Sponsored

Thoughts guys...4.09:1 gears or the FRPP Power kit for my 2020 Mustang GT PP1 manual

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Did you buy whole diff? If so where? Just trying to find out more info thanks
Nope bought the Ford Performance gears and installation kit, and replaced the 3.73's in my stock diff with them.
Sponsored

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
My 19 gt is at a mechanic getting the 4.09 gears installed. He just called me and said my carrier is cracked and I have to replace it. It’s another 180 dollar part. Is this something that is an issue on mustang rear ends? He said if I drove with it like that it would fail eventually. But on a mustang with 6k miles should that be a issue?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
My 19 gt is at a mechanic getting the 4.09 gears installed. He just called me and said my carrier is cracked and I have to replace it. It’s another 180 dollar part. Is this something that is an issue on mustang rear ends? He said if I drove with it like that it would fail eventually. But on a mustang with 6k miles should that be a issue?
Never heard of that happening before.

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
As a retired auto tech I've never seen or heard of that happening. I would ask to see the damaged unit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Shouldn't that also be covered under warranty. Maybe he broke it and is looking to cover his butt...now if its not at a Ford dealer doing the install I would be highly suspicious.

Sponsored

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I have a Lund e85 tune and I just had the 4.09 gears installed. Now my rear view camera, traction control, cruise control rev matching no longer work. I even got the wrench popping up. I was told I don’t need a new tune with this. I even flashed it back to flex tune but after driving it around the same issue popped up. Is this cause they messed up installing the gears or is it the tune? I’m pulling out my hair.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I have a Lund e85 tune and I just had the 4.09 gears installed. Now my rear view camera, traction control, cruise control rev matching no longer work. I even got the wrench popping up. I was told I don’t need a new tune with this. I even flashed it back to flex tune but after driving it around the same issue popped up. Is this cause they messed up installing the gears or is it the tune? I’m pulling out my hair.
Hmm the gears are completely mechanical... if they messed up the gear install you'd hear it. Definitely worth contacting Lund.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Do you have to change the gears in the tune? The new ford performance kit 18+ we have the option to change the gears.

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Do you have to change the gears in the tune? The new ford performance kit 18+ we have the option to change the gears.
im not sure tbh. But I got my tune about 3 months ago and I still had the 3.55 installed. It looks like the only way to fix these issues is to get a new tune. At least i hope it’ll fix it, if not I’ll have them put my 3.55 back in.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am sure it can be fixed and it's not a major issue. But let us know what happens.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Is this cause they messed up installing the gears or is it the tune? I’m pulling out my hair.
So it started AFTER the gears were put in. So why do you think it's the tune again?

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
So it started AFTER the gears were put in. So why do you think it's the tune again?
I was just told by another board that it looks like the mechanic didn’t hook up a transmission wiring harness. I spoke to Lund and the tune deals only with the pcm. And the bdm is the issue, I just think they forgot to hook up a wire somewhere. I’ll find out Monday once I bring it back to the shop

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I just think they forgot to hook up a wire somewhere.
My car has a black electrical plug in the differential cover just to the left of the drain plug, maybe they just forgot to plug that back in. You could probably do it yourself in 5 minutes.

IMG_1992.JPG

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
My car has a black electrical plug in the differential cover just to the left of the drain plug, maybe they just forgot to plug that back in. You could probably do it yourself in 5 minutes.

IMG_1992.JPG

If that wasn’t plugged in would that cause the issues I was describing?

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

IMG_1992.JPG

I just looked at mine and I don’t see that wire, but I don’t have a lift so all I see is this
D8B47EC3-8055-43B3-BDF9-2766DFF71ACA.jpeg
Sponsored