Sponsored

Thinking of going from a GTPPP to a GT350, not SRSBSNS but will autocross - input?

Rocwandrer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Anybody compare them? I'm comfortable with the level of pax competitiveness in street class from the GT. Wondering about the GT350. Several people have said I won't be able to get -2.0 front camber out of a street class 2016-2017 GT350. I have this vision of the GT350 being the same car, but better in some key ways, like more spine tingling during 3rd gear on ramps, and wider front wheels and better suspension (stock) helping with overall balance. I also have it in mind that depreciation will be less, helping some with the price difference.
Sponsored

GTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Anybody compare them? I'm comfortable with the level of pax competitiveness in street class from the GT. Wondering about the GT350. Several people have said I won't be able to get -2.0 front camber out of a street class 2016-2017 GT350. I have this vision of the GT350 being the same car, but better in some key ways, like more spine tingling during 3rd gear on ramps, and wider front wheels and better suspension (stock) helping with overall balance. I also have it in mind that depreciation will be less, helping some with the price difference.
Not sure what street class means, but I think you can get negative two degrees with camber bolts and definitely with camber plates. I currently run negative two degrees with MM camber plates.

I don’t have a point of reference for a GT in auto cross or on track so I won’t comment there.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Street class in SCCA autocrossing does not permit camber plates (at all) or camber adjustment at the strut to knuckle attachment other than grinding one hole in each strut up to (I think) 1 mm.

Norm

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Like I've mentioned on the other forum, -2.0 is very achievable in a Street class legal way. You're saying not srsbzns, but next year GT350s likely will end up in FS (with 1/LEs) obsoleting regular GTs completely. Merideths out of Detroit are somewhat campaigning '15 or '16 GT350, you may want to talk to them (not sure where you're from) - they have ties to Ford (I've talked to Jennifer about Service Advancetrac in Lincoln a month ago) - that will be a very credible source on what that car can do. Mark Daddio is obviously another one but has '19.

OP
OP

Rocwandrer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Like I've mentioned on the other forum, -2.0 is very achievable in a Street class legal way. You're saying not srsbzns, but next year GT350s likely will end up in FS (with 1/LEs) obsoleting regular GTs completely. Merideths out of Detroit are somewhat campaigning '15 or '16 GT350, you may want to talk to them (not sure where you're from) - they have ties to Ford (I've talked to Jennifer about Service Advancetrac in Lincoln a month ago) - that will be a very credible source on what that car can do. Mark Daddio is obviously another one but has '19.
Wait, what? How likely to end up in FS next year are we talking?

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Wait, what? How likely to end up in FS next year are we talking?
I'd say quite likely - there has been proposal out for a while now to drop 1/LE / GT350s to FS - look at one of the past fast tracks - and FS has been pretty much dead nationally this year. This is supposed to revive it (but will likely screw BS up).

pappagray

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2021 PP1
Pardon my ignorance if this isn’t viable, but have you considered a Mach1?

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I ran a '15 PP1 in FS for a couple of years, took some time off from autox and then got a '20 GT350 to run in BS. I cross shopped a bunch of cars in the same price/performance range and am still very happy with the GT350 decision. The biggest differences I noticed from the '15 are it has a lot less body roll and pitch/squat, the balance is better and overall grip is higher. I was one of the few running a stiffer rear swaybar on the '15 but on the GT350 I replaced the front bar but right now am running it on medium which is only a bit stiffer than the factory bar.

If you're just running for fun then get an earlier model, put camber plates on it and have a blast in CAMC. If you want to "compete" in BS - or hopefully FS next year - then you'll want a '19+ with the handling pkg to get the camber plates. You said it's not srsbsns so I say go have fun in CAMC. It'll keep up in that class just fine all stock or you can add the springs/bars/shocks and camber plates, anything you want.

Other differences in general, the car is lower and the front splitter sticks out quite a bit so you have to take steep entries at an angle. The engine music and the torque curve never ever gets old. I have more rattles in the new car than I ever did with the '15, including one behind the golvebox that I can't find anywhere but it's annoying. Every car is going to have it's thing and mine has that one. Otherwise it has been great.

The Mach 1 should also be on your list. It has more low end torque and all of the track goodies from the GT350 including the handling pkg and the Coyote is bulletproof.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
If you're just running for fun then get an earlier model, put camber plates on it and have a blast in CAMC. If you want to "compete" in BS - or hopefully FS next year - then you'll want a '19+ with the handling pkg to get the camber plates.
Current proposal BS to FS :
Mustang Shelby GT350 (2015-18) NOTE: The 2019-2020 GT350 has been left off this initial list due to the availability of the handling package and the overall rarity of those model years but is requesting member feedback on the possibility of adding those model years/option package to the proposal.

You may want to provide feedback, there is nothing rare about them (unless you're one of those owners that post about holding value next day after getting the car).

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Current proposal BS to FS :
Mustang Shelby GT350 (2015-18) NOTE: The 2019-2020 GT350 has been left off this initial list due to the availability of the handling package and the overall rarity of those model years but is requesting member feedback on the possibility of adding those model years/option package to the proposal.

You may want to provide feedback, there is nothing rare about them (unless you're one of those owners that post about holding value next day after getting the car).
Yep, I'm aware of that and wrote a letter. I made the point that the Mach1 has the same option and wasn't singled out. I spoke with an SEB member at Nationals about it and my concern has been alleviated.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Yep, I'm aware of that and wrote a letter. I made the point that the Mach1 has the same option and wasn't singled out. I spoke with an SEB member at Nationals about it and my concern has been alleviated.
Good to hear. Absolute nonsense to left those cars out.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Good to hear. Absolute nonsense to left those cars out.
We just talked about camber. Which is a significant advantage for those cars.
Street still outlaws updating/backdating right? Which means those 5% of Mustangs get to run camber plates, but no one else does.

Or are they ruling the Camber plates as "trunk kits", given they typically are NOT installed from the factory?

OP
OP

Rocwandrer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Ok, back after personal life disaster. What classes did the Gt and GT350 end up in?

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
FS

OP
OP

Rocwandrer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I looked up the relative PAX change. Looks like the pax is predicting the GT350 is only 0.54s/min quicker than the previous top car in FS, presuming it becomes the new car to have for the class. So I guess some combination of the GT in FS sucked so bad before that it didn't get that much worse, and Rick hasn't really factored in this change very well yet.
Sponsored