM is giving Ford a compliment by following their lead from over 5 years ago and building a properly good non pushrod performance engine. It's amazing what you can do when you aren't hamstrung by fixed limitations and can build exactly what works best.
Maybe you are correct but… Chevy/GM took what groundwork Ford pioneered with the Shelby FPC and pushed the envelope to the next level. Agreed the the C8 is not a direct competitor to the GT350 but could be considered a direct competitor to the latest GT40 program. Which of course has the eco-boost derived V6 with less hp. Sure would be nice if Ford built a dedicated V8 specifically designed for their performance applications not hamstrung by prior constraints from what…30yrs ago? Kudos to GM/Chevy for building this and keeping the bean counters at bay. It is great to see continuous advancement of the ICE in today’s climate. But hey… we got the Mach E!

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thoughts? Initially it looks like a winner. I haven't crossed it off yet like I have others when considering what I would replace my R with. I know this, I will not get a Z07. The headache worry of CF wheels and splitter scrape... Most likely a 2LZ would be in my future.
Pretty sure it comes with nose lift to avoid scrapes.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Based on your comments about GM being able to build exactly what works best, I really like your confidence and optimism with respect to the durability and endurance challenges of Chevrolet's upcoming 5.5L FPC Z06 engine but it is obviously neither you or anyone else has any idea as to how this engine will endure over the long term.

Assuming that GM will warranty this exotic engine with their typical 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty it will be very interesting to see how this engine holds up over the next few years especially when taken to the limit at many track events.

As far as the Z06 not competing with any Ford offerings, don't kid yourself as there is no question that at some point in time there will be numerous comparisons between the upcoming 2023 Corvette Z06 and the final year for the 2022 Ford GT even though they may not be direct competitors.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I keep reading in this thread that GM didn’t have a budget for this 5.5 FPC engine. It’s been said “unlimited budget” for development.
Anyone have documentation on this? I doubt any company gives a blank check to develop “anything”.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Pretty sure it comes with nose lift to avoid scrapes.
It is not standard. It is a rather expensive option. Not sure if that option is even available for the Z07.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I keep reading in this thread that GM didn’t have a budget for this 5.5 FPC engine. It’s been said “unlimited budget” for development.
Anyone have documentation on this? I doubt any company gives a blank check to develop “anything”.
They said it in the reveal video

OP
OP
V8 Voodoo

V8 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
Based on your comments about GM being able to build exactly what works best, I really like your confidence and optimism with respect to the durability and endurance challenges of Chevrolet's upcoming 5.5L FPC Z06 engine but it is obviously neither you or anyone else has any idea as to how this engine will endure over the long term.

Assuming that GM will warranty this exotic engine with their typical 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty it will be very interesting to see how this engine holds up over the next few years especially when taken to the limit at many track events.

As far as the Z06 not competing with any Ford offerings, don't kid yourself as there is no question that at some point in time there will be numerous comparisons between the upcoming 2023 Corvette Z06 and the final year for the 2022 Ford GT even though they may not be direct competitors.
My hometown dealer was recently acquired by Morries Automotive. They offer a lifetime powertrain warranty unlimited mile and 15 year, 999,999 mile bumper to bumper warranty for any vehicle they sell. I recently bought a 5.0 V8 2021 F-150 and they told me about this warranty. I said BS, let me see the fine print (I'm an attorney). Sure as shit, they do. The GM was standing right there, I said, so if I buy a new GT500 or even the new Z06 that is coming out, and in 20 years, I need a new motor, it's covered? They said yes. The warranty for my truck was $3K, and anything I don't use is prorated back to me when I sell it.
Sponsored