Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
the S550 doesn't even have that much of a soul
You've made some really good points but this one falls flat. Sorry if you car doesn't do it for you but mine certainly does have a soul. So did my 2015.
Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
While I agree to some extent, I'd rather have that 428CJ '70 anyday versus my '15. In fact, I've recently decided that rather than invest in another newer Mustang, I plan to revisit my list of cars I never got to own for whatever reason during my college and early career phase and buy those instead. I find I prefer to wrench on the older stuff anyway. I think my '15 might very well be the last one I buy new, and I'm only 52.

I still believe that the current cars are overpriced, much like most everything else. Too heavy, too much unnecessary tech and frippery (hate the digital dash and touchscreen), blah, blah, blah.
Don't do it.
If anything. build a big cube rowdy powerplant and stuff it in a newer rear drive vehicle.
Going back to ole school car dynamics and such will be a let down. After owning and driving anything that is a late model car.
Old cars drive and handle like crap, That ole school rowdy engine can put the power down.
Because We are spoiled with what todays vehicles can do, If I was to go down this road, I'd get a last of the breed panther platform, and then a late 60's ford f-100 and screw the body to the panthers chassis, then dumb a old school big cid rowdy engine in it, with efi and have a bone shaking 428/429/460 big block based monster that looks the part but can stop, turn and get the power down.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
The problem that Ford is really having is that younger people are far less interested in cars with a soul. And frankly, the S550 doesn't even have that much of a soul, but you can bet the S650 will have even less.

I'm a millennial, but I happen to love cars and trucks and machinery. Most of my friends, and particularly those on the younger end of the millennials, want a car that looks nice and is fancy, but they want hybrid, electric, efficient, quiet, safe, etc. A manual transmission is something they would never want. And while they want a vehicle that is quick, they don't want it to be loud.
As a over the hill and gaining speed age group. Today there is no NEED for waking everyone up with loud exhaust, to get power out of an engine, like it once was. Today you can have a 400 hp + vehicle that is quite . I like the sound of a v8, So a nice rumble is ok. but today we also have the tech for an electric cut out, Allowing you to have a quiet vehicle till you want to wake the neighborhood .
Something to be said for "walk quietly but carry a big stick"

As far as the youth of today wanting a hybrid or all electric, that is because they have been told since first day of school, that i.c.e. vehicles are evil.
Today a 4 banger can get you over the speed limit on most roads in under 5 seconds. Something my generation's 4 bangers could never even dream of doing. So todays youth see no value in a big v8. as it is over kill on the public streets, and to be fair they are right.

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
Vlad hit the nail on the head. All manufacturers have put so many safety features and electronics into their cars that the young buyer who wants performance can not afford to purchase the sporty cars. Sometimes I think the auto companies don't want the performance cars affordable to young people because they are afraid the young people are not responsible enough.
Exactly. I have to wonder what a 2022 GT equipped just like my 89 LX 5.0 would cost. And would I still be interested in it. I marvel at the differences in equipment between my 89 and my '21 with the 401a package. But that stuff obviously doesn't come for free.

Sponsored

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium manual
You've made some really good points but this one falls flat. Sorry if you car doesn't do it for you but mine certainly does have a soul. So did my 2015.
It's a great car, but like all new cars it feels a bit synthetic. Electric steering with little feel, contrived cackles and pops from the exhaust, completely silent engine while coasting, electronic rev-matching during downshifts, hill-holder, stability control, etc, etc. My older Harley-Davidson, while not a performance bike by any stretch, has a lot of personality. So too does my Ford 6.0L Powerstroke pickup.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Celebrity endorsements, such as from Vaughn Gittin Jr. and Joey Lagano...

Who?

Looked up the first nobody and he claims to be "a professional Fun-Haver".

Well, there you go folks.
Hey, I'm 29yo Bullitt owner (so a Millennial they're talking about) and I've never heard those names either. Don't be tossing all of us in the same bag. :) Helps I don't have IG, TikTok and have basically all but forgotten Fcbk. Filled the "void" with many happy miles though!

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I do not think any amount of advertising, product placement or the like will help Mustang Sales. The biggest issue is for the most part an 18 year old cannot afford a new mustang. Pure and simple, it is the cost of a Mustang!
In 1990 the Mustang GT Coupe starting price was $13,986, Inflation adjusted that is only $29,742 in 2021 money. Could you imagine the number of mustangs sold if the base GT was under $30,000!!! The new GT starts at $36,285 (Ford website as of today for 2021). $6,000 does not seem like that much, but considering my first 4 cars TOTAL was $6,800 (starting around 1989). I did not spend more than $6000 on ANY car well into my 30's. Back in 1990 you were buying the Top dog performance, today for about the same price as a 1990 Mustang (inflation adjusted) you get a nice 4 banger. Which in all honesty is hands down better than a stock 1990 Fox mustang GT, BUT it is a base model.
The problem is this
1) Kids do not want to learn how to drive
2) Prices are high, no amount of advertising, or flashy options will get more teens into the dealership who can afford it.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
If auto makers made cars for 18 year old's, they'ed never sell any, because very few 18 year old's can afford a new car. Now, some can afford a used car that is 3 to 6 years old depending on what they're looking for and how much money they have.
In their mid 20's, they may be looking for a new or near new car. This is the age group the Mustang was originally targeted at. It bridged the gap between being single with a decent job to just started a family. That's why the back seat is so small. It's meant for little people.

Marty1000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Vehicle Showcase
Agree, the MACH-E vs. MACH 1 was a mistake. All the dealers that I contacted and wanted to buy Mustang Mach 1 offered me to come in and buy the MACH-E. "It is E vs. 1 that has issues with the sales teams at a dealers.

Looks to me like sports cars will soon be history. Looking back to "2011 detroit news cut (see attached) the market for sports cars has been in decline for years . Ford is an F150 company and sometimes I think the only reason we still have the mustang is because Bill Ford and Jim Farley love those cars and can afford to buy them. :cool:

muscle_car_chart.jpeg

Sponsored

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Well, Mustang faithful, I do agree that it's a concern for sure. I will admit that I'm not on every social media platform, but one those I do frequent, I rarely see any advertising for America's icon. I'm sure that Ford has partners who are mining and crunching the data and know where to place their messaging for maximum impact for different market segments, the question is are they.

Having said this, Ford also can't do this on their own. They need us. What do I mean? Next time that you're at a show, cruise or track event and you see a youngster tagging along with his or her parents, and they stop to look over your car, invite the youngster to sit in it. You want to make an impact on the younger generations? This is an excellent way. It even works on the parents as well.

I actually had a woman break down in tears when she told me about her '86 GT which she had to part with when she and her kids where checking mine out. I asked her if she like to sit in it. Her response was something like, "really, can I?" She relayed all the good times that she had spent in that car while her children obviously knowing her affinity for that vehicle, said that she would get emotional. I then ask her to push in the clutch, I threw her the keys and said, "go ahead and start it". After balling her eyes out. She shut her off, stepped out of the car and profusely thanked me for allowing her to relive her memories, if only for a minute or two. Think that had an impact on her kids?

Want to have an impact? Engage the emotions and the dollars will follow!

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Well, Mustang faithful, I do agree that it's a concern for sure. I will admit that I'm not on every social media platform, but one those I do frequent, I rarely see any advertising for America's icon. I'm sure that Ford has partners who are mining and crunching the data and know where to place their messaging for maximum impact for different market segments, the question is are they.

Having said this, Ford also can't do this on their own. They need us. What do I mean? Next time that you're at a show, cruise or track event and you see a youngster tagging along with his or her parents, and they stop to look over your car, invite the youngster to sit in it. You want to make an impact on the younger generations? This is an excellent way. It even works on the parents as well.

I actually had a woman break down in tears when she told me about her '86 GT which she had to part with when she and her kids where checking mine out. I asked her if she like to sit in it. Her response was something like, "really, can I?" She relayed all the good times that she had spent in that car while her children obviously knowing her affinity for that vehicle, said that she would get emotional. I then ask her to push in the clutch, I threw her the keys and said, "go ahead and start it". After balling her eyes out. She shut her off, stepped out of the car and profusely thanked me for allowing her to relive her memories, if only for a minute or two. Think that had an impact on her kids?

Want to have an impact? Engage the emotions and the dollars will follow!
What a nice story!

The issue I have is I don't go to car shows, also partially because it's usually pretty full of S550 Mustangs and I don't think many would find the Bullitt that unique anymore.

When I'm talking to friends and close people, lot of them don't really care about cars to ask to sit in it, etc. I've offered to even let some drive. Maybe they're intimated, I don't know, but I can definitely see enthusiasts and interest in fun driver's cars is on the decline.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Unfortunately, people have other priorities now like nearly unattainable education and housing.
I think housing and education have been a priority for a long long time. Anyone find either of these unattainable is not looking to buy a car, new or otherwise.

The host of narrcissistic vid and social channels to show off have eliminated need of nice car to show off so clothing has taken priority over cars.
National car show interest may have lessened in recent years but the local scene is still very, very active. Thousands of Mustangs at last years Mustang Week proves this out. Also clothing? What?

They are very popular as a subscription / rental though so all Ford has to do is offer rentals from dealers at reasonable price and they will make way more money than selling them.
Maybe you do not recall the "rental" Mustang, the 2015-17 V6. Plus no one needs Ford to go into the rental business. Let them stick to manufacturing cars.

Millarduck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT; 2016 Jeep GC Limited; 2014 Honda Accord Touring; former 1966 Mustang Coupe- Sprint Edition
As the Gen X parent of two Gen Z's (born 1997-2012), they show little interest in my Mustang. They both drive Toyota sedans (Camry and Corolla). I see several problems, first is Ford's lack of marketing and product placement for Mustang. No pop culture TV/streaming characters have them, i.e. Charlie's Angels Cobra II. Nobody is rapping about rolling in my 5.0 any more. Next as a parent, I would not buy my child a Mustang as a daily, especially my son-insurance costs, greater temptation to drive like a demon. It's a coupe and coupes are not practical for young people, especially young parents. The Mustang is moving up in cost compared to a Civic Si as a coupe and even Civic Si are not being bought by Gen Z's as new cars. I had a '66 Mustang in the mid-80's while in high school and college, it was a cool car but limited by its age. Still there was aura of the Mustang which has waned from my generation to the next.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Friend of mine has a 2013 Mustang GT convertible. He and his wife went to a local car show to look at the cars in the show.
Now my friend takes exceptional care of his Mustang and it looks brand new, but there is nothing really out standing about it.
As he was pulling in to park, one of the attendants directed him to park with the show cars. He said, "wait a minute, I'm not in the show, we just came to look". The attendant said, "well you're in the show now; that's a nice looking Mustang".
He said his Mustang got quite a bit of attention that day.
Sponsored