Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Honest question...is the Bullitt considered a success?
define "success" and from who's viewpoint?
Context is definitely king here. I'd call it a success, all things considered. Ford got a lot of press at the NAIAS when it was revealed. Ford got a lot of media attention via 'first reviews" and "first drives". Bullitt aficionados appear to be happy with it (Matt Maran's test drive video still resounds in my head. I mean that in a good way.) So those are all net positives.

There are still a number of Bullitts sitting on dealer lots. But the same can be said for GT350, ZL1, Redeyes and pretty much any high specialty trim sports car. A lot of people love them, but many of those who love them can't rationally fit them into their car fleet.

From a performance perspective, I'd say it's kinda "meh". I expected the 20 hp to result in better performance numbers. I also expected that given the spotlight of the original car, handling like a beast through the streets of San Francisco, the most recent version would come to market as one of Ford's better handling Mustangs...Boss level, but not GT350 level. As an enthusiast, I was personally underwhelmed that Ford didn't go there and I'm GLAD they went there with Mach I. So from my perspective, performance is a net negative. The one I drove was totally underwhelming and felt like a base GT with a cool paint job. By contrast, my co-worker drove it after I did and he was totally impressed with it. Again...context. My frame of reference was my Camaro SS convertible, which handles on a totally different level than the Bullitt. His frame of reference was his Equinox.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars.com is currently showing 40 new 2019 Bullitt's and 36 2020's. The stupid ass dealers have to take the blame for the leftover 2019's with their ADM's. So that leaves 36 cars in the country. I would have to say from the perspective of Ford and Bullitt owners the car was an unqualified success.
I inquired about ordering one before the car had been released with a local dealer and they were already talking markup. There is one not far for me now that’s about 7K under MSRP ...a 2019. I wound up getting a 2017 GT 350 that had been sitting in the showroom so long the battery was dead.
$1500 under sticker.
From Ford's point of view, all those cars were sold. When ADM is involved, all the risk and reward is squarely on the dealers' shoulders.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The one I drove was totally underwhelming and felt like a base GT
You need to learn how to drive better, especially if it had MagneRide. Ha ha. The Bullitt to me is simply a GT PP1 package, but one that has basically every option either standard (most), or available (MR and Recaros). And that's why I bought it, not the name (heck, I haven't even seen that movie. Or any other with that guy. Ha ha). Couldn't find a fully loaded PP1 anywhere, and the closest ones were actually more expensive than Bullitts, so ended up with one, and got the extra engine goodies for free. At any rate, if somebody can't tell the difference from a base GT, with much inferior tires, brakes, and suspension, then they're not a performance driver, and don't really need a high-performance car. Nothing wrong with that, but just wanted to set the record straight :D.

And as far as being a success, I personally think Ford made way too many, and they had to be sold at record discounts. So maybe not such a success... but I wouldn't have bought one otherwise, so I'm okay with my failed Bullitt. Ha ha.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to learn how to drive better, especially if it had MagneRide. Ha ha. The Bullitt to me is simply a GT PP1 package, but one that has basically every option either standard (most), or available (MR and Recaros). And that's why I bought it, not the name (heck, I haven't even seen that movie. Or any other with that guy. Ha ha). Couldn't find a fully loaded PP1 anywhere, and the closest ones were actually more expensive than Bullitts, so ended up with one, and got the extra engine goodies for free. At any rate, if somebody can't tell the difference from a base GT, with much inferior tires, brakes, and suspension, then they're not a performance driver, and don't really need a high-performance car. Nothing wrong with that, but just wanted to set the record straight :D.

And as far as being a success, I personally think Ford made way too many, and they had to be sold at record discounts. So maybe not such a success... but I wouldn't have bought one otherwise, so I'm okay with my failed Bullitt. Ha ha.
You’re right, I don’t know what I’m doing. :wink: My issues with the Bullitt as a performance car are that the one I drove for a few days had a higher than I like it seating position with next to zero lateral seat support, so going around curves or corners means way too much driver’s body lean. There was a bit more car body lean than I like, but that’s a different issue. Also, at least on the one I drove, the MT was horrible. The gates were sloppy and the clutch travel was way too long and with not the appropriate amount of engagement feel. Drove a GT350 the next week and everything that was wrong on the Bullitt was super sweet on the GT350. The MT was click-click-click. The clutch was point on, the seats were snug, and the seating position was almost as low as I like it. Not quite as low, but I tend to drive Camaros and Corvettes, so low is low.
4F2639A3-84E5-4958-B39C-EB9179344080.png
BE58FB0D-9622-43A5-8CE9-8193A8AAC5DC.jpeg
0D567028-99FE-4A27-9274-25EEA59AEDBF.jpeg
D4981E92-41BE-4C98-BDE3-C87DB3AEDA9B.png
BD4E7589-0C18-445D-967C-571FE6870909.jpeg
A1AD27B6-6E0D-4DB4-A6A7-55FF54D4D137.jpeg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You need to learn how to drive better, especially if it had MagneRide.
I don't know about htat. I drove an admittedly used (13k miles) Bullitt and the chassis dynamics stunk to high heaven. I had just stepped out of my pro-Action+Dual-Rate car. I drove a GT350 w/ MR back to back with my SS/1LE and Shelby was reasonably close but still not up to scratch. I'd be careful about accusing those who find the Ford version of the MR to be inadequate of inability to drive. You can accuse me of that, sure. Just not Martin.

Fordified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several Mustangs thru the years
It's a GT with a sticker package, so allot of people have driven them but I guess technically you're correct
A sticker package?! I don't know how you came up with this conclusion. I'm referring to the Mach 1 with a handling package, that will no doubt nip at the heels of the outgoing GT350.
They will be fast stickers....

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You’re right, I don’t know what I’m doing.
I'd be careful about accusing those who find the Ford version of the MR to be inadequate of inability to drive.
If you can't tell a base GT, from a PP1+MR Bullitt, like that martin guy clearly said, you simply don't know how to drive. Sorry :D. If he was exaggerating, like a drama queen, well, next time don't do it, because he only looks like a fool :). I never said the Bullitt was better than a GT350, or any such non-sense. That guy said he couldn't tell a base GT from a Bullitt, so just used his own words. And both base and Bullitt have the same manual transmission, so comparing it to a GT350, is like a High School girl changing the subject. And I'm not defending the Bullitt, but just defending the non-sense that guy spewed. Now back to your regular programming :D.

I also have several multi-day track schools in both cars and motorcycles, and have owned dozens of powerful sports cars and motorcycles, plus my brother's exotics, so I know the subject too. If you want to discuss specific aspects of these cars, bring it on. But leave the BS to the ladies :D.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The Mach would be a nice upgrade but stock engine-wise a 15-17 can get there with mods for far less. If you intend to toss the warranty and go e85 the gen2 couldn’t keep up na.
So Let's say I want to build myself a 2017 Mach 1:

1. Wheels and Tires - Apex 19x11 are 2000$ and another 1800$ for MPSC2 in 305/30 all around.
2. Mishimoto Oil Cooler: 550$
3. FTB Diff Cooler: 1500$
4. Some suspension package preferably coilovers Ohlins with all supporting mods: 3500$
5. FP Power Pack 3 : 1800$

I didn't manage to find trans cooler but I don't think the stock MT82 need this anyway.

Total: 11 150$

And you still miss on TR3160 and on digital dash and active exhaust and all the aero bits.

So value for money the Mach 1 is great for someone with 2015-2017 Mustang.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
So Let's say I want to build myself a 2017 Mach 1:

1. Wheels and Tires - Apex 19x11 are 2000$ and another 1800$ for MPSC2 in 305/30 all around.
2. Mishimoto Oil Cooler: 550$
3. FTB Diff Cooler: 1500$
4. Some suspension package preferably coilovers Ohlins with all supporting mods: 3500$
5. FP Power Pack 3 : 1800$

I didn't manage to find trans cooler but I don't think the stock MT82 need this anyway.

Total: 11 150$

And you still miss on TR3160 and on digital dash and active exhaust and all the aero bits.

So value for money the Mach 1 is great for someone with 2015-2017 Mustang.
True if you want The handling and track prowess of the Mach 1. But if you want Mach 1 power levels the $1800 bit gets you within 8 hp. That was my only point.
Sponsored