Sponsored

This is the worst OEM audio system I ever owned?

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Many higher end amps accept line level inputs now so you don’t really need RCAs
Sponsored

steathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 California Special
Change EQ with Forscan, replace rear speakers, subwoofer in the spare tire area. $300.00 total investment for a decent improvement, best bang for the buck.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The irony of this is that the base 6 speaker system actually sounds pretty good. It doesn't have much bass, but as long as you listen at mid volume or lower, it's better than passable. I want to upgrade the speakers and remove the EQ setting and see how it is after that.

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
18 Dodge Charger scat pack
Change EQ with Forscan, replace rear speakers, subwoofer in the spare tire area. $300.00 total investment for a decent improvement, best bang for the buck.
Exactly what I wanna do. Just don’t know anything about forscan

Sponsored

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium

billzkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I was going to joke with the OP and say that he has never owned a Subaru if he thinks the Mustang system is the worst he has ever heard, lol.

I'm about to obtain some Stereo Integrity TM-65 MK2s and thinking about a set of SB Acoustics SB Acoustics SB26STCN-C000-4 tweeters to go into some customized pillars. I'll order everything AFTER the holiday rush. I already have a 10" Alpine Type R sub and an enclosure for it.

OP
OP

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
I was going to joke with the OP and say that he has never owned a Subaru if he thinks the Mustang system is the worst he has ever heard, lol.

I'm about to obtain some Stereo Integrity TM-65 MK2s and thinking about a set of SB Acoustics SB Acoustics SB26STCN-C000-4 tweeters to go into some customized pillars. I'll order everything AFTER the holiday rush. I already have a 10" Alpine Type R sub and an enclosure for it.
Its funny you should mention that. I was thinking that I never owned a Subie, but I forgot that I had a 1988 BRAT for about a month. I grenaded it, but I think it still had a better system than my mustang. lol

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Clearly the OP never owned cars built in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, or 90’s. Those audio systems were crap. Also there is not a system made that can be turned all the way up to 11 and sound good. After you get the volume up to about half, all you are doing is increasing the distortion you hear.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Clearly the OP never owned cars built in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, or 90’s. Those audio systems were crap. Also there is not a system made that can be turned all the way up to 11 and sound good. After you get the volume up to about half, all you are doing is increasing the distortion you hear.
What does the 60s-90s have to do with this? Is his argument invalid because he didn’t drive a car from 1961? Your reply seems more self-serving than helpful.

billzkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Its funny you should mention that. I was thinking that I never owned a Subie, but I forgot that I had a 1988 BRAT for about a month. I grenaded it, but I think it still had a better system than my mustang. lol
I owned a 2012 WRX and a 2019 WRX. I replaced the base system in the 2012 with some JL Audio C5-650 components in the doors and used a single Digital Designs 1508 in the trunk. That was a VAST improvement over stock.

The 2012 came with the Harmon Kardon system, so I just added a pair of Digital Designs 1508 and replaced the stock radio with a Kenwood DDX-9907XR. After crossing over and re-equalizing the stock speakers, they sounded much better with dedicated subwoofers to handle the low end.

Oddly, the best sounding factory sound systems I had were in a 1997 Civic EX coupe and a 2013 VW GTI. I kept that Civic until 2010 and ended up having to replace the stock speakers because they dry rotted. A set of Alpine Type R components worked great in that little car. Hell, I even used a Digital Designs 1010 subwoofer in the Civic, lol.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Thinking out loud, but is some of the issue, the noise canceltion fighting with the music output.
The other issue, I think is the system expecting to use an amp that is tiny.
I don't know how they got the claimed wattage rating out of it, but my 1992 Kenwood head unit with all of 40 watts per channel(40x 4) is louder than this b/o set up.

billzkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thinking out loud, but is some of the issue, the noise canceltion fighting with the music output.
The other issue, I think is the system expecting to use an amp that is tiny.
I don't know how they got the claimed wattage rating out of it, but my 1992 Kenwood head unit with all of 40 watts per channel(40x 4) is louder than this b/o set up.
Don't be fooled. There are some tiny amps that can put out insane amounts of power. While I doubt OEM automakers are using them, I have seen micro amplifiers for motorcycles that easily sustain 120 watts RMS per channel.

Then there are the GaN FET amplifiers that pack some power for their size. Unfortunately, they cost a small fortune too.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Don't be fooled. There are some tiny amps that can put out insane amounts of power. While I doubt OEM automakers are using them, I have seen micro amplifiers for motorcycles that easily sustain 120 watts RMS per channel.

Then there are the GaN FET amplifiers that pack some power for their size. Unfortunately, they cost a small fortune too.
Hell I’m only pushing 75w RMS per channel for my mids and highs in my build and it’s crazy loud.
Sponsored