Sponsored

Thinking about the MMD by FOOSE Rear Spoiler ...

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Its hard to say, I ordered it in December and installed it then as well. It looked better than it does today. I don't drive the car much, it sits in my garage covered most of its life. since installation I put about 600 miles on the car. I wash it more than I drive it.

When I uncovered it a week ago, I noticed the ends were no longer touching. I opened the inside of the trunk and removed each screw, adding a rubber disc and a fender washer to spread out the pressure of the screw. The head is small and I thought it might help. It didn't.

I contacted AM, and while I typically love the products, recently they have all let me down in quality, style or overall fit. This product is NOT meant for a convertible. When I first saw it, I loved it. but truth be told its not the right fit.

When you look at a Ford spoiler, they have a red plastic clip that keeps the leading edge down, this is outside and forward of the studs that protrude into the body. This product (while also lighter) doesn't not have that feature. I attached some photos, look at the ends, you can slide three business cards in with no drag.

When I went to remove the spoiler, I places painters tape all around the spoiler, removed all the screws and went after it with fishing line. the ends weren't bonded to the surface and I was pretty easily, able to pull the line through. the spoiler popped off and It was filthy under where it had been. After only 600 miles of driving. Which also means that dirt and worse moisture could get into the trunk lid. I had thought to cover the holes with vinyl to stop (or slow down any remaining moisture that would penetrate the foam tape. The indications were that the spoiler didn't fit properly and it was not meant for the convertible.

No knock against AM for this, they are taking it back. I guarantee that the one on Chip Foose's Mustang
foose-mmd-2015-mustang-004.jpg
isn't the same. He also removed his radio antenna and in an interview said the parts were custom one-off. The antenna has already gotten caught under the spoiler once when closing the trunk, and that could cause a problem over time as well.

On a fastback, its a good fit, but not on Convertibles, its close but no cigar.
IMG_2969.jpg
IMG_2970.jpg
IMG_2972.jpg
IMG_2974.jpg
Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Its hard to say, I ordered it in December and installed it then as well. It looked better than it does today. I don't drive the car much, it sits in my garage covered most of its life. since installation I put about 600 miles on the car. I wash it more than I drive it.

When I uncovered it a week ago, I noticed the ends were no longer touching. I opened the inside of the trunk and removed each screw, adding a rubber disc and a fender washer to spread out the pressure of the screw. The head is small and I thought it might help. It didn't.

I contacted AM, and while I typically love the products, recently they have all let me down in quality, style or overall fit. This product is NOT meant for a convertible. When I first saw it, I loved it. but truth be told its not the right fit.

When you look at a Ford spoiler, they have a red plastic clip that keeps the leading edge down, this is outside and forward of the studs that protrude into the body. This product (while also lighter) doesn't not have that feature. I attached some photos, look at the ends, you can slide three business cards in with no drag.

When I went to remove the spoiler, I places painters tape all around the spoiler, removed all the screws and went after it with fishing line. the ends weren't bonded to the surface and I was pretty easily, able to pull the line through. the spoiler popped off and It was filthy under where it had been. After only 600 miles of driving. Which also means that dirt and worse moisture could get into the trunk lid. I had thought to cover the holes with vinyl to stop (or slow down any remaining moisture that would penetrate the foam tape. The indications were that the spoiler didn't fit properly and it was not meant for the convertible.

No knock against AM for this, they are taking it back. I guarantee that the one on Chip Foose's Mustang isn't the same. He also removed his radio antenna and in an interview said the parts were custom one-off.* The antenna has already gotten caught under the spoiler once when closing the trunk,** and that could cause a problem over time as well.

Jeff,
Thanks for the detailed explanation with pics. I guess it is too bad the outer mounting points are not closer to the edge of the trunk lid.

Maybe other 'vert owners have not had theirs on for three months yet. I wonder if this separation issue will appear more quickly when 'verts start seeing hot summer weather? Anyone else able to slide one or more business cards under their MMD Foose spoiler on the trunk lid near the lid's edge?

* I recall hearing Chip say that the parts on his green SEMA vert were prototypes, so they definitely were not exactly the same as production parts now available.

** I never thought of the antenna being pulled all the way down, then pinned under a spoiler! OK, that would motivate me to keep my shorty antenna on. ;)

Ha, I did not even notice the green SEMA vert had no antenna! (surprised chip did not go w/ handleless doors. :lol:) I'd love to know what he did for antenna! (any guesses :D)

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible

No knock against AM for this, they are taking it back. I guarantee that the one on Chip Foose's Mustang
foose-mmd-2015-mustang-004.jpg
isn't the same. He also removed his radio antenna and in an interview said the parts were custom one-off. The antenna has already gotten caught under the spoiler once when closing the trunk, and that could cause a problem over time as well.

IMG_2969.jpg
IMG_2970.jpg
IMG_2972.jpg
IMG_2974.jpg

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
To me the spoiler on this Chip Foose Mustang is the perfect size spoiler but I haven't seen it for sale therefore I still have don't have one on my 2019 GT. Do you know if they make this? This is the only one I would consider unless there is another one that is similar enough.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
To me the spoiler on this Chip Foose Mustang is the perfect size spoiler but I haven't seen it for sale therefore I still have don't have one on my 2019 GT. Do you know if they make this? This is the only one I would consider unless there is another one that is similar enough.
www.Americanmuscle.com, MMD by Foose

Sponsored

Xavier208

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 400a
I have one painted in Shadow black took it off to replace for same style carbon fiber one. Lmk if you're interested.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I have one painted in Shadow black took it off to replace for same style carbon fiber one. Lmk if you're interested.
Thanks but I'm not sure what I'm doing back there yet.

errwik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Conv
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has the same space in the same place... get on my nerves too but I will eventually change it out.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I honestly like the PP2 spoiler and its functionality. It does have a slight gap as well, when you pop the trunk during a detail, have to clean that area as it gets dirty.
Sponsored