Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Case in point, you don't upset your loyal customers.
who are for the most part well over 50 if not 60yr old. The fickle, don't even own a car, virtue-signaling millenial is the market Ford is trying to not lose wholesale. Ford will fail of course but they can tell the shareholders "we tried, we even gave it the Mustang name".
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The only thing I really don't like on the Mach 1 is that they still going for that really bad space above the wheel and not so great spacing. I mean come on, you don't go crazy with that on a car from the factory, but still customers will most likely buy different springs and spacers here to make it look as performance oriented as Ford says this car is. And this will mess with the setup Ford wants to offer.
21my-mach-1-tt-3-jpg.jpg
The offset on the Handling Pack wheels is so much better.........but even that could benefit from an inch drop.

I'd love to know what the parameters are that define ride height for production cars as its still something I think Ford doesn't get right.

The Australian R-Spec gets it much better in my opinion. This still uses Magneride........here it is with the option 20" wheels which not only fill the arches better, but have a perfect offset. I wish they call came from the factory like this!
R-Spec Herrod Wheels Twister Orange 1.jpg
R-Spec Herrod Wheels Twister Orange 2.jpg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I wouldn’t say i don’t consider it a car for the strip, it’s absolutely a great platform. But as ford said it’s the most track capable 5.0? I forget the phrase they used. Which it is absolutely that, they made it a track car with the full purpose of going around turns. That doesn’t mean it can’t go fast in a straight line.

I just feel they had multiple variations/levels of track oriented cars In recent past to make one that is more dedicated towards the strip this time. Especially using the Mach 1 name. Instead of taking parts off the gt350 for cornering, take parts off the cobra jet for straight line.
I hear you. But keep in mind Ford is dealing with financial issues so I'm pretty happy we got what we did. Also consider the competition. Dodge is pure strip, Chevy mainly track. Ford is trying to keep both camps happy. I think that they're doing a hell of a job.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
The offset on the Handling Pack wheels is so much better.........but even that could benefit from an inch drop.

I'd love to know what the parameters are that define ride height for production cars as its still something I think Ford doesn't get right.

The Australian R-Spec gets it much better in my opinion. This still uses Magneride........here it is with the option 20" wheels which not only fill the arches better, but have a perfect offset. I wish they call came from the factory like this!
To sum up our ride height parameters here in the US in one word, "roads". We run the gamut from super smooth to some of the worst on the planet. The current gap saves saves warranty costs and also maintains a decent level of comfort. Besides Ford knows the aftermarket is out there for those who want a sleeker look.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Ohh really... OK. I guess you speak for all Shelby owners. You do know the GT350 is still a Mustang right? What I can tell you is if I had purchased a GT350 and then Ford discontinued it, and then subsequently releases a new model under an old name (which has much less provenance/history than a Shelby 350 does) and makes it just as good, I would get pretty annoyed. And as for your comment on the brakes - yeah they're better on the GT350 but that level of braking is not needed by 95%+ of owners. The PP brembo brakes are plenty enough for most drivers.

Case in point, you don't upset your loyal customers. And Ford is on the edge of doing that. They've already done it by making an electric SUV and calling it a Mustang. I can see you and I aren't going to agree so I'll leave it at this and move on.
Sorry Ryan for getting a little testy. I'm just so tired of hearing it could have been this, it should have been that. It is what it is. I think it's great. Others not so much. That's OK, but the bashing is just unnecessary. IMHO, of course. :)

Now of course I'm not speaking for all Shelby owners. But the one's I do know barely consider their car a Mustang or call it that. It's always a "Shelby" or a "350". Regardless the Shelby Mustang GT350 is an iconic car. We had it for 5 years. Nothing will replace it. The fact that we have some GT350/GT500 DNA in the Mach 1 is a blessing to be celebrated, not argued over.

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
I hear you. But keep in mind Ford is dealing with financial issues so I'm pretty happy we got what we did. Also consider the competition. Dodge is pure strip, Chevy mainly track. Ford is trying to keep both camps happy. I think that they're doing a hell of a job.
Again, i think the car itself is going to be great and ford did well. Even tho price will probably make or break it. But with all the handling cars and packages ford has made the last few years, making that drag car is what was needed to keep both camps happy imo.

This is all just talk now because the car was already made, if you don’t like it don’t buy it. But in my mind it was the wrong platform considering the name and the options already available in other models. But still a viable option and one I’m considering once price and other ordering details are finalized.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Again, i think the car itself is going to be great and ford did well. Even tho price will probably make or break it. But with all the handling cars and packages ford has made the last few years, making that drag car is what was needed to keep both camps happy imo.

This is all just talk now because the car was already made, if you don’t like it don’t buy it. But in my mind it was the wrong platform considering the name and the options already available in other models. But still a viable option and one I’m considering once price and other ordering details are finalized.
Here's hoping you get your 2024 S650 Boss 302! :like::rockon::fistbump:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It's going to be a good car. Probably even a really good car.

But some of us wanted something different under the hood to make it unique from everything else like the '03-'04 iteration was. I remember going to bed actually excited about it the night before the reveal. When I read about it the next morning and that it was getting the Bullitt engine it was like discovering a cat turd in my Cheerios. In other words, not what I was expecting, or better yet, wanting.

Everyone that gets one will love it. I'm just not going to be one of those people because I don't think it offers enough over what I already have in that one critical area.

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
Here's hoping you get your 2024 S650 Boss 302! :like::rockon::fistbump:
i don’t have that much patience lol I’m struggling to hold out until January just for a 2021. Stopping myself from going to a dealer and just picking up a 2020 right now. I’d build a straight line car so waiting for the Mach 1 is kinda silly, but we’ll see what other changes come to the 21 gt.

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Does anyone think that Ford is trying to distance themselves from all the videos and comments how a Mustang fish tales out of control and crashes?

I think all this talk of track cars is a way to show they are improving handling and maybe, attempting to show they are rectifying the fact the car doesn't always go straight.

Also, has anyone thought to look at how many cars are as fast as or faster than , in 0-60 or 1/4 mile, the Mustang? I think they are trying to separate themselves from straight line speed (only) by saying not only do we go fast but we can turn too. Too many options if you are looking to JUST go fast in as straight line. I know that drag racing is so much more than this but to many who only see those numbers as stop light racers, that is all that is important.

Personally, I would rather see them drop 2-300 lbs from the car, like the Camaro did a few years ago (and then slowly added some of it back!) and get speed from weight loss. Maybe even improve the balance a bit. Less than 50 hp doesn't change much, IMHO, to the performance of a heavy car. Shedding weight is another story.

Just a thought...

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Sorry Ryan for getting a little testy. I'm just so tired of hearing it could have been this, it should have been that. It is what it is. I think it's great. Others not so much. That's OK, but the bashing is just unnecessary. IMHO, of course. :)

Now of course I'm not speaking for all Shelby owners. But the one's I do know barely consider their car a Mustang or call it that. It's always a "Shelby" or a "350". Regardless the Shelby Mustang GT350 is an iconic car. We had it for 5 years. Nothing will replace it. The fact that we have some GT350/GT500 DNA in the Mach 1 is a blessing to be celebrated, not argued over.
Oh, no worries man. It looks like a great car - I like it. I think we both understand similar things but think about it differently, which is OK. I didn't meant to say the 350 would be replaced, but maybe it could get knocked down a peg in some's eyes. As far the car, I'd love to have one. Not sure I'd spend $50K+ for one, but I do like it. They finally seemed to be able to make the front end look right after the 2018 and up facelift, but that's just one man's opinion.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry Ryan for getting a little testy. I'm just so tired of hearing it could have been this, it should have been that.
There is an 'unsub thread' button at the top of the page...

But the one's I do know barely consider their car a Mustang or call it that. It's always a "Shelby" or a "350".
But of course, otherwise they'd be reminded incessantly about HOW MUCH did you pay for that Mustang?

I'm glad Ford finally delivered what they should have from the get go for the PP2 trim. But I have to ask what good is competitive intelligence if you're gonna take 5 years to fix an obvious error? Then again Ford was right, lots of people will still buy a poorly equipped Mustang for considerably more money than the much better equipped Camaro. If they price the Mach1 at 55-60k the Ford execs will be rolling on the floor at the gullibility (no, that's too mean, call it brand devotion) of Mustang buyers.

Ford: "We give them half-assed crap and they BUY IT! and then we STILL won't warranty it for track use, guffaw".
GM: "How do we get whatever elixir Mustang buyers put in their morning coffee? We deliver a superior car in every useful way and they still won't buy it, even at a healthy discount."
Sponsored