Keep the GT350R or take the GT500 HP?

• Total voters

RJ787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R [LR215]
Hey all,

Been in talks with a dealer on trading my 2020 GT350R for a 2021 GT500 w/HP.

Here are the specs for both:

- 2020 GT350R
Shadow Black
Black/Red Vinyl
5,400 miles
Tech Pack
Standard Dash
Car cover
Original owner, all original items included

- 2021 GT500 w/HP
Antimatter Blue
Painted Black Stripes, Black Roof
New, 11 miles
Tech Pack
Recaros
Carbon Fiber Dash
Car Cover

Got an offer of $78k on my R, unseen and the 500 is stickered at $92.5k. It has a ~7k adm but they are willing to come down to ~5k adm at $98K. Dealer is 500 miles away but delivery of the 500 is included and taking the R as they drop off the 500, enclosed shipping at no charge. Also get a nice tax break. Been searching for a GT500 specifically in Antimatter Blue, I think its a unique color. Not crazy about the $10K POTS, especially with it having a black roof. Would prefer vinyl(cheaper) but I do prefer black stripes vs white stripes. I like the "ghost" look of the black stripes on Antimatter Blue.

Never tracked the R (shame I know), but just haven’t had the opportunity/time to do it. The R has PPF/ceramic coating but it has a few paint chips under it due to having to wait to install the PPF at 2k miles, still has original tires. I love the car but honestly it is an inconvenience for my lifestyle. I can’t take my kids in it or do anything that involves +1 person. I worry of damaging/curbing the wheels. Having to a find a dealer/shop with a machine specific for changing the tires on the carbon wheels is also not fun. Yes I could buy another set of wheels but I'd prefer to drive it how it came from the factory.

The 500 seems to better fit my needs, nice cruiser, power on demand, tires are more streetable, plus back seats so my kids can actually ride in it. Unfortunately I can only afford 1, not both. For the reasons above, the CFTP GT500 is out of the question. Told the dealer I'd let them know tomorrow (3/10) since I'm debating on the $20k delta.

What do you guys think? Fair deal? Keep the R? Sell it? Anyone here switch from a 350/R to a 500, if so, thoughts?

Update 2: Dealer offered another $2k, $80k total. Final offer.

Update 3: Keeping the R... for now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DutchPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicolas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016, Shadow 2009, DS3 2012
Not an owner of either so my opinion might not matter that much. But I feel the GT350 is the more special car and If I could afford either I'd personally go for the GT350. The Voodoo is such a unique engine and IMO far more interesting than the Predator. I THINK the GT350 will also be more desirable in the future. Combination of that high revving NA engine with a manual makes it quite special, even more so with a lot of manufacturers switching to only auto trans.

But I also believe a car is meant to be driven and enjoyed. If you feel that the 500 suits you better, go for it. It's a waste to spend so much money and not being able to fully enjoy such amazing vehicles.

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Agree with the above.

I will add that I absolutely love the GT500.

I just feel the GT350 platform is much more special.

Lightsaber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Evo X 5MT
If I were in the OP's shoes, I would modify the GT350R by installing backseats, Mach 1 (non-handling-pack) wheels, and maybe Dynamat sound isolation. This way, I turn her into a family car. The beautiful carbon fiber wheels will be put on display in the living room.

However, according to the above, OP seems to be the someone who would appreciate keeping the GT350R in the original showroom condition. If this is the case, then there could be a handful of more choices over (1) keeping the GT350R and (2) trading the car in for a GT500:

3) Buy a cheap 6G Mustang (Ecoboost, GT, or Mach 1) for family duty. Keep your kids loving the Mustang.​
4) Trade in the GT350R for a used GT350, so it's more daily drivable. However, showroom-conditioned GT350's are hard to find nowadays.​
5) Trade in the GT350R for a new Mach 1. You will lose the Voodoo, but Mach 1 is cheaper and the version without handling package is very streetable, very easy to daily drive.​

I would prefer 3. At the end of the day, like DutchPony said, the (8250 RPM) Voodoo and manual transmission makes the GT350R a really unique car. The GT350 and GT350R are arguably the most desirable 6G Mustangs.

GT500 does not have a manual transmission. Mach 1 uses Mustang GT's Coyote V8.

Last edited:

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
If I were in the OP's shoes, I would modify the GT350R by installing backseats, Mach 1 (non-perf-package) wheels, and maybe Dynamat sound isolation. This way, I turn her into a family car. The beautiful carbon fiber wheels will be put on display in the living room.

...snip
this, easily reversible (bar the sound insulation i guess) and keeps a car that OP clearly loves. I dont think you'll do wrong going either direction but good luck whichever you go.

Fastoldman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Mach 1, 13 Viper GTS, 22 Ram CC
Tough decision but I think you answered it already yourself with the list of all the things you would like to be able to do but were hampered with the GT 350R. Agree the R is super desirable and it may be worth more than the 500 in the future, but honestly the demand could be very similar for each machine. Having left the Automotive Sales Business only recently I can state that the demand for a conventional GT 500 was every bit as high as with GT350Rs initially. Both leveled off after the first year with much lower ADMs or even some selling at MSRP. The situation for you is having a fun toy that you can enjoy with the family ( likely important to them also ) and with the fact that 90% of Americans are shiftless ( pun intended ) the value of the 500 is likely not going to diminish due to the 10 speed. Heck in the future there will likely be a Form Section just listed " Manual Mustangs " and the three of us folks on there will be really good friend, ha.

My heart says GT350R, but I track my cars, whereas you cruise or just enjoy yours and want to with your family , and then I become a sentimentalist because I know of no better joy than the times my son, my wife and close relatives enjoyed our unique car times. I have friends whose sons and daughters have as much fun cruising with mom/dad, going to car shows, etc. as I have autocrossing, doing Time Trials or racing W2W.

Go with your heart, you are dealing with two vehicles which will both become classic, but one will be that ( classic ) for the adventures you will enjoy together.

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
On the street, you can’t legally or safely unleash the full potential of the R, so do you really need more horsepower? In my opinion the manual is more fun to drive, so I’d keep the R.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime GT500 CFTP
I have both and love them both for different reasons.

If I was in your position and more interested in having seats for passengers I would keep my money and keep the 350r and put the back seats in from a base 350.

SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. I definitey wouldn’t be selling it and going to a base 500 because it has a back seat.

FYI, that $20,000 delta turns into a $34,000 delta if you took the $20,000 and earned 5% on your money for the next 10 years.

just my two cents…

Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
I didn't have an R but did have a 2019 GT350. Really liked the car but felt it was underpowered, anywhere in the rpm band below 6500. Balance, looks, and exhaust note helped make up for this feeling but it still bothered me. I was driving a car which looked incredibly fast but was essentially slow by todays standards. Considered modifying to fix the under-powered issue but with the number engine failures I was afraid to do so. Enter the 2020 GT500 which in my opinion is a drastic improvement over my 350.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
They are two different vehicles. It comes down to which you like best. There is no way anyone can solve this for you. You have to do some soul searching.

I agree that the R is worth more money than what is on the table.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I owned an R and ordering the 500. It's gonna come down to personal preference and what you want from the car. I didn't feel like taking the risk of tracking my R. So I sold it and think the 500 will be better suited to playing around and cruising back roads. With enough power to have fun when I want to.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I had this issue just last month. I had a 2017 GT350 with a gen2 motor. It had 8200 miles. I had on the table the same car you are looking at, Carbonized Grey and 10 miles. I had the options of doing a power adder with Fathouse, or buying a GT500.

In the end, I bought the GT500. I received good money for my GT350 and I thought I would miss the shifter, but after having my GT500, I do not. The power........bloody O the power. Its kre kre just how powerful this car is in stock form. But wait ! Even my wife enjoys being in the GT500 because it is so smooth and docile when you drive it on the street. I have heated and cool seats, and she loves them. (She hated the Recaro's in the GT350 btw)

In the end you have to decide what it is you want. If yourr not tracking the R, then its just a GT350. No back seats mean nobody but a passenger. Though the R is very nice, I myself would want a car I can enjoy in any situation. Track, Drag, or Street.

Voodoo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2019 GT350 & 2023 Ford Raptor
IMHO the fact you mentioned kids would make me either go with the 500 or simply get back seats for the R (to me the comment related to family was your most important statement and what life should be about).

I think the R is the more "special" car, but it isn't the cruiser the 500 would be. Would it be possible to swing both? I partially kept my 350 so if I needed a back seat, I would have that option. Good luck and like others have said it will come down to you :)
Sponsored