Sponsored

Things you'd like to see added to this gen or in the next gen Mustang

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
I'm not crazy about the cylinder deactivation idea. I'd rather pay even a hefty gas guzzler fee over having that crap on my car.
While Cadillac's V8-6-4 was a total disaster, the cylinder deactivation that is with FCA's Hemi works pretty well. I never even notice it, back when driving my kid's car.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I would like to see that Ford commit to a manual in a Mustang for as long as it has an ICE!! If you want to endear manual drivers, this would do it. Put it in writing!

I do like the package/models that had manual only requirements like the GT350, PP2 and (before the uproar) Mach 1 HP. Gives people a reason to grab a manual. If you want certain features, you must drive a manual.

I would also like more badging for the packages. Would have been nice to have on my car PP2 or Performance Package 2 on a small plate somewhere on the car, inside or out. I paid for the options, why not showcase it? Even if all it was is that they made some aspect of the exterior unique like having all the chrome bits gunmetal and this was exclusive to the Performance Package cars, would be ok too.

I like it when a Mustang fan recognizes that my car is a manual. Real fans recognize it is a PP2. I have had so many discussions with other fans and met some great people this way. Much like everything about the mustang, badging will evoke conversation.

I would like features to be a la carte - I do not want all the extra junk just because I want something offered in a package. Of course this violates my previous desire. Making manual only packages is ... a package.

Maybe make a LX version that is more luxury. Make this the top touring version of the car with all the finer leather, interior touch ups etc.

How about offer a race version - completely stripped down to bare necessities but with track/drag options. OK, I know this is not cost effective but if you really want to go racing, make a pure race car version besides the Shelby versions. To me, they still have too many creature comforts and could use some weight loss.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The answer is vibranium. Ford just needs to make a deal with Wakanda. It would also make collisions safer. It would solve so many things. I also hear unobtainium could be another good choice.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
No, the shockwave produced in vibranium on vibranium collisions would liquefy the passengers.
Pretty sure you can turn that on an off for viewing pleasure as seen in the MCU.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
1st of all, Price reductions. A Dct trans option, a factory supercharger option for gt’s, brembos standard on all gt’s and ecoboost high performance models. Tremec replacement for all mt-82’s!
I'd like to see price reduction as well. On the face of it just saying price reduction it might seem foolish at first or like you or I am asking for too much. However, I think Mustang prices are way too high just based on how much they increased in the last 6 years. The base GT increased from $32,925 to $37,315 - 13% - in those 6 years. I doubt Ford's costs have increased by 13% in that time. If they have, Ford has made some mistakes and needs to improve. Although the cost of living has gone up 9%, which would mean a GT cost of $35,888 is similar compared to other products in cost as a $32,925 GT in 2015 dollars. However, the Mustang has not changed much in all that time, so tooling costs should have been paid for. Ford should be trying to pass those savings on to the customer. I'm ok with the Mustang being on an old chassis, but if Ford charges me as if they did a full redesign - it just makes me less interested in buying a new car.

I could see that a direct injected engine costs more to produce than a port injected engine, so now I'm talking myself into thinking that the price of a new GT isn't totally unreasonable. However, I would prefer a port injected engine anyway, so in my opinion it's an example of Ford making a change I disagree with that makes the car less desirable plus more expensive. Lose lose.

Brembos really aren't needed for street driving. The Mustang already has excellent brakes. I would love to see an option to buy the GT350 brakes and vents if you are going for road course use, though. For instance, a Mach 1 with the handling package and GT350 brakes would be a great setup.

While Cadillac's V8-6-4 was a total disaster, the cylinder deactivation that is with FCA's Hemi works pretty well. I never even notice it, back when driving my kid's car.
Cylinder deactivation is just extra complexity and more things to go wrong. And cylinder deactivation does something that I don't want the engine to do. It's not good for the rings to be sliding up and down the cylinder bore with no load on them. It causes glazing of the rings, which means they don't seal as well. So the engine won't make as much power or last as long.
Plus, I bought a V8 because I want a V8. I don't want a 4 cylinder with extra cylinders just along for the ride.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I would like features to be a la carte - I do not want all the extra junk just because I want something offered in a package. Of course this violates my previous desire. Making manual only packages is ... a package.
That would be nice.

How about offer a race version - completely stripped down to bare necessities but with track/drag options. OK, I know this is not cost effective but if you really want to go racing, make a pure race car version besides the Shelby versions. To me, they still have too many creature comforts and could use some weight loss.
That would really be nice. Nice enough that Chevy got as close as NHTSA-mandated equipment requirements would let them with the 5th gen Z28.

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

5.ooooooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O7 merc mountianeer premier
HUD and an onboard data recorder like the gm cars.

Doc2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP 2018 Explorer. 2012 Toyota Tacoma
I'm not crazy about the cylinder deactivation idea. I'd rather pay even a hefty gas guzzler fee over having that crap on my car.
I never noticed the cylinder deactivation in my Corvette and I’d bet very few would notice either. 29 mpgs in a car like a Corvette is nothing to blow off, I was impressed by the system.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
direct injected engine costs more to produce than a port injected engine, so now I'm talking myself into thinking that the price of a new GT isn't totally unreasonable.
the Mustang V8 powerplant development costs nothing. The F150 shoulders that. They sell in 2 month as many F150 as an entire year's worth of Mustangs. The 2.3EB was also LONG since paid for. And anyway the relaunched Ranger will now likely finance any further 2.3EB development should that be needed.

I expect the 2.7EB will be married up to partial electrification in the next roundup.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
the Mustang V8 powerplant development costs nothing. The F150 shoulders that. They sell in 2 month as many F150 as an entire year's worth of Mustangs. The 2.3EB was also LONG since paid for. And anyway the relaunched Ranger will now likely finance any further 2.3EB development should that be needed.

I expect the 2.7EB will be married up to partial electrification in the next roundup.
I said production costs, not development costs. But to be fair, production costs for a DI + PI engine can't be that bad compared to a PI only engine. Probably $100 each for a high volume manufacturer.

However I agree with you that powerplant development cost for the Mustang GT V8 isn't that large. There are differences from the F150 version of the V8, but only the halo Mustangs have unique engines not shared with another platform.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
I would like to see that Ford commit to a manual in a Mustang for as long as it has an ICE!! If you want to endear manual drivers, this would do it. Put it in writing!

I do like the package/models that had manual only requirements like the GT350, PP2 and (before the uproar) Mach 1 HP. Gives people a reason to grab a manual. If you want certain features, you must drive a manual.
I see on the website, one can order Adaptive Cruise Control, on a Mustang with a manual transmission. How, exactly, does that work? How does the ACC handle downshifting and upshifting, as your speed varies between 0mph and 100mph ?

I would also like more badging for the packages. Would have been nice to have on my car PP2 or Performance Package 2 on a small plate somewhere on the car, inside or out. I paid for the options, why not showcase it? Even if all it was is that they made some aspect of the exterior unique like having all the chrome bits gunmetal and this was exclusive to the Performance Package cars, would be ok too.
Is some ways I agree with you.

Though, I think of all the people who think the "CobraJet" badge is the name of the shaker ram-air scoop, and the "427" (or "5.0") badge is the size of the front fenders. :crazy:
Sponsored