Sponsored

This is the worst OEM audio system I ever owned?

Evenmetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I thought that my 9 speaker, 301A equipped 2019 GT PP2 would have a little better sound coming out of it. My wife's Sedona sounds 110% better than this. Sirius and FM sound horrible. Streaming from my phone sounds a tad better. Of all the vehicles I've owned, I've never been able to max out the volume without the sound distorting. In this car, I can crank the volume all the way up and it just sounds like something is holding it back. Almost like its by design. I know Ford has never been known for their sound systems, but this is pitiful. Is there an electronic limiter on this? Being that the head unit is more of an infotainment center, I don't think changing it out is an option. What is it that's holding it back?
The Mach 460 in my old 99 GT is better than the shaker system in my GT350 LOL. But don't really care because the noise of the exhaust is amazing.
Sponsored

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
Your 9 speaker package is marketing bullshit. I can't directly answer about the head unit, but the speakers, regardless of how many are in the cabin are absolute trash.
This is typical of factory systems. The speakers are the weak point and where you get the best bang for your buck upgrading. The head units are often very decent but for some reason no money gets spent on speakers. You don't have to replace all nine speakers. The two in the doors are a good start, and two more in the package shelf would be my next call. Good tweeters wouldn't hurt. Then spend some quality time with the equalizer, working to get the balance between the speakers and tones optimal.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Come on folks! Radio criticism really? That's why you bought this car?

And yet you are here!!! I would never invest in a aftermarket stereo for this car, but if I can make the OEM unit sound better for little to no money...why not?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
What does the Forscan do? I have the shitty 9 speaker system to. I did up grade the four door speakers, and will order a custom trunk box this week and a amp and see how that sounds.

To be honest upgrading the speakers before the Forscan changes is like the cart before the horse. The As Built code for the Forscan cuts off the low frequencies under 100hz. You can change the speakers until the cows come home but the signal they are getting has a bass roll off at around 100hz. The Forscan change removes this roll off.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
To be honest upgrading the speakers before the Forscan changes is like the cart before the horse. The As Built code for the Forscan cuts off the low frequencies under 100hz. You can change the speakers until the cows come home but the signal they are getting has a bass roll off at around 100hz. The Forscan change removes this roll off.
Which forscan did you get?

Sponsored

OP
OP

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
Which forscan did you get?
Itā€™s not the Forscan you pick from. Itā€™s just the proprietary software that talks with your computer. Itā€™s the hardware interface that you can choose. Scroll up and see the one that I got. Itā€™s rock solid so far.

Last edited:

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Ok. After doing some research, I pulled the trigger and bought a Forscan module. Not all are created equal. I got the Vgate vLinker FS. Its an auto switching unit that seems very stable and has support. I disabled the EQ and that bone rattling double honk when you get out of the car with the key, while its running. This worked like a charm. I consider myself computer literate, but I did get confused with some of the parameters. There are so many mods you can do with this unit and the Forscan software. There are spreadsheets available that give you the mod with the mapping. Most were from the F-150 forums, but its been said that most of the mods are universal to the mustang.
I have to say that doing the EQ disable took the choker off this system. FM and Sirius much better. Streaming Amazon music, in HD, from my phone is fantastic. The system can definitely use a little low end help, but for now, I think I may just do the door and back deck speakers and see where that leads. I give this mod a big two thumbs up.
Can you tell me exactly what you changed with Forscan? As I mentioned in my earlier reply in this thread I've made this change twice and neither time could I tell any difference. Maybe I haven't changed the correct line, so I'd be willing to try it a third time if it really makes a difference. Thanks.

Buckeye63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium w6sp
I thought that my 9 speaker, 301A equipped 2019 GT PP2 would have a little better sound coming out of it. My wife's Sedona sounds 110% better than this. Sirius and FM sound horrible. Streaming from my phone sounds a tad better. Of all the vehicles I've owned, I've never been able to max out the volume without the sound distorting. In this car, I can crank the volume all the way up and it just sounds like something is holding it back. Almost like its by design. I know Ford has never been known for their sound systems, but this is pitiful. Is there an electronic limiter on this? Being that the head unit is more of an infotainment center, I don't think changing it out is an option. What is it that's holding it back?
Why donā€™t you take a look at this- dynavinnorthamerica.com I have it in my ā€˜15 Premium, but it does have the 12speaker w/sub system. Nav, CarPlay A/A, a sound processor and equalizer that makes the factory speakers speakers sound so much better, an amp that cranks and a 10.5 in display that looks factory. Itā€™s 699.00 and worth more than that.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
You GT guys get all the goodies.... digital dash, rev matching, etc, I could go on and on.
Ford gave us GT350 guys the bare minimum.
I decided to remove my OEM Shelby radio:

AM radio.png

I don't have an immediate need to upgrade, since I only listen to the Ford Philharmonic 32-Valve VooDoo orchestra.

If I do upgrade, I am seriously contemplating this:

8-track-car-stereo.jpg

OP
OP

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Why donā€™t you take a look at this- dynavinnorthamerica.com I have it in my ā€˜15 Premium, but it does have the 12speaker w/sub system. Nav, CarPlay A/A, a sound processor and equalizer that makes the factory speakers speakers sound so much better, an amp that cranks and a 10.5 in display that looks factory. Itā€™s 699.00 and worth more than that.
I had this in my 2014 GT base. For $700, it was well worth it. I highly recommend it.
I think Iā€™m just going to keep the oem unit and just upgrade the speakers.

Sponsored

dogteam7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Anniversary LE
I had a 2011 GT with the Shaker 1000 system it sounded 1000% better than the system in my 15 GT. Very sad! The 2011 had the two 10in subs in the trunk.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s not the Forscan you pick from. Itā€™s just the proprietary software that talks with your computer. Itā€™s the hardware interface that you can choose. Scroll up and see the one that I got. Itā€™s rock solid so far.
So is this the one you bought?
Screenshot_20220613-203657.png

OP
OP

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
So is this the one you bought?
Screenshot_20220613-203657.png
Thatā€™s it. Iā€™m kinda pressed for time right now, but Iā€™m going to try to write up a procedure through my experience with this. There are tons ā€œjust do this/just do thatā€ posts but not many with a comprehensive walk through. Iā€™ll try to do that. I did hours of research and compiled instructions through multiple sources. I hope to put all of this together.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Nothing wrong with pointing out what might be flaws in anything is my take. People bought the car for many different reasons. The stereo was not my top priority but you can believe that when I paid extra for a B&O system, I expected it to sound better than I think it does. I have to ask if you have changed anything on your car from stock....if you did, then well......... :)

Come on folks! Radio criticism really? That's why you bought this car?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Thatā€™s it. Iā€™m kinda pressed for time right now, but Iā€™m going to try to write up a procedure through my experience with this. There are tons ā€œjust do this/just do thatā€ posts but not many with a comprehensive walk through. Iā€™ll try to do that. I did hours of research and compiled instructions through multiple sources. I hope to put all of this together.
Sweet, I am sure others such as me would most appreciate the help.
Sponsored