Sponsored

Think I could sell my GT?? Would there be a market?

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
You'd do better unmodding it and selling the parts and putting the car on ebay.

Reverse math.... I always figure a car to be at least worth 10% more than dealers are offering b/c

1. Dealers need/want to make a profit on your car.
2. Dealers know that you're trading in the car on another car, you're going to save the sales tax usually 7-10% (varies by location) on the trade in value.

Those 2 things means they're never going to offer you anywhere near fair market value. UNLESS they're making a killing on selling you another car. ex: if you're buying a GT350 at $10k over MSRP, they might throw you a bone and pay KBB value for your car.

My advice: put the car on ebay with a reserve price of $41k, starting bid $1. Then relist it once lowing the reserve to your real lowest reserve, that will get all of the people who were interested / watching the first time to get a little more serious.

I had the same problem with my "toy" cars. I had very low miles, garage kept, modded cars, and the dealers were trying to show me average Black Book values. Sorry, my car(s) are not average in any way.

My last 2 low miles "toy" cars:
2006 Porsche Cayman S I got $5,800 more &
2014 Mustang GT Prem Convert I got $2,500 more
than my trade offers by selling on ebay.
Sponsored

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Check out offleaseonly.com. Huge used car dealer in Central FL. They have a ton of '15/'16 Mustangs for sale. GT's with under 20K miles for $27/$28K. Secondary market is not strong for Mustangs right now......is what it is.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Cars are easier to sell stock. You make more money parting out cars than selling them outright with modification on them most of the time. Typically when buying cars with basic bolt-ons, they do not increase the value. Some would even say they decrease it. The only time you can really price a car more than it's worth on typical BB value is if it was a built car.

If you are thinking about selling it... then you most likely are going to do it. If you really wanted to keep the car you wouldn't have even considered it honestly. If you haven't even got to really enjoy the car at it's current state I wouldn't waste time, money, labor to install those parts. Just sell them outright, maybe take like 5-10% off them over the cost of what they go for on vendor sites to move them quickly.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Check out offleaseonly.com. Huge used car dealer in Central FL. They have a ton of '15/'16 Mustangs for sale. GT's with under 20K miles for $27/$28K. Secondary market is not strong for Mustangs right now......is what it is.
Yeh my 15 back in December 2014 was only $38k (sales tax/tag/title/destination/etc) out the door GT auto premium the 3.55 option and spare tire.

$40k for a used GT there is just no way. Depreciation is terrible right off the lot.

A base GT auto 16 is going for $30k, premium GT auto $33k; private party selling. And that's the high end in excellent condition. Bolt-ons add no value unless you find that 1 right person who wants them and wiling to pay for them.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Yeh my 15 back in December 2014 was only $38k (sales tax/tag/title/destination/etc) out the door GT auto premium the 3.55 option and spare tire.

$40k for a used GT there is just no way. Depreciation is terrible right off the lot.

A base GT auto 16 is going for $30k, premium GT auto $33k; private party selling. Bolt-ons add no value unless you find that 1 right person who wants them and wiling to pay for them.
Yep, -$5k for driving it off the lot... when it goes from New to Used.

Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Unless you find the exact right buyer, the mods will net you zero. May even take away from the value. I had an 18 month old C7 with Z51. The car had an ECS supercharger, Methanol injection, long tube headers, Manic triple disk clutch, and tune. The car put down 696 RWHP. I first tried to trade it for a GT. The best offer I got was 53k. I paid 63k for the car in Dec 2015. It had 1300 miles on it. I put about 20k into mods. All professionally installed by arguably the BEST Corvette shop on the east coast (ECS). Dealers told me to turn it back to stock and they'd still give me 53k.

At the time I had a friend that loved my car. After a 53k offer, I offered it to him for 60k and he bought it. After 4 weeks his wife made him trade it in as she said "We are going to die in this car". He got 52k on a trade and it sold at auction for 51k. My buddy knew the car needed Meth to go into boost but apparently he never told the dealer he sold it to. I suspect shortly after that low washer fluid light comes on (where the Meth is stored), the engine will go boom with 11 lbs of boost.

The point to this story is mod your car for you but expect to lose everything you put into it as far as mods UNLESS you find the right buyer on an enthusiast forum.

My advice is finish and enjoy it or remove any aftermarket items and sale those separately. You'll do better that way. Dealers are afraid of modified cars.

OP
OP
StoplightWarrior

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
Well, judging by these last few comments, I think it's good that I'll be keeping the car. I've always wanted to build a crazy fast car - my fastest previous was either 03 cobra making 501rwhp or 08 c6 making 426rwhp - they were very fun cars, but I sold the 03 for top dollar (found the right buyer) and sold the c6 when I got married...d'oh

Figure I'll finish this mustang with the MMR stuff and blower, then focus on suspension and a few other things. If I make the car that badass and I'm still not happy with it, then there's no hope for me anyway. LOL

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Dealer who offered me $27K for mine once had a '13 Phase 2 Roush that had the blower installed (I know sounds odd but the car was sold as a Phase 2 and owner then had blower installed) so it was basically a Phase 3 but since the blower was an add-on, no warranty for 2nd owner. Car had 1,100 miles on it and they sold it for $34K, I could not get off work fast enough to get down there before it sold. Moral of the story is you can sell anything if you price it to sell........

OP
OP
StoplightWarrior

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer who offered me $27K for mine once had a '13 Phase 2 Roush that had the blower installed (I know sounds odd but the car was sold as a Phase 2 and owner then had blower installed) so it was basically a Phase 3 but since the blower was an add-on, no warranty for 2nd owner. Car had 1,100 miles on it and they sold it for $34K, I could not get off work fast enough to get down there before it sold. Moral of the story is you can sell anything if you price it to sell........
that would have been an amazing deal :eyebulge:

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yes it was. I was on the phone with the sales guy as he was walking to the car to put a "Sold" sign in it for me and another salesman had beat him to it. I understand your frustration as I went through the same thing back in the spring. My car had been in the garage for 1 year and only 650 miles. Dealer that sold it to me actually said "cars will extra low miles don't sell well because buyers are afraid something is wrong with it".........nothing is easy.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The Roush/Ford Racing stuff is a little easier a sell. It can mostly be warrantied if installed by the dealership/certified mechanic to 3 yr/36k miles.

Not many people want to buy a car with a few thousand miles on it a year old with no warranty. You are basically buying a potential money pit if something breaks.

And a modded used car is sometimes a harder sell than OEM because face it, most modded cars were beat on. That's why they were modded.

OP
OP
StoplightWarrior

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Roush/Ford Racing stuff is a little easier a sell. It can mostly be warrantied if installed by the dealership/certified mechanic to 3 yr/36k miles.

Not many people want to buy a car with a few thousand miles on it a year old with no warranty. You are basically buying a potential money pit if something breaks.

And a modded used car is sometimes a harder sell than OEM because face it, most modded cars were beat on. That's why they were modded.
True, though I have had luck in the past selling cars that were lightly to wildly modded - just have to find the right person

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Also, keep in mind that I'm in CA, so once I do the blower I will not be able to smog the car until Procharger gets their smog cert stuff, and i'm not holding my breath on that happening.
Don't you love Commiefornia? I was thinking a Procharger too until I heard about this. You can't even get the Airaid SynthaFlow CAI and I wanted it with the Bama Tuner because it doesn't have a stupid CARB number on the intake I found out the hard way on the intake I put on my G6 a while back they failed me I had to waste money to buy a Airbox for my stock intake just to pass this year.

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
Since you asked...I am an old car guy (71) and I have always looked at these cars as a hobby. I would suggest you keep it. Forget the "I hardly drive it" and look at when you do drive it. Ask yourself, "Do I really love driving this car?" Wrenching on it is the hobby part. I worked on mine in the evenings, after work. Get the kids involved, if they show an interest. Take it and them to the local Mustang shows. And, just enjoy the people, and cars. As for the Procharger, leave it off until the certs come, if ever. Keep the car legal, drive it, enjoy it and the family together. I am retired, and still work on it, only now it can be every day. And, I still smile when I look at her as I am waxing and polishing for another club drive. Best of luck with your decision.

OP
OP
StoplightWarrior

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't you love Commiefornia? I was thinking a Procharger too until I heard about this. You can't even get the Airaid SynthaFlow CAI and I wanted it with the Bama Tuner because it doesn't have a stupid CARB number on the intake I found out the hard way on the intake I put on my G6 a while back they failed me I had to waste money to buy a Airbox for my stock intake just to pass this year.
Some things I love about this state, others are annoying. I get that we need to start thinking about the environment, but c'mon - the smog stuff is getting a little out of hand.

Ive had numerous cars that pass the SMOG sniffer test but are failed just on the visual. If the car isn't polluting more than stock, then pass me :mad:
Sponsored