This Why I Really Don't Like Dealers

jcttraveler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible 2019
I took my car in for some recall work (related to the powertrain control module. NHTSA recall 22V382).

After some time, the service rep found me to say the tech had "suggested" some additional service. The first item was a cabin air filter (check out the price!). I told the guy (truthfully) I had just changed that (had the tech opened the glove box he would have seen the message I left for myself to remind me of when I last changed it). That seemed to take the wind out of the sails of the service rep because when he then recommended a brake fluid flush, he quickly accepted my "no thanks." Not long after my encounter with the service rep, the car was pulled around. I got my invoice (free) and I drove off.

Later in the day, I had some time to review the invoice (attached). In addition to the filter and flush, the tech had also identified several other high-margin services. The shotgun nature of the recommendations (which have no empirical basis to support the recommendation) really ticks me off. I may flush the brake fluid at some point, but will do it as part of a larger brake job. The car's running great, getting good gas mileage so the "BG induction" and injector service doesn't make sense to me. Alignment/tire balance? Take a look at the tires. They are 9 months old and wearing evenly. and what exactly is a "mist service"? (looks to be a way to control odors coming from the HVAC.)

I'm fairly handy. "Back in the day" when I had more time than money (and when cars were simpler), I did much of my own work. Now, I don't flinch at paying to have my oil changed. I consider myself a believer in preventative maintenance, but get pissed off when I think I'm being taken advantage of. Hopefully, I still know enough to tell the difference, but I know others don't know the difference and are paying for stuff they don't need (or never would need in some cases).

dealer invoice.jpg
Sponsored

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
They always try to upsale. Part of their job description I believe.šŸ˜‰. The real problem is that many of them are not totally honest. Go figure, a dealership employee not being totally upfront! I just hold my hand up when they come in the waiting room and say they have a few items we should address. I tell them if it isnā€™t under warranty or free, I donā€™t want it. I only use dealers for free items,which there are few and warranty items. Other than that I have my own mechanic that takes care of everything.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
normal and to be expected. I feel sorry for the non car person who is not handy. They ll get them good. But to be balanced, those prices aren t bad. If you ever owned a Porsche those prices are a bargain .
Lol, the air filter is a total joke at that price, but some people just don t know.

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
I understand the "Up Sale", because it is required for the salesman to ask. However, no means no. Now for the positive side of the Up Sale, my wife's Jeep will be needing tires soon. The service lady informed us that their dealership is having a sale on tires this fall. She gave us a price quote and we checked it against other places and Ebay... They will be putting tires on this fall.

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
I took my car in for some recall work (related to the powertrain control module. NHTSA recall 22V382).

After some time, the service rep found me to say the tech had "suggested" some additional service. The first item was a cabin air filter (check out the price!). I told the guy (truthfully) I had just changed that (had the tech opened the glove box he would have seen the message I left for myself to remind me of when I last changed it). That seemed to take the wind out of the sails of the service rep because when he then recommended a brake fluid flush, he quickly accepted my "no thanks." Not long after my encounter with the service rep, the car was pulled around. I got my invoice (free) and I drove off.

Later in the day, I had some time to review the invoice (attached). In addition to the filter and flush, the tech had also identified several other high-margin services. The shotgun nature of the recommendations (which have no empirical basis to support the recommendation) really ticks me off. I may flush the brake fluid at some point, but will do it as part of a larger brake job. The car's running great, getting good gas mileage so the "BG induction" and injector service doesn't make sense to me. Alignment/tire balance? Take a look at the tires. They are 9 months old and wearing evenly. and what exactly is a "mist service"? (looks to be a way to control odors coming from the HVAC.)

I'm fairly handy. "Back in the day" when I had more time than money (and when cars were simpler), I did much of my own work. Now, I don't flinch at paying to have my oil changed. I consider myself a believer in preventative maintenance, but get pissed off when I think I'm being taken advantage of. Hopefully, I still know enough to tell the difference, but I know others don't know the difference and are paying for stuff they don't need (or never would need in some cases).

dealer invoice.jpg
They did their job by trying to upsell you.
You did your job saying no.
This is a big-to-do about nothing other than did you just want to bitch about something?

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext

dealer invoice.jpg

dealer invoice.jpg
Gee my guy is great.no upscale at all.had oil changed and they didn't even ask about Air filter imin Atlanta jim ellis ford in Roswell.theybe serviced my 2 shelbys and my current 2019 gt.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
They did their job by trying to upsell you.
You did your job saying no.
This is a big-to-do about nothing other than did you just want to bitch about something?
Just because someone claims it s their job don t make it right.
I just stay away from people like that. (where I can).

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Who cares, some people get upset at 3k oil change intervals oh but so and so says 15k miles. Wait to align your car after your tires are chopped up. Go any where they try and upsell. Be an informed customer and stop bitching.

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
You must not realize who signs these peopleā€™s paychecks and you are allowed to stay away.

Sponsored

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
Gee my guy is great.no upscale at all.had oil changed and they didn't even ask about Air filter imin Atlanta jim ellis ford in Roswell.theybe serviced my 2 shelbys and my current 2019 gt.
I need to try them out. I'm East Cobb, so Sandy Springs is just about as convenient as Alpharetta for me.

The "up-sell" thing is always a bit of a dance for me. I've had them suggest things and I always ask: "what data are you basing the need for this on? " . If they can rattle off an answer confidently, then I usually say "Do it". I think having a non-hostile relationship with a dealer is advantageous, so I feel like as long as I establish that I'm not a complete chump, a couple hundred bucks here or there isn't going to kill me.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Considering the cost of the cabin air filter, their markup, and 20 minutes at $200/hour it is not far off. That and the other "services" are still overpriced but typical for a dealer.

As the switch to electric cars happens they will find it more difficult to make $$ this way unless they start doing capacitor flushing and motor degaussing. ;)

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
They are over selling instead of upselling.

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
As a former Ford tech, here's my input. It looks like you asked for a 99P checkout, even if you didn't, I have a responsibility to check your vehicle over to see if something needs attention. The time I don't and you have a problem the next day, guess who will get blamed for not telling you? Yep, that would be me, I'm bad if I tell you do perform some maintenance or repair, I'm bad if I don't. Am I going to pull your cabin air filter? No, I'm going to recommend that based on the manufacturers time line. The cost? Parts are what they are and I have to make reasonable labor. I got .3 hours to do an oil change, about 15 minutes. That .3 is multiplied by whatever my shop charges. How much money do you think I make getting your repair order, going out to find your car, bringing it in, draining the oil and filter, going to the parts counter, filling your oil, putting it outside and wiping it down? I'm not making any money doing that, so if I want .5 hours to change your cabin air filter, which you could do yourself, then I'm pretty comfortable charging you that.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I need to try them out. I'm East Cobb, so Sandy Springs is just about as convenient as Alpharetta for me.

The "up-sell" thing is always a bit of a dance for me. I've had them suggest things and I always ask: "what data are you basing the need for this on? " . If they can rattle off an answer confidently, then I usually say "Do it". I think having a non-hostile relationship with a dealer is advantageous, so I feel like as long as I establish that I'm not a complete chump, a couple hundred bucks here or there isn't going to kill me.
Ask for David in service
Sponsored