Sponsored

Thinking about buying a Cold Air Intake. Suggestions?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I really can't do too many mods without voiding my warranty so I'm thinking about adding a no-tune CAI since I've already added an axle-back and X-pipe. As far as I know PMAS is the only company that makes one with the adjusted sensor so I won't need a tune? Do I have any other no-tune needed CAI options which will gain me some power? I'd assume the tune required intake are worthless without a tune?
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Plenty of others make no tune required versions. Hundreds of posts about intakes.... look around. Not only are the tune required versions worthless without a tune your car will run horribly. It's not an option.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I'd look at JLT or Steeda. Those are my two picks. I ended up going with JLT because I've always done that, and have yet to be let down. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Having said that, I'd just keep the stock intake until you get a tune. Sure, you may pick up a little hp and gain some throttle response, however I would wait till you can get a tune that takes advantage of the intake.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I'd go with the JLT over a PMAS.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. I've read around and the only one I could find that was no-tune required was PMAS. I checked out JLT's stuff but they seem to require a tune?

Sponsored

Chris796

Ford CFO
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost
Plenty of others make no tune required versions. Hundreds of posts about intakes.... look around. Not only are the tune required versions worthless without a tune your car will run horribly. It's not an option.
This x2.

All you'll get out of a no tune CAI is sound intake sound, the same thing can be achieved with a $50 Drop in filter. Spend the $ on some suspension mods or something worthwhile.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda gives you the best of both worlds - a CAI w/ restrictor that doesn't require a tune. If, down the road, you are interested in tuning ... remove the restrictor & load your tune!

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow-mustang-cold-air-intake-manual-gt-2015-555-3193/

Steeda’s ProFlow S550 Mustang GT Cold Air Intake Comparison: Restrictor without Tune
In our cold air intake dyno shoot*out between Steeda, brand ‘R' and brand ‘A,' all of which have a restrictor in place without a tune, Steeda’s S550 ProFlow Cold Air Intake dominated the competition putting down 414 rwhp and 387 ft/lb tq! This is a 22 hp and 18 ft/lb tq gain over our stock baseline dyno pull.

Dyno competitors comparison findings:
Steeda CAI with restrictor and no tune: 414 rwhp and 387 ft/lb tq
Brand ‘R' CAI with restrictor and no tune: 404 rwhp and 375 ft/lb tq
Brand ‘A' CAI with restrictor and no tune: 403 rwhp and 373 ft/lb tq

Let me know if I can help assist with with any questions or pricing assistance!

Best Regards,

TJ

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Steeda gives you the best of both worlds - a CAI w/ restrictor that doesn't require a tune. If, down the road, you are interested in tuning ... remove the restrictor & load your tune!

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow-mustang-cold-air-intake-manual-gt-2015-555-3193/

Steeda’s ProFlow S550 Mustang GT Cold Air Intake Comparison: Restrictor without Tune
In our cold air intake dyno shoot*out between Steeda, brand ‘R' and brand ‘A,' all of which have a restrictor in place without a tune, Steeda’s S550 ProFlow Cold Air Intake dominated the competition putting down 414 rwhp and 387 ft/lb tq! This is a 22 hp and 18 ft/lb tq gain over our stock baseline dyno pull.

Dyno competitors comparison findings:
Steeda CAI with restrictor and no tune: 414 rwhp and 387 ft/lb tq
Brand ‘R' CAI with restrictor and no tune: 404 rwhp and 375 ft/lb tq
Brand ‘A' CAI with restrictor and no tune: 403 rwhp and 373 ft/lb tq

Let me know if I can help assist with with any questions or pricing assistance!

Best Regards,

TJ
WOW! 22RWHP with the no-tune model?

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
If you have any plans of FI, save your money. Not saying there aren't good intake options like Steeda, JLT, etc., but none are compatible with FI. I know that I've been tempted to order a tune and intake or even headers, but then I remind myself that it doesn't fit with my end goals. Research and spend your money once, so you don't end up like one of those poor guys that's tried 15 exhaust setups to settle on oem/reso-delete.

Don't forget suspension and wheels/tires. If you want to go fast in a line, get some race stars and radials. Thinking about road/auto-x? Then go with dampers or IRS stuff. A good suspension setup will make you much faster than a 15 hp gain, and powertrain warranty will be unaffected. Just food for thought.

Sponsored

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I don't usually go with a CAI because most of the time there really is no gain, just a sound increase. I will do a drop in just so i don't have to buy a new filter every time. Just clean and go. I was at Summit Racing and on their clearance rack was an Airaid CAI for the 2015 Mustang GT. It was only $140. For that price, why not. Has a deeper sound, but I didn't feel any power increase. Last weekend I added an X-pipe and got rid of the resonator. It sounds so much better now.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
this is a great discussion, since you know, we never discussed cold air intakes before

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red
CAI without a tune is pointless.

Stlsinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I bought a pristine used Roush. Installed it today. Looks great! Deletes the sound tube. And I noticed a difference in power without a tune. Sounds better too! Can't wait to get an Nguage with a Lund tune
Sponsored