Sponsored

Those with catted LTH's and State emissions requirements - 4 questions

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So for those of you who have installed catted LTH's - (4) questions:

1) If emissions testing is a requirement in your home State, are you able to pass?

2) What State and what is the inspection interval?

3) Are catted LTH's serviceable if say years later a cat fails?

4) What brand LTH did you go with?
Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I had that set up on my 03 M1
1- my county yes, yes
2- NC, annually
3- yes, cut them out, buy replacements, and weld them in (did that)
4- BBK ceramic coated 1-7/8

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
So for those of you who have installed catted LTH's - (4) questions:

1) If emissions testing is a requirement in your home State, are you able to pass?

2) What State and what is the inspection interval?

3) Are catted LTH's serviceable if say years later a cat fails?

4) What brand LTH did you go with?
I was wondering that myself. I would like to add one other question.

What brand and size (if diameter is an issue) of aftermarket cats will actually pass emission tests? Regardless of header brand.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I was wondering that myself. I would like to add one other question.

What brand, type and size of aftermarket cat actually passes emission tests?
I had the Flowmaster high flow and it passed.

Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Can't beat their prices.
You are right, they were cheap and fit the bill for what I needed to keep NC off me every year for inspections.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
other than possibly kooks green cats, do any of the cats that come with stainless works or arh have a chance at keeping the cel from lighting up?

Xavier208

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 400a
other than possibly kooks green cats, do any of the cats that come with stainless works or arh have a chance at keeping the cel from lighting up?
Tuner should be able to turn it off

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
That will be a no go for emissions. Modern OBD emissions testing equipment software can detect it even if you can find a tuner to do it.
yeah i'm not going to put a tuner in that position. they'll likely tell you to find someone else at this point.
i'm not worried at all about emissions testing i just don't want a cel turning on. way back in the day i used "mil eliminators" on a new edge mustang but they weren't all that reliable. it would still occasionally trip the light. i wonder if the equivalent now is the o2 spacers i've seen mentioned? not sure if those are a good way to prevent the light or if they will prevent the same problem

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Are the cats in any of the LTH’s the hi-flow metallic spun, or the standard ceramic-like/honeycomb?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Are the cats in any of the LTH’s the hi-flow metallic spun, or the standard ceramic-like/honeycomb?
Honeycomb. They suck. I had ARH catted lead pipes and catless lead pipes. All of the big name headers can interchange between both.

I could not pass the readiness test on my 17 GT and I had a 2018 manifold locked out which meant no going back to a stock tune. The only way I passed was with the rear O2's turned off and no tuner does that anymore. What really sucked was that was a JLT intake tune that had them off but no other tune did so I had to intake swap to pass emissions. I tried everything under the sun to ready the O2's and they never did after several thousand miles and WOT pulls to "heat up the sensors"

Moral of the story, 2018+ emissions is easy with headers as long as you can get back to a stock tune. Run spacers to prevent the CEL. The second you can't go back to stock is when emissions headaches begin.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Honeycomb. They suck. I had ARH catted lead pipes and catless lead pipes. All of the big name headers can interchange between both.

I could not pass the readiness test on my 17 GT and I had a 2018 manifold locked out which meant no going back to a stock tune. The only way I passed was with the rear O2's turned off and no tuner does that anymore. What really sucked was that was a JLT intake tune that had them off but no other tune did so I had to intake swap to pass emissions. I tried everything under the sun to ready the O2's and they never did after several thousand miles and WOT pulls to "heat up the sensors"

Moral of the story, 2018+ emissions is easy with headers as long as you can get back to a stock tune. Run spacers to prevent the CEL. The second you can't go back to stock is when emissions headaches begin.
Factory cats are of the honeycomb construction. 99% of aftermarket cats are metal spun. Honeycomb OEM cats are generally more robust and last far longer.
Sponsored