Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Those "shaker" hoods look ridiculous, good job Ford is not using it on the new the Mach 1.
Indeed. And the absolute deal killer even if it didn't look ridiculous, is that t's FREAKING FAKE.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
There is an 'unsub thread' button at the top of the page...

But of course, otherwise they'd be reminded incessantly about HOW MUCH did you pay for that Mustang?

I'm glad Ford finally delivered what they should have from the get go for the PP2 trim. But I have to ask what good is competitive intelligence if you're gonna take 5 years to fix an obvious error? Then again Ford was right, lots of people will still buy a poorly equipped Mustang for considerably more money than the much better equipped Camaro. If they price the Mach1 at 55-60k the Ford execs will be rolling on the floor at the gullibility (no, that's too mean, call it brand devotion) of Mustang buyers.

Ford: "We give them half-assed crap and they BUY IT! and then we STILL won't warranty it for track use, guffaw".
GM: "How do we get whatever elixir Mustang buyers put in their morning coffee? We deliver a superior car in every useful way and they still won't buy it, even at a healthy discount."
If I were racing for money for making a living and using a stock car, I would probably choose the Camaro over the Mustang. Since I am not, the Mustang PP2 is 95% (just add a fracking diff cooler) of a Camaro SS 1LE is on the track and more usable in almost every way off the track. For me, the Mustang is the superior product. Sure it could cost more, but you get more as well. I will say that the Camaro SS 1LE corners like a go-kart with authority right off the show room floor!

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
The reason why they didn't give it more - it would embarrass GT350 owners. That's what this is. They could've done any of the things mentioned above but they didn't.
Now why they would piss off Mustang owners by making a Mach-E Mustang - that I do not understand.

What does it matter... the GT350 is gone as of 2021. So if they embarrass GT350 owners what is the big deal.

A 2020 Mustang GT will embarrass a 2017 Mustang GT.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
From what I see , Ford is going to have a Mach 1 that will satisfy 90 % of the Mustang performance fans in the USA and Europe. The 10 % of us who want more performance will probably wait for Ford to offer a Drag Pack option version of the Mach 1. Remember, the Drag Pack option is the Mach 1 Mustangs heritage,

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
The offset on the Handling Pack wheels is so much better.........but even that could benefit from an inch drop.

I'd love to know what the parameters are that define ride height for production cars as its still something I think Ford doesn't get right.

The Australian R-Spec gets it much better in my opinion. This still uses Magneride........here it is with the option 20" wheels which not only fill the arches better, but have a perfect offset. I wish they call came from the factory like this!
R-Spec Herrod Wheels Twister Orange 1.jpg
R-Spec Herrod Wheels Twister Orange 2.jpg
Yeah, Handling Package is a bitter better with the wider stance, but should still be a bit lower. What is even worse is that it seems like that know it looks not good and release press photos of either photoshopped or modified cars.

I get that you want to sell cars that down scrape their underbody off when driving up a ramp. But leaving so much space on your "best performance Coyote Mustang" is just strange

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
What does it matter... the GT350 is gone as of 2021. So if they embarrass GT350 owners what is the big deal.

A 2020 Mustang GT will embarrass a 2017 Mustang GT.
that’s not an equal comparison at all.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Since Ford is trying to appeal to us older folks who remember the Mach 1, ride quality is important. My eyes were opened when I drove the '18 Premium, 20" wheels vs my Bullitt with MagneRide. The '18 simply had a better ride. Especially on Michigan's bumpy roads.

I also owned a 15 premium which handled worse than the '18 and had poorer ride quality (noise, harshness). So, Ford has been listening and trying to increase the appeal and performance of the Mustang. I congratulate them on that!

If the 21 Mach 1 has a decent ride, decent handling and a better A10 it is definitely going to take market share. Plus it has the best driver position of any of the pony cars. I still find it hard to believe that a Camaro owner can live with the "bucket" feel in the driver's seat. Those guys and gals must really be loyal customers.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Since Ford is trying to appeal to us older folks who remember the Mach 1, ride quality is important. .
Hope not, as Millenials are the future!

Since Ford is trying to appeal to us older folks who remember the Mach 1, ride quality is important. My eyes were opened when I drove the '18 Premium, 20" wheels vs my Bullitt with MagneRide. The '18 simply had a better ride. Especially on Michigan's bumpy roads.
Smaller wheel sizes are always going to give a better ride.

I also owned a 15 premium which handled worse than the '18 and had poorer ride quality (noise, harshness). So, Ford has been listening and trying to increase the appeal and performance of the Mustang. I congratulate them on that!
What track testing have you done to detemine this?

If the 21 Mach 1 has a decent ride, decent handling and a better A10 it is definitely going to take market share. .
That's why Ford need to appeal to a younger audience as othwerwise we'll all end up with the boring/annoying A10.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Does anyone think that Ford is trying to distance themselves from all the videos and comments how a Mustang fish tales out of control and crashes?

I think all this talk of track cars is a way to show they are improving handling and maybe, attempting to show they are rectifying the fact the car doesn't always go straight.

Also, has anyone thought to look at how many cars are as fast as or faster than , in 0-60 or 1/4 mile, the Mustang? I think they are trying to separate themselves from straight line speed (only) by saying not only do we go fast but we can turn too. Too many options if you are looking to JUST go fast in as straight line. I know that drag racing is so much more than this but to many who only see those numbers as stop light racers, that is all that is important.

Personally, I would rather see them drop 2-300 lbs from the car, like the Camaro did a few years ago (and then slowly added some of it back!) and get speed from weight loss. Maybe even improve the balance a bit. Less than 50 hp doesn't change much, IMHO, to the performance of a heavy car. Shedding weight is another story.

Just a thought...
Yeah, Ford developed an Independent Rear Suspension in the s550... Which dramatically changed the Mustang's handling....

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

If the 21 Mach 1 has a decent ride, decent handling and a better A10 it is definitely going to take market share. Plus it has the best driver position of any of the pony cars. I still find it hard to believe that a Camaro owner can live with the "bucket" feel in the driver's seat. Those guys and gals must really be loyal customers.
It's a matter of taste and preference. When I test drove a Bullitt press car, I felt almost like I was driving my SRX. Too tall for my taste and too much lateral movement. When I test drove a GT350 press car the next week it felt a lot closer to my seating position in my Camaro. Low and snugged in. I think more people prefer the taller ride position. Part of the reason CUVs sell so well. I'm okay with it for casual driving, touring (my SRX), but when I'm canyon carving or hitting the drag strip, I want to feel closer to the road.

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
that’s not an equal comparison at all.
Sure it is the Mach 1 is replacing the GT350 in the Mustang lineup for 2021.

Just like the 2021 Mustang GT is replacing the 2020 GT
Sponsored