Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
That's probably true as to some folks, but I'd be ok with paying over $50K had it come with 500+ HP AND they treated the A10 customers to the same options.
Where do you find 500HP, Brembo's, Tremec, Magnaride, warranty, and 20+ MPG's out in the market for 50k? I'd honestly like to know because I can't find it. Replace Tremec with the A10 (which is how I'd build a Mach) and it gets quicker.

When I price shop new M3's and RS5's it makes the 50k mark seem reasonable. All things considered.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s been noted many times the superiority of the Camaro in a few different areas yet they just don’t sell. The marketplace usually separates the best from just the good. So why do buyers flock to the Mustang and let the Camaro’s just sit on the lot?
If I had the definitive answer I could ransom it for a few million dollars to GM management. It's 'looks', 'interior', and trunk opening IMO with the biggest factor being looks. GM's penned-by-5yr old comic-book artists is I think the biggest factor. raise the seat pan, drop the sills, provide a canopy you can see out of and sales will dramatically pick up. I've mentioned before, GM excels in performance Engineering, Ford in looks and day-to-day ergonomics.

I don't look at the Camaro, I just drive it. The Mustang I can actually sit and just look at.

Last edited:

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
Nutrider - To advertise / endorse/ support something heavily, usually to an irrational extent.

lol
GM's penned-by-5yr old comic-book artists is I think the biggest factor. raise the seat pan, drop the sills, provide a canopy you can see out of and sales will dramatically pick up.
I think that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Sponsored

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
Where do you find 500HP, Brembo's, Tremec, Magnaride, warranty, and 20+ MPG's out in the market for 50k? I'd honestly like to know because I can't find it. Replace Tremec with the A10 (which is how I'd build a Mach) and it gets quicker.

When I price shop new M3's and RS5's it makes the 50k mark seem reasonable. All things considered.
You are reading too much into my commment. I am simply saying that had Ford made the Mach 1 with 500+ HP (shouldn't be too incredibly hard to get from 460 (or 480) to 501), and provided the same options to A10 customer's, I would have been possibly interested had the car price started with a "5." That's it. It's has nothing to do with whether there are other options in that price range. I think Ford could have met my two criteria with a price starting with a "5". It was a stubborn, boneheaded decision not to offer the same options to automatic and manual customers, and simply lazy to just roll-out the same 480 HP as the Bullitt.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You are reading too much into my commment. I am simply saying that had Ford made the Mach 1 with 500+ HP (shouldn't be too incredibly hard to get from 460 (or 480) to 501), and provided the same options to A10 customer's, I would have been possibly interested had the car price started with a "5." That's it. It's has nothing to do with whether there are other options in that price range. I think Ford could have met my two criteria with a price starting with a "5". It was a stubborn, boneheaded decision not to offer the same options to automatic and manual customers, and simply lazy to just roll-out the same 480 HP as the Bullitt.
Here’s what I do not understand. Why is everyone fixated on a number that has yet to be confirmed? The 480 is projected, not definite. Why are so willing to beat up Ford for not doing something that hasn’t even been announced yet?

I do agree with the A10 and HP issue but how do not think Ford hasn’t already looked at this. Do you really think this was solely a decision by the bean counters? No, this was an engineering decision and I’m sure there is a reason for. Hopefully it will be worked out considering the amount of backlash the decision has received. How about we start this rumor. They are not using the A10 with the HP because they plan to put the DCT in it.

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
Here’s what I do not understand. Why is everyone fixated on a number that has yet to be confirmed? The 480 is projected, not definite. Why are so willing to beat up Ford for not doing something that hasn’t even been announced yet?

I do agree with the A10 and HP issue but how do not think Ford hasn’t already looked at this. Do you really think this was solely a decision by the bean counters? No, this was an engineering decision and I’m sure there is a reason for. Hopefully it will be worked out considering the amount of backlash the decision has received. How about we start this rumor. They are not using the A10 with the HP because they plan to put the DCT in it.
If only Ford published "500" hp, this thread would be only 37 pages of speculation, bench-racing, and disappointment!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
simply lazy to just roll-out the same 480 HP as the Bullitt.
you can likely blame emissions (Commie-fornia) and international certifications for that one. What we really need is a 45-state model with 501HP and a fellow-communists state and international version at 480 or better yet 420hp. If you're gonna do it, why not hoist the black flag and tell CA and the other handful of States who chose to sign onto their madness to F'off.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Matt, you are in a unique position of owning both Mustang’s and Camaro’s. It’s been noted many times the superiority of the Camaro in a few different areas yet they just don’t sell. The marketplace usually separates the best from just the good. So why do buyers flock to the Mustang and let the Camaro’s just sit on the lot?
I'm gonna intercept this one. The short answer is that Camaro is better at being a performance car. Where decisions had to be made on tradeoffs for performance or everyday livability (is that even a word?) Camaro fell on the performance side. Mustang is the better "fit within my lifestyle" car. For the first several years of Ca6 vs M6, where Mustang outsold Camaro was on the base and midtrim levels. When you compared V8 to V8 they were pretty much on par. But since nobody is taking 2.0T or 3.6L Camaros to a strip or track (1LE versions excluded) people considering those cars more often bought Mustangs. So for people using their sports car for every aspect of their lives, Mustang is simply easier to live with. If I had to rely on my sports car for my all the time use, the shape of the trunk opening might have been a deal breaker. But I have a nice SUV so it's a non-issue. Insert seating position, visibility issues, or your favorite ergonomic irritation and assume others have the same issues.

After the first few years, Ford also pulled ahead in sales of the V8 models. There are probably a couple key factors at play there
  • Until the non-SS LT1 car option was made available in 2019, getting a Camaro V8 was pricewise on par with getting a Mustang PP1. Base Mustang GT sales vs PP1 sales are proof that not everyone is willing to pay the extra bucks for performance, but that's where Camaro started. And for those who didn't want to pay for a V8, Mustang EcoBoost is a better value proposition than a Camaro L4 or V6.
  • Introduction of the Mustang A10 at a time where GM was just finally getting around to fixing A8 shudder issue
  • Continued introduction of multiple performance oriented / nostalgic models. GM stopped after Zl1 1LE in 2018. And that car is NOT for everybody. Ford continued with Bullitt, GT500, and now Mach I
All-in-All, comparing similar trims, Camaro is the better V8 performance car and offers more content, but Mustang is the more livable car, with great performance and has a decided edge in the non-V8 trims (except 1LE).

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
You and I are usually pretty well aligned........but on this subject I'm not so sure. The A10 sees duty in a 600hp+ Camaro without issue. Ford have a habit of not allowing the option of the auto with their performance packages. Back in '15, the Performance Pack was manual only (apart from the 50 Years Limited edition) and the rest of the world S550s were pretty much Performance Packs in terms of specs, and yet the auto was always an option, so I don't believe it was an engineering decision.

Same goes for the 18+ PP2.....manual only, and yet the Mach 1 is effectively a PP2 in base trim, and you can spec the auto. But you can't get the auto if you go for the Handling Pack (which is pretty much just wider wheels/tires and front/rear spoilers).

I honestly don't believe it's an engineering thing, I just think they believe the "hard core" choice should be manual only. And in a shrinking market I don't think that's a good move. You want your customers to have the maximum choice in order to maximize sales.

My ideal spec would be a 10-speed with the Handling Pack but as that's not an option I'd go for the base car and just stump up for the wider wheels/spoilers myself from the aftermarket. But that means Ford have just lost $$.

As for the DCT......nope, that'll remain a GT500 unique selling point.

:like:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ooo, I love playing make-believe, let me try! Take it a step further on the DCT. Ford is testing the waters on creating an in-house, mass production DCT. Every S650 auto will have the F-DCDST (Ford Dual Clutch Direct Shift Transmission). All manual owners will get a special coloring book as part of their membership in the Real Driver's Club.
Need I remind you what happened last time Ford created an in-house DCT? Three words... Class....Action...Lawsuit.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly don't believe it's an engineering thing, I just think they believe the "hard core" choice should be manual only. And in a shrinking market I don't think that's a good move. You want your customers to have the maximum choice in order to maximize sales.
GM also had to learn this same lesson WRT the 1LE trims on the SS and ZL1. At the end of the day, selling units is what matters, not kissing the ass of 6MT snobs. :)
Though if Ford/GM/Dodge go to DCT or A10+ as the only option I'm out. I'll go buy a Miata or Mazda3 or something. Damn it Ford, where are my paddle shifters on the F150. A MT would be so nice...

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You and I are usually pretty well aligned........but on this subject I'm not so sure. The A10 sees duty in a 600hp+ Camaro without issue. Ford have a habit of not allowing the option of the auto with their performance packages. Back in '15, the Performance Pack was manual only (apart from the 50 Years Limited edition) and the rest of the world S550s were pretty much Performance Packs in terms of specs, and yet the auto was always an option, so I don't believe it was an engineering decision.

Same goes for the 18+ PP2.....manual only, and yet the Mach 1 is effectively a PP2 in base trim, and you can spec the auto. But you can't get the auto if you go for the Handling Pack (which is pretty much just wider wheels/tires and front/rear spoilers).

My ideal spec would be a 10-speed with the Handling Pack but as that's not an option I'd go for the base car and just stump up for the wider wheels/spoilers myself from the aftermarket. But that means Ford have just lost $$.

As for the DCT......nope, that'll remain a GT500 unique selling point.

:like:
The caveat here is that even though Ford and GM co-developed the A10, and even though Ford was the development lead for the A10 (GM was development lead for the FWD A9) each company was free and clear to develop their own variants. In short, the A10 in the Camaro ZL1 is NOT the same A10 used in Mustangs or F-150s. It has significant engineering differences to manage the 650 lb-ft of torque (the real issue, not the hp) that are not present in the Ford A10. In fact, I believe the ZL1 A10 is unique to ZL1 and the Camaro SS A10 is more similar to the Mustang A10.
Sponsored