Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Not a thing. But the Mach should have the snort to outrun a tuned GT in stock form, in my eyes. Then any tune on the Mach increases the gap.

I wanted special sauce, and it ain't there.
Ok, that's a good point. But as soon as Ford stated 480 hp it pretty much places it in the same performance ring with GT PP1 with a slight blip in hp. All the development spending was spent on special sauce to get it to go around corners and curves waaay faster than the typical GT and that is pretty much mission accomplished. And yet it won't be a slouch in a straight line and should best any stock GT. Just like on the Camaro side, a 1LE is no faster than a stock SS. Probably slower because of MT only until 2021, but a 1LE will totally dominate an SS on the track. Seems to me that this is what Ford was going for. A "1LE" of sorts for the Mustang lineup. Mission accomplished it seems, pending real world tests and pricing.
Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
There is nothing wrong with a parts bin car, especially if you are pulling the parts from the right bins. A lot of mustang guys like to bash the camaro for being a parts bin car....they pulled parts from some really good bins if you ask me.
Exactly, well said.
There is so much huff and puff about various cars being parts pin specials, and a disappointment as a result.
Again, folks who have never worked in a company that you have to deal with suppliers, supply lines, manufacturing, R&D, pay salaries, pay benefits, etc etc the list goes on - and still market the product at a price that research has shown will be acceptable for target audience to buy it, AND also turn a profit for the company - many folks think it's so easy. It's not. In fact, it's tougher than it ever was.

There is a distinct difference between badge engineering (like what Chrysler was doing in the 80s and 90s with Plymouth, Dodge; and what GM was doing with Pontiac, Chevy) and parts bin cars, where, at the right mix of the good things, the entire overall package is something reasonably special. Some of the greatest cars are ones where the OE raided the parts bin. Other really great cars that have almost everything bespoke for their trim? Look at the prices.

If folks want everything bespoke and special, A) there will be no car or B) at the price required to charge, you won't buy it.
Is the Mach 1 a parts bin special? To some extent, yes - but objectively speaking, it's got most of the right stuff, and I'm glad it exists. It's not the abomination some are saying it is. To be honest, that's not only knee-jerk, but it's pretty dramatic and incorrect. Your opinion, sure. But founded or unfounded, is another question.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Ok, that's a good point. But as soon as Ford stated 480 hp it pretty much places it in the same performance ring with GT PP1 with a slight blip in hp. All the development spending was spent on special sauce to get it to go around corners and curves waaay faster than the typical GT and that is pretty much mission accomplished. And yet it won't be a slouch in a straight line and should best any stock GT. Just like on the Camaro side, a 1LE is no faster than a stock SS. Probably slower because of MT only until 2021, but a 1LE will totally dominate an SS on the track. Seems to me that this is what Ford was going for. A "1LE" of sorts for the Mustang lineup. Mission accomplished it seems, pending real world tests and pricing.
I get that. But to get me to bite, there has to be something a little more under the hood, ala' SN95 Mach.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
As Sam Axe (Burn Notice) would have said, "Mustang owners are a bunch of bitchy little girls". So much good about the new Mach 1 and all you hear is what it should have had, what it doesn't have, yata, yata, yata.

First off the Mach 1 is not a Bullitt+ it is a GT++++. The Bullitt was a movie car special. Essentially a fully loaded GT PP1 with green paint. It was not a track focused car, either strip or race course. So enough with the Bullitt already, move on. Also if you recall from the get go the price difference between a fully loaded GT and a Bullitt was virtually non-existent so once again just use the GT as a starting point.

Secondly, this MACH 1 is giving potential buyers almost everything you've been asking for. You wanted a Tremec, you got it (except JC, of course). Actually a Tremec +. Coolers, you wanted coolers, you got them. For you auto folks, you got the 10R80. OK, not on the HP, but I'm willing to bet there's a good reason for that. Eventually we will find out.

Lastly pricing. Good lord, we have been dealing with $50K GT's for three years now. Take a fully loaded GT, add the Tremec, coolers, maybe the HP and all other goodies and what did you expect? $40K. Get real. This is a $60K car. If this is to high, fine, stop bitching about it and don't buy it. Many on here like it, and are going to be buying it. This will most likely be the last special S550 so pricing is what it is.

One last note, some have pointed out Ford's financial issues. They could have easily killed the Mach 1. But they didn't. Based on what we have now seen it appears to be an awesome car. Let's celebrate what it is, not what everyone would have liked to have seen.
This.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
To go fast, you have several options, one of which is to improve traction and handling. Horsepower is another. Have you ever watched those youtube videos where they get a car to go faster by improving the suspension and the traction? I think that is what they did for the Mach 1.

cmxPPL219 said it right.

The Mach 1 has the right stuff!

Ford grabbed the best of what they had and made a reliable car better.

To stay current, cars need to me more than drag cars. They need to handle well. Tracking seems in the eyes of many and maybe in the eyes of manufacturing too to be more important than drag strip numbers. Everything today can go fast in a straight line. You can buy a super heavy truck or SUV and go fast in a straight line. Straight line performance no longer sets a car a part from one another. Handling does. Look at all the flipped over SUVs in accident photos and such. They may have power but couldn't turn worth a darn. Sports/ sporty cars can and must handle well. Everything has improved in handling with all the engineering and the electronic nannies that all you have left to show the buying public how special your car is, is to show how it performs on the track.

The Mach 1 sets itself a part from the drag strip queens and the go straight fast SUVs/ trucks by being very capable of turning fast, stopping quickly and handling well or at least that is what the parts suggest and my experience with my own PP2.

IF you do not like it, do not buy it. If it doesn't check your boxes, leave it for someone else.

As for selling cars for collectors, that has been happening for years. Cars are not priced for the average Joe with the abilities to buy a fully loaded car under $40K. You want the prestige, you will have to pay for it. You want all the creature comforts and specialty upgrades, you will have to pay for it and probably through the nose. Exclusivity and luxury has a price and it is often high and out of reach of many. Sorry, to be so blunt. you can still afford a base GT and modify it for much less and end up with an equal car to the Mach 1. It just will not be a Mach 1. But, it will handle as good or better.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
To go fast, you have several options, one of which is to improve traction and handling. Horsepower is another. Have you ever watched those youtube videos where they get a car to go faster by improving the suspension and the traction? I think that is what they did for the Mach 1.

cmxPPL219 said it right.

The Mach 1 has the right stuff!

Ford grabbed the best of what they had and made a reliable car better.

To stay current, cars need to me more than drag cars. They need to handle well. Tracking seems in the eyes of many and maybe in the eyes of manufacturing too to be more important than drag strip numbers. Everything today can go fast in a straight line. You can buy a super heavy truck or SUV and go fast in a straight line. Straight line performance no longer sets a car a part from one another. Handling does. Look at all the flipped over SUVs in accident photos and such. They may have power but couldn't turn worth a darn. Sports/ sporty cars can and must handle well. Everything has improved in handling with all the engineering and the electronic nannies that all you have left to show the buying public how special your car is, is to show how it performs on the track.

The Mach 1 sets itself a part from the drag strip queens and the go straight fast SUVs/ trucks by being very capable of turning fast, stopping quickly and handling well or at least that is what the parts suggest and my experience with my own PP2.
Agreed.
If you want a drag strip queen buy a Tesla.
The Mach 1 with the handling option looks to be a great package, maybe with the Voodoo engine would be fantastic but then I guess you are just buying a GT350.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
LOL hates to be that guy and then is that guy...I can rev match just fine but sometimes it would be nice when commuting to have the feature available. It can be turned on and off when you want it so really not a big deal...let me guess you didn't buy a GT500 because it has a dual clutch and not because you can't afford it. Technology is not the enemy and features like rev matching are what is keeping manuals around for us to enjoy. I bet you cried over the Mach E too lol
I actually had a bunch of money saved up to get a C8, but when they released it without a manual I bought a house with the money instead.

I won't buy anything with a DCT because I enjoy driving, not just going a tenth faster. My truck is a manual as well.

Ronp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500, Iconic, '19 F150 ScrewFX4
Haven't made it through all the comments yet but I like the car. The wheels on both models look good. Front end / nose looks real good - a nice improvement over the 2018-20 version. The tremec with cooling is a welcome edition. I like the graphics on the hood and sides. They are tastefully done. The addition of the A10 is welcome. Wonder if the extra 20 horses will be noticeable if this is lined up beside an A10 2018-20 Mustang GT? To me its the perfect platform to add a supercharger to and call it a day! Now that would be fun!!!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder if the extra 20 horses will be noticeable if this is lined up beside an A10 2018-20 Mustang GT?
likely no. But then again I was surprised at how much more eagerly the Bullitt spun up compared to the normal GT. The car I drove was used and might have had a tune (that said mine has a tune too) but it was noticeable. I need to find me a 'new' Bullitt and see if the observation holds.

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
This car checks all the boxes for me to upgrade from my 15GT
-Front Facia fixed, looks like the GT350, which is best front end ever on a Stang! CHECK
-Rear lower, looks like GT500 or 350, mufflers not hanging in the wind, looks complete. CHECK
-Horsepower Bump. CHECK
-Special Model with lot of unique looks and features. Limited.. CHECK
-A10 in a special mode. CHECK
-Mid $50K so attainable CHECK
-Magnaride special suspension CHECK

I could go on but I think Ford finally listened to all our wants and needs at a price point we can afford.
Good Job!

My order will be the non-handling pack with leather and probably appearance package. I drive year round and don't race so no need for the big tires and ground affects here.

Mhawke7894

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
This car checks all the boxes for me to upgrade from my 15GT
-Front Facia fixed, looks like the GT350, which is best front end ever on a Stang! CHECK
-Rear lower, looks like GT500 or 350, mufflers not hanging in the wind, looks complete. CHECK
-Horsepower Bump. CHECK
-Special Model with lot of unique looks and features. Limited.. CHECK
-A10 in a special mode. CHECK
-Mid $50K so attainable CHECK
-Magnaride special suspension CHECK

I could go on but I think Ford finally listened to all our wants and needs at a price point we can afford.
Good Job!

My order will be the non-handling pack with leather and probably appearance package. I drive year round and don't race so no need for the big tires and ground affects here.
Exactly how I'm feeling as well. I'll probably get aftermarket fog lights, and maybe a pair of aftermarket side scoops to go with it to help bring out the haunches a little more, but other than that I think it's the best attainable Mustang trim in years.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Good Job!
What the gave you was a parts bin car with a stupid markup, let alone the inevitable dealer markup. Perfectly good DCT trans and not even an option. Bullitt engine, & a diff cooler. Whoopity doo.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly don’t understand the negativity.
A fully loaded 2020gt will be the same price as a limited edition car that’s noticeably unique and special.
I also thought the Bullitt was a beautiful car and appreciate that Ford still gives us nostalgic options to enjoy and have fun with.
Sponsored