Thoughts on a rental 19 GT convertible

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
So I had a 2019 GT convertible rental for four days in upper Minnesota. I have a 2018 GT350, so how do they compare? Well I do like to push cars and see how they do..not just in a straight line....but in turn and braking. When I got the car in Duluth I dropped the top, turned on the seat heater and the vent heat too. I set it to Sport + for engine and suspension and the steering to sport. I set the transmission to S, and did my own shifts...

It was a fun car and felt great with the top down going up RT61 along the shore (temp was 64 degrees). There are small towns on that road and cops do catch speeders, so I kept it at 70 or under. When I turned onto RT1 North, the fun began.....its a twisty and undulating road with good pavement and little or no traffic and no cops to be seen. I mostly left it in 3rd or 4th gear and just rolled on and off the throttle for the 60 or so miles to Ely. So where does it not match the 350?, in the turns and braking.....and not as much oomph and the voodoo engine. In turns where the 350 would carve away with no problems, I could feel the GT push the outer front wheel and the chassis would say no more. The brakes began to fade and lose bite too and overall stopping power was not as nearly as much. Tires do play a part in all of this. The transmission was ok in S mode, once I got used to it, but I still like a manual. Of course Hertz does not offer that up. No rental car companies do.

So it was a fun few days having fun in a convertible in the North Woods and worth the money. I'd love to see a convertible GT350 though......that would be awesome. It had full leather, and its puzzling why Ford does not offer that option on the 350. I really liked the leather dash. Plus to change it out on the 350, its a whole new dash and frame. Pricey and lots of labor to do, so I wont.
Sponsored

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury GT Premium Vert
I have hertz to thank for spending a hell of a lot of money. Wife flew in to Houston to meet me at the end of job in June. When I booked her rental, I saw it was only a couple hundred bucks more to get a 19 Mustang GT vert over a mid size car for 10 days, so I said what the hell. Wife had a vert in college and always talked about missing it. We found ourselves finding excuses every night just to drive the rental, blasting AC/DC and making all the kids cringe at the old fart in a mid life crisis. Lol. That extra couple hundred bucks cost me nearly 45k a month later when bought her a demo 18 vert.

OP
OP
DCShelby

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Hi
Yes I’m 55 and it was fun to drive around with the top down a night listening to Hair Nation on XM. Up north you can still see the Milky Way and lots of stars, two nights I saw the Northern lights with the top down too. Had it on Deep Cuts that time. The GT is a great late night cruiser.

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Inching up on 45 myself. The vert was a blast tooling around the waterfront area near Baytown (suburb of Houston.) Its so hot during the day you can’t put the top down but night is awesome. Theres a huge suspension bridge over the bay that is lit up at night, and that’s almost surreal driving over that and looking up at the glowing structure with the cool mist off the water. It’s almost like a Thoreau poem. The wife was driving when I was staring at the bridge by the way. Lol

Cruising the Galveston beach road was pretty cool too and perving on the 20 year old girls. Lol. Man how I wish I had this car when I was 20.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Was a Perf Pack car? With Magneride? Sounds like it with the mode control, I just didn't realize they had rental cars with those options.

Hi
The GT is a great late night cruiser.
There's something pretty amazing about a convertible out at night, some of my favorite cruises have been quiet back roads in the fall, heaters all on, top down, with no light pollution, just a sky filled with stars.

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
+ Perf pack
+ Square 285/35 10" wheel/tires

Rerun test and modify to suit.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
+ Perf pack
+ Square 285/35 10" wheel/tires

Rerun test and modify to suit.

Yeah, see my post above, not sure if this was a PP car, he mentioned mode selections but they may have just been engine, steering, because if it was suspension too that indicates PP + Magneride which would be +shocking+ as a option on a rental car.

I've been absolutely blown away by my new '19 with PP + MR. The Perf Pack on a vert adds a decent amount of chassis stiffening, and certainly with the A10, the 3.55 rear end really livens things up (especially in S + :D)

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
To be fair I don’t think it was a fair comparison simply because the GT is a convertible. You’re losing a lot of structural rigidity with a convertible and I just don’t think it’s meant to do what a regular GT would in terms of handling. The convertible is also gonna be heavier as well. The GT350 is still a great car and no doubt handles better but I don’t think you really got the full comparison between a GT and a GT350 since it would be a better comparison to compare only the coupe versions.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
To be fair I don’t think it was a fair comparison simply because the GT is a convertible. You’re losing a lot of structural rigidity with a convertible and I just don’t think it’s meant to do what a regular GT would in terms of handling. The convertible is also gonna be heavier as well. The GT350 is still a great car and no doubt handles better but I don’t think you really got the full comparison between a GT and a GT350 since it would be a better comparison to compare only the coupe versions.
I think it was just a general comparison with a car he happened to rent, I don't believe anyone would argue a coupe would be a better car to compare *if* it was about maximum performance consideration. i.e., this wasn't about diminishing the capabilities of the GT, just, "Here's another Mustang I got to drive, here's a few thoughts".

Like I said, the OP and/or anyone, definitely has to check out a Perf Pack with Magneride in a convertible, it would easily give a pre-MY18 Coupe a run for its money on track :D

FWIW, this same user posted a fantastic summary of his Mustang vs. a 911 (997 series), really fun read.

My mistake, different user, here's the thread anyway :D

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...stang-gt-pp-vs-997-porsche-911-manual.128187/

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I think it was just a general comparison with a car he happened to rent, I don't believe anyone would argue a coupe would be a better car to compare *if* it was about maximum performance consideration. i.e., this wasn't about diminishing the capabilities of the GT, just, "Here's another Mustang I got to drive, here's a few thoughts".

Like I said, the OP and/or anyone, definitely has to check out a Perf Pack with Magneride in a convertible, it would easily give a pre-MY18 Coupe a run for its money on track :D

FWIW, this same user posted a fantastic summary of his Mustang vs. a 911 (997 series), really fun read.

My mistake, different user, here's the thread anyway :D

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...stang-gt-pp-vs-997-porsche-911-manual.128187/
Oops my bad his second sentence where he said “I have a 2018 GT350, so how do they compare?” made it seem like a comparison.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
so a GT350 that costs 20-30,000 MORE, and designed specifically as a racecar is more powerful and handles better than a automatic base car on all season tires.

Good to know man...

And they dont make convertible GT350s because the GT350 is a racecar... It would be silly to do that... Because cutting the top off significantly reduces the tortional rigidity of the chassis...

Sigh...

2018Creamsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All the hertz rentals I’ve seen are silver 2019 401a A10 GTs with the 9 speaker stereo and ugly wheels, definitely no magnetorheological shocks.

Go another trip coming up and might get the Camaro next tine. They even have z06 corvettes but they want an obscene amount of money for them, $3000/day! I could rent a brand new mclaren on Turo for nearly 3 days for that.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
I have hertz to thank for spending a hell of a lot of money. Wife flew in to Houston to meet me at the end of job in June. When I booked her rental, I saw it was only a couple hundred bucks more to get a 19 Mustang GT vert over a mid size car for 10 days, so I said what the hell. Wife had a vert in college and always talked about missing it. We found ourselves finding excuses every night just to drive the rental, blasting AC/DC and making all the kids cringe at the old fart in a mid life crisis. Lol. That extra couple hundred bucks cost me nearly 45k a month later when bought her a demo 18 vert.
I love a good story with a $45,000 happy ending!

Tyeayo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
SAME HERE!

My experience was down in San Francisco last year for a week. I rented through costco, thinking it would be a base model Mustang....it was only the wife and I, so no need for the usual Mid size SUV we usually get when we bring the kiddos. I get the keys, walk around the corner, and spy the row of mustangs... and I also see the 5.0 badge on the side! I'm like "holy moly" are they really renting out V8 mustangs??

We found some beautiful stretches of wide open straight aways on 101, as well as an awesome 3/4 mile tunnel, and had a ball!
Sponsored