Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
I like the car. Looks good. Sounds like the PP2 might also be gone based on the way they talk about the specs. As for tranny, will have to wait an see. Sounds good but they could still be making a cheap unit.

Wonder how many of the Mach 1 parts will be able to just bolt up to other Mustangs?

Grill is nice and I like the additional coolers. The fake fogs are ugly but I bet there will be either a Ford or aftermarket swap for real fog lamps. With so much already coming with the car, they need to sell something over the counter as a dealer option. They will make some sort of illumination package and add them. Either that or when it is time for a refresh, they will add them then.

I will say I wish they made a dark blue metallic instead of the Velocity Blue. The Kona is too purple for me. Just want a dark blue. Also, I prefer my Ruby red metallic over race red. Race red looks too much like enamel nail polish to me. I want a car with depth in its paint. enamels without translucent layers and metal flake do not have depth. Also, the yellow and orange might not have much depth but I do think the car will look great in both of those colors. The white is cool too.

In the end, there is not enough there for me to sell my '19 GT PP2 to get a Mach 1. I will also bet the cost will be stupid high for what you get. 20 hp is barely felt and hardly changes the stats. Only a good driver will be able to eek out a difference between the PP2 and the Mach 1 and I am not a good driver. Add a diff cooler and the PP2 is a steal.
Would like to see performance blue ... relly like that color
Sponsored

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I almost mentioned that in some photos, it looked like they were actual holes, but I figured it might be just the lighting (they may have not even been removed, but neat that they can be).
Well that sounds more like it as I would just open them up. They may be a little too big to leave open all the time though. Now if you could just get the Recaros with the heat/cool option. The styling does look better than the regular GT, but I still like the looks of the Challenger better.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
If they were using GT350 bits couldn't they have at least gave us a flat bottom steering wheel? :bandit:

Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Why does Ford insist on gloss black plastic, ONLY for the upper grille...? Who the hell is designing it that way and who hurt them?
Cannot tell by the photos or videos to confirm, but also does the center lower grill color not even match the side air curtain vents, looks lighter and more grey than the darker black side vents along with the gloss top grill?

Makes me admire my GT/CS grill pieces more, both are gloss. and I have a steeda front bumper, and might have the satin side vents refinished to gloss.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If they were using GT350 bits couldn't they have at least gave us a flat bottom steering wheel? :bandit:
Good point and great idea. They could have spiffed up the interior a little bit more than just the dashboard trim panels and splash screen.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
A cool car good job Ford. I say sit back and wait for 2022. Love the trans change.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Should have thrown in a discount of maybe 2K for the GT350R brake package as an option (cheaper than the stand alone FP kit), just like Dodge and the Dynamics Package you can get for Scat Packs.

robsilveri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Mach 1, 18 GT
Any confirmation on what tires they've offered on the Handling Pack. They look like Pilot Sport Cups to me - what size though?

Sponsored

CarbonzillaUS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R
Vehicle(s)
So they made a reverse creamsicle with nothing really special for $10K more than mine? Pass, I’ll stick with Kermit.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
Sad to say, I was really looking forward to this vehicle "thinking" it was a 350 "replacement"(read new and improved), but the power numbers are an enormous letdown for me. Ford is basically telling us our 2021 track car is about the same as it was in 2016 minus 46HP, is heavier and costs more than the original GT350. Oh and don't forget the ADM's.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...s-pinnacle-of-mustang-5-0-liter-v8-style.html
Look on the right sidebar. Some sketches and stuff, and also this that shows the Handling Package comes in Manual only:
mach1comparison.jpg
I was actually gonna post this same info graphic.
Notice the PP2 is not included in this breakdown/comparison - as others said, could mean the PP2 is going away.
This would mean, if true, Ford wants Mach 1 to fill the void left by the PP2, Bullit and GT350/R.

Other things I noticed:
-official photos are pre-production models obviously - as someone else pointed out the fog light switch, I also noticed the grey car with orange accents has non-recaros, but on the instrument panel, it shows no heated/cooled seat controls. Either this is a pre-prod unit and not correct parts, or even on non-recaro seats, heated and cooled will not be offered.
m1.jpg

-infographic tires section says 305/30/19 for front tires
-meanwhile, press photos/vid show 305/35/19 (higher sidewall)
Could be an error either on the info graphic or the pre-prod unit - but Fords own teaser showed a front tire with 305/30/19. There are some anomalies with the pre-prod unit we're seeing. I noticed this right away in the press photos - front tires seemed too high.
Mach-1-Teaser-2.jpg

m2.png

Also, since I have a PP2, I'm seeing some incorrect info being talked about it by some. For the record, the PP2 is not just a rim/tire and splitter pkg. PP2 upgrades consist of:

-Front splitter and rear spoiler tuned to increase downforce for increased stability, but not too much that makes the vehicle slower
-305/30/19 Sport Cup 2 Tires all around
-19" rims
-slightly lowered ride height over PP1
-Revised Springs over PP1
-Revised Shocks over PP1
-Revised Sway bars over PP1
-Revised Magneride over PP1
-Revised EPAS tuning over PP1
-Revised ABS and TCS over PP1
Also includes the following PP1 equipment that is the same on the PP2:
-Larger Radiator
-K Brace
-Front Strut Tower Brace
-Brembo Brake Pkg
-Gauge pkg

The point of the PP2 is that, its for those who appreciate the upgrades over the PP1 - the PP2 car in Ford's testing was faster by about 5 seconds or so, over a PP1, on Grattan, despite having no power bump. For those who've been around suspension tuning for a while like I have, there is an art/science to aero (adding the right amount can make you go faster, but too aggressive, and you'll be too slow again, due to the the extra downforce) and suspension tuning to make a car go faster than it's lesser counterpart, despite no power increase.
The PP2 appeals to folks who appreciate this approach. Now, important to note, is it a hard core track car? No, obviously, and this is where the PP2 falls down, due to lack of coolers, which has been discussed and agreed upon at length. Folks also have to remember - cost. Adding things like coolers and working with suppliers available etc, it's not as cheap and easy as most think, and still be able to price it for Ford to make a profit and still sell them to folks.

But for what it provides, it speaks to a certain type of buyer that is not necessarily a hardcore track rat - if they are, the PP2 is not the car for you, or you have to do the coolers. Coolers also have a slight negative for those who DD or drive it yearly in cold temps - with coolers, another factor to remember that it'll be hard to get the oil and trans up to temp in colder climates to start getting on it (dry days obviously) unless you install blocking plates, etc.

I have mixed feelings about the Mach 1 overall - but I'll keep an open mind and give it a chance, see what more we find out as time goes on, and not dismiss it. It's easy to come to "armchair conclusions" on these forums and on the net, and I've never been one to do that.

Last edited:

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So if they're going away with PP2, wouldn't that make it a limited production product?
Sponsored