Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Hey guys. Just recently got some roush axle-back exhausts w/ x-pipes on my 15 GT, and I'm contemplating on swapping them out for some h-pipes.

However, I've heard that there's a lot of drone with these. Can anyone give any feedback on this? I like the sound with the x-pipes, but it's a little bit more raspy and IMHO it seems like it's gotten less louder over the 3-4 weeks that I've had them installed. Not by much, but it's noticeable for me. Also, it would be nice to hear the pipes a bit while just cruising (some drone) instead of only taking off and slowing down. Just not sure if the swap would introduce excessive drone, etc.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

boolean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT-P
You will notice almost no difference between the two. The X will tend to reduce back flow popping (if you have ever heard an LSX motor decelerate in gear, that pop), but realistically there is little difference. If you were in the ATL area I'd say bring it by my place and I'd swap your X for my H, but I would say not huge and would keep the X.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
You will notice almost no difference between the two. The X will tend to reduce back flow popping (if you have ever heard an LSX motor decelerate in gear, that pop), but realistically there is little difference. If you were in the ATL area I'd say bring it by my place and I'd swap your X for my H, but I would say not huge and would keep the X.
Very interesting. Not much drone difference either?

boolean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT-P
Drone is resonance mostly and all 'loud' exhausts drone to some degree, it's just about where and for how wide (rpm range) does it drone for (and if you notice it based off of the acoustics and insulating properties of the cabin). Any pipe change will change the natural resonance and so it will 'move', shrink, and maybe even grow. It's the mix between the headers, X or H, and cutback that create the magic number.

Where is that tacoma bridge video when you need it? HA

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Where is that tacoma bridge video when you need it? HA
A Tacoma Narrows Bridge reference - cool! Galloping Gertie, as it was called after it twisted and fell. I live about 15 miles away from this bridge and cringe every time I drive over it (but I love the view).

I ran an X-pipe in my supercharged '07 GT. Way too raspy. I went with an H-pipe in my '14 GT (Pypes off-road H-pipe) and no rasp or drone - just a deep musclecar rumble!

Sponsored

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
A Tacoma Narrows Bridge reference - cool! Galloping Gertie, as it was called after it twisted and fell. I live about 15 miles away from this bridge and cringe every time I drive over it (but I love the view).
It is an incredible feeling crossing that bridge, especially in traffic. I never got quite used to the sway, even if it was just a smidgen.

OP, the rasp difference between the X & H is minuscule because the loudness of the ROUSH ABs will definitely make it less pronounced. The sound is still controllable dependent on how much you mash on the gas pedal.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
It is an incredible feeling crossing that bridge, especially in traffic. I never got quite used to the sway, even if it was just a smidgen.

OP, the rasp difference between the X & H is minuscule because the loudness of the ROUSH ABs will definitely make it less pronounced. The sound is still controllable dependent on how much you mash on the gas pedal.
Gotcha. But there's going to be a bit more drone though right? How come there's so many conflicting comments about H-Pipes not really making a difference vs it's going to be much more deep and a bit more drone?

96blowncobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have not heard any drone on mine. There is a huge difference between tone and wanting to smash your head in drone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

rainier446

Professional Amateur Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 OW GT/PP
Do the swap, the h-pipe has a bit more traditional musclecar sound as is possible with a 4v TiVCT motor. The idle is a bit more lopey and is not as raspy, though with the roush AB's as others have said...you probably won't notice as you'll be deaf lol

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Gotcha. But there's going to be a bit more drone though right? How come there's so many conflicting comments about H-Pipes not really making a difference vs it's going to be much more deep and a bit more drone?
Drone would be from the muffler set up and not what type of midpipe one is using. So an H delivering a lower sound isn't drone nor does it contribute to causing drone.

ROUSH ABs are drone free. They just loud as hell.

Sponsored

emh87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Premium 6MT
Here are some videos of my MBRP race catback with a H pipe
[ame]
[ame]

SNARLINGCoyote5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance package
The mbrp sound good but in my opinion I prefer borla s type sounds deeper to me .

wjlowe111

Knowledge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
white
Hey guys. Just recently got some roush axle-back exhausts w/ x-pipes on my 15 GT, and I'm contemplating on swapping them out for some h-pipes.

However, I've heard that there's a lot of drone with these. Can anyone give any feedback on this? I like the sound with the x-pipes, but it's a little bit more raspy and IMHO it seems like it's gotten less louder over the 3-4 weeks that I've had them installed. Not by much, but it's noticeable for me. Also, it would be nice to hear the pipes a bit while just cruising (some drone) instead of only taking off and slowing down. Just not sure if the swap would introduce excessive drone, etc.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I got the H pipe and love it and their is no drone..Also got the Roush axle back as well
Sponsored