Sponsored

Thought my motor was in trouble...

Cammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2001 F-150 Lightning
Late last week my car developed a really loud metallic rattle at 1800 RPMs. Above or below that and the rattle went away.

I had the hood open and had an assistant rev the motor to that RPM and it sounded like it was coming from the head or block (driver's side) which of course had me worried. It didn't add up to an imminent engine failure since I had good oil pressure and the rattle was so RPM-specific.

In any case, I finally got the car up on the QuickJack and set to work locating the source providing it wasn't an internal engine problem.

Long story short, the driver's side exhaust damper (the big orange rubber one) was completely loose as its nut had backed off a good 1/2" (the stud the nut threads onto is about 1" long). Apparently 1800 RPMs creates a resonance that causes maximum vibration in that part of the exhaust.

It seems to me that this is inevitable since the damper is secured by that nut and blue loctite - no lock washer or jam nut. I checked the passenger's side and it wasn't loose, but was way too easy to turn with a ratchet. I applied fresh blue loctite (don't know how effective this will be since it's going to get hot there) and tightened both nuts pretty hard. I'm going to get some jam nuts so that the next time I'm under there, I install them as I can see this happening again and again.

Anyway, just a heads up for you guys. If you're under your car, you should check your dampers!

Brian
Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I lost a 1/2 of one of those dampers. Their are two weights molded into that rubber thing, one of mine fell off. I think it took a hit from some road derbies a while back. Interesting that no aftermarket exhaust I have seen incorporates those dampers.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Had the same thing happen to me. It is a bit unnerving to hear that sound. I thought it was a bad cat at first.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Late last week my car developed a really loud metallic rattle at 1800 RPMs. Above or below that and the rattle went away.

I had the hood open and had an assistant rev the motor to that RPM and it sounded like it was coming from the head or block (driver's side) which of course had me worried. It didn't add up to an imminent engine failure since I had good oil pressure and the rattle was so RPM-specific.

In any case, I finally got the car up on the QuickJack and set to work locating the source providing it wasn't an internal engine problem.

Long story short, the driver's side exhaust damper (the big orange rubber one) was completely loose as its nut had backed off a good 1/2" (the stud the nut threads onto is about 1" long). Apparently 1800 RPMs creates a resonance that causes maximum vibration in that part of the exhaust.

It seems to me that this is inevitable since the damper is secured by that nut and blue loctite - no lock washer or jam nut. I checked the passenger's side and it wasn't loose, but was way too easy to turn with a ratchet. I applied fresh blue loctite (don't know how effective this will be since it's going to get hot there) and tightened both nuts pretty hard. I'm going to get some jam nuts so that the next time I'm under there, I install them as I can see this happening again and again.

Anyway, just a heads up for you guys. If you're under your car, you should check your dampers!

Brian
Good find! Did you take any pictures? This would be great for documentation!

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Sorry for the necro-bump, but I wanted to say thanks for posting this thread. I just started having this same rattle recently, and sure enough it was a loose exhaust damper on the driver's side. Gotta love an easy fix.

Cheers! :beer:

Sponsored

Saltiez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sorry for the necro-bump, but I wanted to say thanks for posting this thread. I just started having this same rattle recently, and sure enough it was a loose exhaust damper on the driver's side. Gotta love an easy fix.

Cheers! :beer:
Hey THX, was the sound similar to this video I posted? I would check but the dealer still has my car with no fix and i'm starting to wonder if this is it because it rattles at exactly 1500-2100 RPMs and then just stops.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/strange-engine-bay-rattle.141336/

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Same thing happened to me after my track day on Monday. Haven't had a chance to fix it yet but you can clearly see it rattling like crazy at around the same RPM. Scared the shit out of me too until I went under and had a friend rev it for me.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I created a thread awhile back which I hoped folks would respond and report stuff they've had to do.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/who-has-maintenance-discussion.139362/

This is a FPC at 5.2 Displacement and stuff will get loose. Shoot, C8.R discovered it was destroying their race car welds so they came up with another solution similar to what Ford did to dampen the vibration. Can we get the above thread with some stuff that you all have done? Pictures are also worth a million words.

OP, are you saying this was loose?
info.png
Sponsored