Those with Borla carbon fiber tips...

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
Currently running Borla Ataks with carbon fiber tips. I have noticed some wear between the tips on both mufflers. It’s weird because the tips are not touching and physically can’t because of the gap between them. I also noticed some whitening/fading of the clear coat and some of the hardware that holds the carbon fiber tubes onto the metal tips are wearing out. Some of the screws are missing and the rubber washers are decaying. Anyone else have similar issues and what did you do?
Sponsored

OP
OP

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
Here are some pics....

Had to tape off one of the screws so I could go at it a little harder with the tiny allen head to get it off. Had one that I had to dremel a slot into for a flat head as well. You can see how part of the finish is whitening.
borla 1.jpg

Here you can see where it looks like they were rubbing which ate through the clear.
borla 2.jpg

Wet sanded with 600 grit then 1,000. Used some old polish real quick by hand.. Also got new hardware with lock washers to hopefully prevent any from seizing up again. I wanted to make it easy to get them back off when I get time to fix them properly.
borla 3.jpg

borla 4.jpg

At least on the car you only see the ends. Can't really see the damage and they look plenty good for daily driving. I also had to use high temp silicone for metal on and around the rivets (as seen in last pic) because they were loose and causing a horrible rattle after I re-installed. Just gooped it on really good around rivets and up around where it's metal-to-metal. I did it last night and this morning the rattle was gone.

StealthFighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BOB
Vehicle(s)
-2019 GT premium a10 -pp1 -Shadow Black loaded
How long have they been installed? And have you had any contact with Borla?
If I were you I would email them with the pics and get their feed back on this.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Probably heat transfer. These cars get hot everywhere.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I've had my borla with the CF tips for about 1k miles and can't say i have this issue. I thought they were grinding down but it was just rock debris that built up in the gap. My guess is that, as all things, none are equal and yours are just a hair closee to each other than mine. Definitely contact borla. You didn't drop $2k for this sort of thing

Sponsored

OP
OP

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
Sorry guys been super busy but I do have an update.

The metal silicone worked on one of the mufflers but I must have missed some on the other side because it still rattles. You can feel some movement in the tips when you apply a little pressure so no surprise.

I did contact Borla and sent them the pics. They responded within a few hours with an apology and offer for replacement mufflers. Top notch customer service. I'm in the process of sending them a copy of the invoice and they'll send them out.

Ian@Borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borla
Hello. I'm very sorry to see that! Please give us a call at 1-877-462-6752 (Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:00pm PST) or you can email our Customer Service Manager at [email protected]. We stand behind our products with our warranty so if anyone experiences any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Thank you!

OP
OP

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
Hello. I'm very sorry to see that! Please give us a call at 1-877-462-6752 (Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:00pm PST) or you can email our Customer Service Manager at [email protected]. We stand behind our products with our warranty so if anyone experiences any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Thank you!
Hey Ian, Chris has already taken care of me. I appreciate you reaching out though. Borla customer service is seriously awesome.

Ian@Borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borla
Hey Ian, Chris has already taken care of me. I appreciate you reaching out though. Borla customer service is seriously awesome.
Awesome! I'm glad to hear you've already been in contact with Chris. Again, we apologize for the trouble. Thank you!

OP
OP

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
UPDATE:

Got home from work to find a big Borla box on the porch! I was told 10-14 days for it to ship. I had no idea it would show up so fast. There’s also an x-pipe in there. The packing slip just shows the mufflers. I’ll get with Chris and see what’s up. Hoping to put them on next weekend and I’ll post some pics. They look great with the trufiber spoiler.

Anyway, huge thanks to Chris and @Ian@Borla for the great customer service.

Edit: Having a problem posting pics from my phone, will post them later.

Sponsored
OP
OP

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
07981064-968E-44C5-93DC-95EC4A81B85F.jpeg

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Great to see they stand behind their warranty.

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
I have the carbon tips and they are very nice. I did hear the screws can come out, and I checked mine and they were loose. I emailed Borla, sent them pics, and they are sending me out replacement screws and washers to AUS. No questions.
I’d suggest call them first If you have an issue.
I will try the higher strength loctite on then when I put them in this time.
I love the look, sound, quality, and performance and would recommend the same system.
(No affiliation)

D6EB8B87-DF71-48EF-9F7B-3E0940F5DA25.jpeg

luc13fr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zeke
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I want to buy a set of tips, and if he still has them, I want them. Lol
Sponsored