Sponsored

Thoughts on best boost (50 state legal) for 2020 PP2 with 3.73 axlwe ratio?

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Loved my 2016 6R80 3.15 axle ratio with a whipple. Recently bought a 2020 PP2 (3.73 axle ratio) and am looking at boost options. Unfortunately, I am headed to CA soon so I need a 50 state legal kit and will be octane limited. I haven't driven a boosted manual car. My only planned mods are PS4 tires and the blower kit. Not looking for huge HP numbers. Not looking for a straight line beast, went with the PP2 and magnaride for the fun of driving it.

Questions:
1- Will traction with a PD blower be even harder to get with a manual 3.73 versus my 6R80 3.15? Will it be easier or harder to manage the traction with a manual?
2- Will a centri provide any low end power? Never driven one, just heard the power comes on later than a PD. Under 3,500 rpm's, will it be stock power level? How good of a match is a centri with a 3.73 manual? The gearing feels like it lacks torque in 1st as is. I was expecting it to feel stronger off the line...
3- I'll probably keep the canned tune from the blower company. Or, will need a tune I can easily switch back and forth when I need to get it smogged. Loved whipple's simplicity of flashing a tune.
4- 91 octane and no e85 close by. Is a centri or PD better for us guys with an octane handicap?

Anything else I should consider? Thanks in advacne for any feedback!
Sponsored

erikkire18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Hellion TT
Loved my 2016 6R80 3.15 axle ratio with a whipple. Recently bought a 2020 PP2 (3.73 axle ratio) and am looking at boost options. Unfortunately, I am headed to CA soon so I need a 50 state legal kit and will be octane limited. I haven't driven a boosted manual car. My only planned mods are PS4 tires and the blower kit. Not looking for huge HP numbers. Not looking for a straight line beast, went with the PP2 and magnaride for the fun of driving it.

Questions:
1- Will traction with a PD blower be even harder to get with a manual 3.73 versus my 6R80 3.15? Will it be easier or harder to manage the traction with a manual?
2- Will a centri provide any low end power? Never driven one, just heard the power comes on later than a PD. Under 3,500 rpm's, will it be stock power level? How good of a match is a centri with a 3.73 manual? The gearing feels like it lacks torque in 1st as is. I was expecting it to feel stronger off the line...
3- I'll probably keep the canned tune from the blower company. Or, will need a tune I can easily switch back and forth when I need to get it smogged. Loved whipple's simplicity of flashing a tune.
4- 91 octane and no e85 close by. Is a centri or PD better for us guys with an octane handicap?

Anything else I should consider? Thanks in advacne for any feedback!

Had 3.73 on my car and swapped out for 3.31, i spun in 1st and 2nd with 3.73. Boost is always better with longer gears, the more time in gear the more time in boost. now i have a t-56 with the 3.31 and only shift from 2nd to 3rd haha still spin in 1st. also depends what power your gonna make

PD blower your gonna spin for sure with 3.73 MT-82, my buddy had a procharger with 3.31 and from a dig it lacks a bit of torque but top end pushes you in the seat.

CA is horrible for smog and better off getting a hot smog. But if your gonna be on 91 than youll be ok just make sure it has the carb legal sticker. I would personally delete the cats on any boosted car but if you wanna pass emissions than thats out the pic. don't plan to make a lot of boost with the horrible "91" octane CA has, thats what limited me so i did full E85.

Oh and get ready for CHP or PD to pull you over for BS reasons and give you a exhaust ticket or tint, those sideshows people do here in CA ruin everything for normal people who just wanna drive/enjoy their cars and respect the roads.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Procharger makes a solid smog/CARB kit.

You'll also want something much better than PS4s those spin NA definitely can't handle boost. Check out something like 555r2. Streetable DR that can hook power and still handle dd / rain.

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Is the procharger going to feel like stock power below 3,500 rpm's?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Is the procharger going to feel like stock power below 3,500 rpm's?
Centri pairs well with your gearing where PD not so much. Low rpms will be calm til you get on it. But if you're looking for instant low end Whipple stage 1 has a Carb option too.

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Whipple, Procharger, Edelbrock all have C.A.R.B approved superchargers. The stage II Gen V unit from Whipple that's in my car is C.A.R.B approved as well.

If you want the down low torque, then PD is for you . If you want the torque to come in later, the Centri is for you. If you are familiar with turbos and how the big turbo cars power curve is, then that's the power delivery of a Centri. At over 8K for a unit, research is a must. I live by the motto of "buy once, cry once" and do my due diligence when buying a high dollar item. You don't want to buy something and not expect it to perform how you want it to.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Ok for a manual the centrifugal is going to get off the line slower but we are talking about 1/2 to 1 second In the 60’. Now in a drag race that can be significant. But on the street it’s not gonna matter as much. then the centrifugal will make it Up in the top end
Also My California smog legal kit made 892 to the wheels so I don’t think just because it’s a smog legal kit that it can’t hold its own

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Had 3.73 on my car and swapped out for 3.31, i spun in 1st and 2nd with 3.73. Boost is always better with longer gears, the more time in gear the more time in boost. now i have a t-56 with the 3.31 and only shift from 2nd to 3rd haha still spin in 1st. also depends what power your gonna make

PD blower your gonna spin for sure with 3.73 MT-82, my buddy had a procharger with 3.31 and from a dig it lacks a bit of torque but top end pushes you in the seat.

CA is horrible for smog and better off getting a hot smog. But if your gonna be on 91 than youll be ok just make sure it has the carb legal sticker. I would personally delete the cats on any boosted car but if you wanna pass emissions than thats out the pic. don't plan to make a lot of boost with the horrible "91" octane CA has, thats what limited me so i did full E85.

Oh and get ready for CHP or PD to pull you over for BS reasons and give you a exhaust ticket or tint, those sideshows people do here in CA ruin everything for normal people who just wanna drive/enjoy their cars and respect the roads.
What year is your car? The 3.73's will be fine on a 2018+ MT 82 car because the transmission gearing is much different than a 15-17 MT 82.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
The Whipple canned tune was good on my 2016. I went for more power with a tuner and missed the drivability of the Whipple.

erikkire18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Hellion TT
What year is your car? The 3.73's will be fine on a 2018+ MT 82 car because the transmission gearing is much different than a 15-17 MT 82.
its a 15 but yah ive heard that the 18+ are a bit different, they even come with twin disk oem im t-56 magnum now and wouldn't go back to mt-82, just my opinion

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If you are looking for specific advice on passing smog test with a FI system I suggest verifying anybody giving advice has actually passed an emissions test with the system they are suggesting. If they have an Ngauge they can easily provide a picture of their IM monitors readiness on the gauge, don’t think you will find many passing O2 & HO2 (which are required to pass the test).

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
If you are looking for specific advice on passing smog test with a FI system I suggest verifying anybody giving advice has actually passed an emissions test with the system they are suggesting. If they have an Ngauge they can easily provide a picture of their IM monitors readiness on the gauge, don’t think you will find many passing O2 & HO2 (which are required to pass the test).

The OP was asking for CA specifically. The Whipple has a CARB EO number and as long as he has the stock cats installed at the time of inspection, he's good to go. CA doesn't do tailpipe sniff tests on newer cars. I know my 2002 Honda, just has the readiness monitors checked and a visual, nothing more.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The OP was asking for CA specifically. The Whipple has a CARB EO number and as long as he has the stock cats installed at the time of inspection, he's good to go. CA doesn't do tailpipe sniff tests on newer cars. I know my 2002 Honda, just has the readiness monitors checked and a visual, nothing more.
thats all fine and dandy, just telling him to be carefulwhat To believe. People love to just parrot what they’ve heard or read. For example I am guessing youdont Have a Whipple on Whipples tune or have ever tried to pass an emissions test with that setup. Have you? Can you provide a picture of your emissions monitors readines on your boosted S550?

oops I see you do have a carb Whipple setup. Have you tried passing emissions with it yet? What state are your monitors at right now, specifically O2 and HO2?
Sponsored