Sponsored

This is the worst OEM audio system I ever owned?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
These discussions always devolve into the battered wife syndrome.

Someone says "The OE system sucks" (which it does) and then the battered wives chime in "yeah but muh V8 sound is all that matters."

This is like saying "I don't like it when he beats me after coming home drunk" and the other battered wife says "yeah, but he pays for your room and board and that's most important so stop bitching."

The point is, Ford should just save even more money and not put a system in at all and just leave it open source for someone to put a system of their choice.

The OE system doesn't have to win stereo competitions. Even a simple 6 speaker system can sound "good" (for what it is) with halfway decent speakers and signal.

In the past 3 decades I've owned several Fords, couple Toyotas and a Nissan. The Toyota and Nissan stereo system was LIGHT YEARS better than the trash Ford installs.

It'd be better if Ford just said "Hey, we can provide you with the shittiest speakers known to human kind, or we'll just give you $35 rebate and you can put that toward a decent set of your choosing."

Even the powerbase speaker upgrade is a marked improvement over the OE trash.
Sponsored

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver

Someone says "The OE system sucks" (which it does) and then the battered wives chime in "yeah but muh V8 sound is all that matters."

This is like saying "I don't like it when he beats me after coming home drunk" and the other battered wife says "yeah, but he pays for your room and board and that's most important so stop bitching."

The point is, Ford should just save even more money and not put a system in at all and just leave it open source for someone to put a system of their choice.

The OE system doesn't have to win stereo competitions. Even a simple 6 speaker system can sound "good" (for what it is) with halfway decent speakers and signal.

In the past 3 decades I've owned several Fords, couple Toyotas and a Nissan. The Toyota and Nissan stereo system was LIGHT YEARS better than the trash Ford installs.

It'd be better if Ford just said "Hey, we can provide you with the shittiest speakers known to human kind, or we'll just give you $35 rebate and you can put that toward a decent set of your choosing."

Oh totally agree with you....as mentioned, I'm not saying having a V8 solves world hunger. I'm just saying, the OE system leaves a lot to be desired (thus agreeing with the OP), but it no longer bothers me as I've accepted it and decided to leave it as is.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I agree with Angrey here that if Ford charges (they do) for "upgraded" 9 speaker B&O it should be decent system, instead it's pathetically weak and a waste of a sub. My 2006 Titan had a upgraded Rockford Fosgate system located under the drivers seat, we called it the Butt Thumper pretty soon after trying it out. 16 years later it out classes the Mustang B&O by far, why's that?

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I also have the 301A on my '21 GT as well as the PP on my '17 Eco before....it bothered me a lot when I had the Eco, but with the GT it doesn't bud me anymore. And I'm not saying this to be douchy, but the V8 sound makes up for it, and I find myself listening to that more than music
Lol, well I'm not upgrading the car just to get better sound (from the engine)! Quite honestly, I'm more concerned with vehicle performance than sound. It's just that it would be nice if it sounded better, and it's a little baffling to me that it doesn't, considering my other Ford stereos sound noticeably better.

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I agree with Angrey here that if Ford charges (they do) for "upgraded" 9 speaker B&O it should be decent system, instead it's pathetically weak and a waste of a sub. My 2006 Titan had a upgraded Rockford Fosgate system located under the drivers seat, we called it the Butt Thumper pretty soon after trying it out. 16 years later it out classes the Mustang B&O by far, why's that?
We may be confusing different systems here. The 9-speaker in my "Premium" is not B&O. It's the mid-level option between base and the highest available option. I think B&O systems replaced the previous Shaker systems as Ford's top-of-the-line sound option. Am I right about that?

Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I actually really enjoy my B&O Stereo in my 21 GT Premium. My only complaint is the damn rattle/reverb in the passenger side door ANY time I play anything that is bass-oriented. It drives me NUTS.

This is the first car I've owned where the FACTORY system rattles LOL

Kachøw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Honestly for the money, just add a subwoofer (or if you have the B&O, just swap it for a better one) and then upgrade the speakers with ones you can just plug-and-play if the sound still isn't good enough for you. (I think you will notice a big difference with just a subwoofer and tweaking the EQ)

Yeah the 9-speaker system is just "ok" at best, but you're going to be several thousand dollars in the hole to upgrade this system to be something that sounds decent to audiophiles. It's more worthwhile to just do a few simple upgrades like forscan, subwoofer, and call it a day imo. But if money isn't an issue to you, then go all out — you only live once, after all.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Between my tinnitus and the Borla S-types I think the Shaker in my car is the best OEM system I have ever owned. Love using Sirius and Waze through CarPlay. It's a game changer.

OP
OP

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
Honestly for the money, just add a subwoofer (or if you have the B&O, just swap it for a better one) and then upgrade the speakers with ones you can just plug-and-play if the sound still isn't good enough for you. (I think you will notice a big difference with just a subwoofer and tweaking the EQ)

Yeah the 9-speaker system is just "ok" at best, but you're going to be several thousand dollars in the hole to upgrade this system to be something that sounds decent to audiophiles. It's more worthwhile to just do a few simple upgrades like forscan, subwoofer, and call it a day imo. But if money isn't an issue to you, then go all out — you only live once, after all.
The bulk of any money I spend on this car will be performance or cosmetic oriented. I may just change out the speakers and do the forscan mod and call it a day.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, well I'm not upgrading the car just to get better sound (from the engine)! Quite honestly, I'm more concerned with vehicle performance than sound. It's just that it would be nice if it sounded better, and it's a little baffling to me that it doesn't, considering my other Ford stereos sound noticeably better.
Mos def....nor is that my recommendation to buy a GT just for the sound...

yeah trust me....this is my 3rd Mustang and there's so many things about Ford that baffles me....I live in Toronto, and yet the "base" models doesn't come with heated seats unless you opt for premium models. This is ludacris as my friend's wife's Kia Rio comes standard with heated seats =(

I get it though....people who stores their Mustangs religiously when it's raining/snowing will say that Mustangs should never be driven in the winter, but I disagree so to each their own

Sponsored

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually really enjoy my B&O Stereo in my 21 GT Premium. My only complaint is the damn rattle/reverb in the passenger side door ANY time I play anything that is bass-oriented. It drives me NUTS.

This is the first car I've owned where the FACTORY system rattles LOL
Dynamat is your friend

Reactions: MCS

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

As I stated, I would have ticked the sound system delete box if it would have been an option...

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Mos def....nor is that my recommendation to buy a GT just for the sound...

yeah trust me....this is my 3rd Mustang and there's so many things about Ford that baffles me....I live in Toronto, and yet the "base" models doesn't come with heated seats unless you opt for premium models. This is ludacris as my friend's wife's Kia Rio comes standard with heated seats =(

I get it though....people who stores their Mustangs religiously when it's raining/snowing will say that Mustangs should never be driven in the winter, but I disagree so to each their own
I've always wanted to drive mine in the winter. Doing donuts is so much easier and fun. But then I think about the inevitable salt-rot and I just can't bring myself to do it. Plus I get a break on insurance for 6 months.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
But then I think about the inevitable salt-rot
I just get the local unlimited car wash plan that has undercarriage wash and run through as often as I need in the winter.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just get the local unlimited car wash plan that has undercarriage wash and run through as often as I need in the winter.
Same....I share a Shell car wash pass with friends in Winter months
Sponsored