Sponsored

This car is fast, but it doesn't feel like I'm going fast.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.......active exhaust available too and when I am cruising on the highway and put it in quiet mode, it seems as if you are driving a Camry/Accord !
One other thing;

The Coyote engine is sooooo damn smooth. It's not even like a Chevy small-block that will rock the car from side-to-side. It's just sewing machine smooth, like it's not there.

So when the Active Exhaust is in Quiet mode, you really have a tough time judging the speed.

I actually like Track mode with the exhaust in quiet mode. It's makes the acceleration more startling, as there's almost no NVH accompanying it.
Sponsored

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
The Coyote engine delivers it's power and torque in a smooth, linear fashion. There's no big hit of acceleration, until you get to around 4K RPM. Below that the speed/acceleration just creeps up on you.

These cars feel remarkably slow accelerating until you're above 4K RPM.
100% this. What helps is balding tires. Then you can break loose down low and have fun. Please note, don't do this in public or around anyone. But this is probably why everyone has fun driving the brz/frs/gt86 with its Prius sized tires.

The only real way for the car to feel fast is to launch and grip at around 4k. Otherwise, it's a snooze fest until you get up in the rpms.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
the only time I have trouble keeping to set limits is 20 and 30 mph zones but other than those it's dead easy to maintain a set speed and easily at the posted limit. Sure the car drives smooth but If you can't maintain your speed, take the bus.

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
the only time I have trouble keeping to set limits is 20 and 30 mph zones but other than those it's dead easy to maintain a set speed and easily at the posted limit. Sure the car drives smooth but If you can't maintain your speed, take the bus.
What helps me is i never go past 4th unless I'm on the hwy going 70-75mph. 4th at 50mph is around 2.5k rpms. A decent spot if i need to accelerate and get over or even slow down without shifting.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I don't know what it is, but sometimes I just don't even realize i'm going 80-100mph, it feels like I'm doing 50-60mph.
Like I know I'm going fast, and I can get to 100mph+ pretty fast but it, doesn't feel like it.
Same here. I'm doing 80mph and it feels like it's 60mph.
If you really want to feel how fast your car is, have your best friend drive your car with you in the passenger seat. :like:

Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
^^^^^^This^^^^^
Until I got used to mine, I was always speeding.
Didn't have that problem in the Camaro.................:shock:
In addition to this reply from me;

I have more interest from young ladies than I did with the Camaro.

My wife thinks it's funny.. (I do as well)

I don't look 65.........

100_0975-2.jpg

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's also the aerodynamics of the car, which are extremely good. At 100-110 mph there's no out of the ordinary wind noise, no whistling from the mirrors, no hissing from the doors, no nothing. And there's no lift, no sensation whatsoever that the front is becoming lighter and the steering more vague, like there is in other cars.
Couple this with the unbelievably long MT-82 D4, which causes you to be at law-breaking speeds in second gear in the city, or in fourth on the highway (why they even bothered to fit the sixth is beyond me), and you've got the perfect speeding ticket machine.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....why they even bothered to fit the sixth is beyond me......
You'd understand if you had owned a 2011-2017 Track Pack/Performance Pack 6spd car.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, but I'm talking about the D4. It may have made sense in 2011-2017, but in the 2018+ it doesn't seem to.
Or maybe it makes sense with the 3.73 final drive ratio, but sadly we don't get that in Europe. We get the 3.55, which means that at 100 mph I'm barely beginning to think that maybe, just maybe, I could consider shifting into sixth in the near future. And at that point I'm already 20 mph over the speed limit. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Yes, but I'm talking about the D4. It may have made sense in 2011-2017, but in the 2018+ it doesn't seem to.
Or maybe it makes sense with the 3.73 final drive ratio, but sadly we don't get that in Europe.
Can confirm. Not really necessary with the 3.73. I only use it when on the highway since it's there but 5th is fine.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
That should be normal with a performance car, especially on a smooth road. These engines are designed to go fast so hovering around 50 to 60 is not going to put much strain on these motors compared to a Nissan Rogue or a Camery.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"I don't know what it is, but sometimes I just don't even realize I'm going 80-100 mph. It feels like I'm doing 50-60 mph."
OK, this is an easy one. The sensation of speed is directly related to the proximity at which you are passing something. Example: 500 mph @ 30,000' in an airliner v. 50 mph down a very narrow alley w/power poles, trees, whatever ... on both sides. The current (S550) Mustang is, w/out a doubt, the absolute best handling Mustang ever produced. It is a very comfort inducing automobile to drive @ 100+ mph. In earlier Mustangs, you always knew you were going faster just due to the sounds being made as the hp was being produced. Now you have 460+ hp & you barely know it's there. Which makes it all the more important to really learn how to drive your Mustang rather than just seeing how fast it will go. And a major part of that learning curve is understanding just how quickly things can go south when the poo hits the fan.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I think we would refer to this phenomenon as a well designed, well engineered car, taking into account all systems working in concert with one another.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I experienced this for the very first time when I had my 2016 GT at a group cruise.. we got on a highway stretch and I was attempting to keep up. I looked down and I was going 90...
I think it's one of the draw backs of the modern sports car.. it's ok when you are driving a cross over or SUV to be smooth, but with a sports car I want there to be some raw engagement at all levels. The GT350 has very little torque down low, so you have to keep the revs up in the 4k range and stay low in the gearing... it does add a bit of that raw feeling.. that and the tramlining with the wide tires really keeps me awake.. LOL>..
Sponsored