Sponsored

Thoughts on a different method to 'electrify' Mustang... super/ultra capacitor technology.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Yes, but I've been reading about them for a decade. Really want to see them happen. Maybe the current interest in EV's will result in more money and effort going toward research.
Fingers crossed QuantumScape has a real breakthrough in the near future. I'd be much more interested in that than a hybrid.
Sponsored

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
OP
OP
Mach VII

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
The weak link for EV's is the power grid.
I have many customers and a few friends with electric vehicles. I would say over half of them have solar panels that certainly help charge said vehicles all year long. The beauty of the super capacitor is it requires no connection to the grid as used in the Lambo.

Last edited:

Hobohunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2007 Audi S4, 2016 Mustang GT/CS (sold)
Not exactly an insurmountable engineering challenge.
It's not really an engineering challenge. It's just a challenge of either building or importing more power to make up for the additional loading, or forcing customers to charge their cars overnight or otherwise off-peak usage times.
Power usage drops dramatically overnight as residential customers and businesses that don't operate overnight shut down. The amount of power that was being used would still be available overnight, if demand were there.
You don't need to redesign the grid to get this power to customers, you just need to make or buy enough power to get to them. Some customers might need bigger transformers, or lines capable of supplying more power, but that's a problem power companies deal with regardless of EVs.
Sponsored