Sponsored

This is sad - 2 children killed at Drag Race event in TX

Deleted member 35644

When are people going to learn that any spectator position past the starting line is a dangerous place to be? A car in the race managed to find a group of cars and spectators to plow into. This SHOULD BE impossible. It's bad enough that adults are putting themselves in this position, but to involve children is beyond negligent parenting. RIP to the innocent souls who weren't old enough to decide this for themselves.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
There is absolutely no excuse for that! Very sad for those little ones. We had the same dipshittery here in the last few days. A fscktard had live rounds on a movie set and I’m sure you all know what happened. I’m always dumbfounded with the complete lack of common sense of people.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
When are people going to learn that any spectator position past the starting line is a dangerous place to be? A car in the race managed to find a group of cars and spectators to plow into. This SHOULD BE impossible. It's bad enough that adults are putting themselves in this position, but to involve children is beyond negligent parenting. RIP to the innocent souls who weren't old enough to decide this for themselves.
^^^^ Agree 100% with the spectator positioning.

Even with this being a somewhat of a "sponsored" event, I had these questions just seeing the partial footage and online images:

1) Why were spectators allowed that far down the strip - being the seating or standing positions were only ground level and without any other safety devices protecting them from the strip?

2) Who thought a "water barrier" would even be safe enough for vehicle deflection at high speeds? Any vehicle is going to bust through a non-stationary water barrier (meaning is not secured onto the road surface by any means of fasteners or other securing methods). That is a very poor choice of "safety" mechanism, period especially when a vehicle can become a 100mph+ projectile at any time AFTER it launches from the starting line.

3) Why were the spectators along the entire length of the strip allowed to be within feet of those water barriers? Again, those barriers aren't going to stop ANYTHING that comes barreling towards it at speed. Those type of barriers also would not protect anyone if say a vehicle had a mechanical failure and launched broken parts towards the crowd - those barriers were only about waist high.

I don't think this event was planned out very well from a safety perspective at all. It's a very unfortunate event for those children who were killed and the other spectators who were critically injured.
Sponsored