Sponsored

Thinking ahead to winter weather (northern climate)/rust protection

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
After two consecutive garage queen Mustangs, I decided to make number three my main car. It will kill me to drive that wonderful machine on salt treated northern roads but it’s inevitable. I really enjoy driving that car every day and I will do my best to remember that this isn’t a fragile exotic car. Ford built these things to be driven and to survive daily life...so I can keep on enjoying it straight through the winter.

Some folks recommend treating areas of the body, specifically those that might hold water, with an anti-rust agent like Fluid Film or some other oil based product. Has anyone done this? What did you use? Where did you spray?

What other prep do you reccomend? I plan/hope to keep this car for at least 6-8 years before replacing it (likely with Mustang #4) so any tips to stave off rust and winter related damage is very welcome.
Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
"Salt treated roads" :giggle:

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
There’s no catch all purpose. Just get a car wash pass and go a couple times a week. Avoid driving through puddles. Keep your distance when driving behind plows and salt trucks
If you’re really concerned and time and money isn’t a concern you could Spray a coat of linseed oil & anti rust spray.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Modern cars are remarkably well protected against rust compared to old cars, and will most likely still be rust free in 8 years even if driven daily all winter. I agree with the guy above, run it through a car was once in a while over winter, especially one that will spray underneath.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have a PP2 and t have yet to find a car wash that can fit the wide tires and low clearance. Several say that 5 is min clearance but caution me since the PP2 is 5.25".

Because of that, I have to wash my car by hand.

In the winter, I use Optimum Industried No Rinse Wash and Shine (aka ONR). I use the two bucket method and microfiber towels. I follow the Gary Dean method

https://www.detailingwiki.org/guides/garry-dean-method/

I also use warm water in the bucket and find I can keep the car free of road dirt and salt myself. When the weather is above freezing, I run a power washer under the car and use a foam cannon to wash it. I only use 1 gallon of water and 3-4 microfiber towels to wash the car and another 1-2 to dry it. I only put enough of the water in a bucket to cover the washing towels and the rest goes into a spray bottle to pre-treat the panel/ section I am washing
I have also found that Turtle wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-W...MIyfuzw8Oq6wIVDYvICh2OSAFjEAYYASABEgKa5fD_BwE

works really well and can last 6 months easily. I have even applied it to the car in sub freezing temps ( we do not go much below the teens and twenties on Long Island). I spray the car in late November or December and I can make it until Easter not needing to reapply. Water will still bead up well after that.

Sponsored

kws6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
I’ve used Rust Check ...Coat and Protect
to spray the undercarriage and
along the bottom of the doors.

This , along with washing the undercarriage
periodically, along with regular car washes
helps alot.

Prompt repair of rock chips is critical.

Too bad Ford’s pos hood is rusting.

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
I had a 2005 I drove for 170,000 miles and my 2014 I just traded in had 130,000. Both driven year round in all weather. Not a spot of rust on either. I did make sure to wash the cars regularly in winter. I live in Michigan- tons of road salt.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I had my car undercoated at the dealership in Maine as soon as it was delivered, before I even saw it. It's been through 4 winters in Maine and Canada and it's in great shape.

But, I can't help feeing a little sad when I see how dirty it gets.
46812138322_2f74072e3d_b.jpg

jchamp922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
would anybody know the gray color they use for the under carriage. Wanna touch up a spot.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
When I got the car, the garage put it on the lift to change the tires. while there I sprayed the most obvious spots with a simple, thin black undercoating.

Be careful not to cover up an drainage holes...especially on convertibles near the rear wheels.

CVCashmere
Sponsored