Sponsored

Thinking about ditching BMR springs

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I have a PP vehicle on BMR SP080 springs. Handling is fine, I hate the rake and uneven height. The rear is considerably taller than the front.

My game plan right now is to ditch the SP080. Kelly from BMR said their springs probably aren't the way to go if I am more interested in aesthetics than performance)

Been doing LOTS of research on the stuff y'all are doing here and have a few ideas:

• Steeda Ultralite Linear springs or Swift Spec-R springs (these are linear, right? mixed messaging all over the forum) they both appear to have a similar drop and similar rates.
  • (Optional) 1/8 inch spacer in the rear to ensure I don't have a reverse rake
I want linear springs that drop the car at least an 1" on each corner ... preferably with the front being slightly lower than the rear. I want just enough rake to not be noticed at a glance.

While I am in there... I figure it might also be time to look into replacing the PP shocks and struts. In terms of my budget I am choosing between the following options:

• Steeda Pro Action non-adjustable ($599)
  • Ford Performance Mustang Track Strut and Shock Kit ($603.75 at Levittown)
Cool thing is that the Ford kit comes with top hats and whatnot so I can assemble these without disassembling my old struts. Just compress the new springs in these struts and install.

tl;dr – Are Steeda Ultralites still a good idea? Did they fix the issue with the front spring not fitting in the top mount? Ford Racing shock/strut kit vs Steeda pro action?

Here's a pic of the winter getup. I'd like to close the rear gap.
2bxSMkD.jpg
IMG_1398.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
P.M. sent - we can put you in contact with one of our suspension experts to talk through your set-up.

Best Regards,

TJ

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I can vouch for the Ford Racing shocks. They are great.

Why not even it out and buy the BMR minimum drop fronts? It is less than an inch drop but I wouldn’t recommend dropping more than inch. Less is better w this car. Less geometry change.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I really liked the drop of my Sportlines when I had them. Have you considered the Ultralite Extremes? 2" drop all around then maybe throw in a 1/4" spacer for the back for a more raked look if you want that.

And if you're getting Steeda pro-actions to go with it, get the discount code and grab the OEM mount. Saves you the "trouble" of disassembling the Ford set as soon as you get it. And honestly you might not even need the compressor (I did for my Sport linears, barely though).

Ford Mount: FR3Z-3A197-B (not needed if you get camber plates)
Ford Spring Seat: FR3Z-5A306-A

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I can vouch for the Ford Racing shocks. They are great.

Why not even it out and buy the BMR minimum drop fronts? It is less than an inch drop but I wouldn’t recommend dropping more than inch. Less is better w this car. Less geometry change.
Agreed with everything here.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you will go wrong with either of your ideas, nor others mentioned in this post, though my preference naturally leans with what I use and drive every day:

Ultralite Linears
Fixed Pro-Actions
1/4" Spacer Rear

This setup is refined, sporty, and has a hunger for performance. You won't be disappointed.
march photo of monthJPEG.jpg

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'd consider the Steeda Sport Linears. About 1" all around. Throw in the Steeda adjustable bump stops and you'll be pleased with the amount of suspension travel and overall performance when matched up with the Steeda fixed ProActions. Your PP will have just a bit of rake if you have stock tire sizes.

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The BMR min drop springs are another idea.. but then I am gonna lose height all around.

It's a teeter totter: drop the rear or raise the front.

Right now I am really happy with how low and aggressive the front looks, so my current strategy is to fix the rear.

Sponsored
OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't think you will go wrong with either of your ideas, nor others mentioned in this post, though my preference naturally leans with what I use and drive every day:

Ultralite Linears
Fixed Pro-Actions
1/4" Spacer Rear

This setup is refined, sporty, and has a hunger for performance. You won't be disappointed.
This fitment is spot on. Some of your older posts with the spacer are actually what got me thinking in that direction. I know gibbo did the same thing.

I'm pretty set on the Ultralite's... just wanna determine which damper combo will go best with it. FRP or Steeda.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The BMR min drop springs are another idea.. but then I am gonna lose height all around.

It's a teeter totter: drop the rear or raise the front.

Right now I am really happy with how low and aggressive the front looks, so my current strategy is to fix the rear.
If that's the case, I'd go with the ultralite rear with a 1/8" spacer. A good friend has ultralites all around with the 1/8" rear spacer and it looks great with the same size tires all around. It would be too low in the back without the spacer. A 3/8" to 1/2" stagger in drop is the best look, IMO. It looks balanced because of the well sizes (the above Guard car is 3/8" stagger in F/R drops). Roadway's car above has a 5/8" stagger with the 1/4" rear spacer, as the fronts are 1.125" drop and rear with the spacer is at 1/2" drop.

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If that's the case, I'd go with the ultralite rear with a 1/8" spacer. A good friend has ultralites all around with the 1/8" rear spacer and it looks great with the same size tires all around. It would be too low in the back without the spacer. A 3/8" to 1/2" stagger in drop is the best look, IMO. It looks balanced because of the well sizes (the above Guard car is 3/8" stagger in F/R drops). Roadway's car above has a 5/8" stagger with the 1/4" rear spacer, as the fronts are 1.125" drop and rear with the spacer is at 1/2" drop.
Cool. That is exactly what I was thinking of doing, so good to hear some confirmation. 1/8 ends up becoming a 1/4 difference in height.

The final question still remains: has anyone had any real-world experience with both the Ford track shocks/struts as well as the Steeda pro action ones? I've read independent reviews of both and everyone seems to be happy with them, but not sure if there has ever been a head2head.
Sponsored