'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
SUPER CRUISE™†
DRIVER-ASSISTANCE FEATURE THAT OFFERS HANDS-FREE DRIVING WITH AUTOMATIC LANE CHANGING ON COMPATIBLE ROADS

Oh great, more time for Instagram ... :facepalm:

WD :like:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
SUPER CRUISE™†
DRIVER-ASSISTANCE FEATURE THAT OFFERS HANDS-FREE DRIVING WITH AUTOMATIC LANE CHANGING ON COMPATIBLE ROADS
But will it know how to show off when leaving a Cars & Coffee meet???

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't expect anything coming from the VAG to be of lasting quality. They've proven themselves to be cheats and liars. I wouldn't be surprised if their version of a DCT was actually just a little man pulling levers.
All we really know is that VW was the one that got caught cheating on their exam. As far as DSG quality goes, I'm sure that a few ex-Fiesta and ex-Focus owners might have something to say to you . . .

I'm really not seeing where a DSG would have a whole lot of appeal in street driving. Even if you manually do all of the shift-commanding (and call that close enough to "manual shifting"), clutch operation is still fully automated and working the way somebody else programmed it to work.

Norm

Sponsored

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
I've been looking at the design elements of the Mach E recently. I like the headlights...that's about it, and even those look like they're too long in relation to the "grille". If they could bring those style of headlights to the S650, but proportion them to compliment as oppose to being the only good standout positive feature on the exterior design, I think I'd keep my interest in future Mustangs.

That said, the "progressive energy in strength" sculpture leads me to think the S650 could be an evolution in the current exterior design as opposed to a fresh new take. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind an improved or altogether better looking take on the S550 refresh (which I personally prefer over the debuting look) told through the S650. But I'm also curious (and I apologize for saying this again) what a modern take on the New Edge Mustangs would look like.

Probably why I'm not in charge of the Mustang's design in the first place. :dance:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Oh for sure, but it resulted in the biggest buyback in history. Reading through the systems and policies they had in place is astounding. They didn't just sweep an issue under the rug, they planned this. From the top down they decided that human health and safety didn't matter when they could deliver a vehicle with "best in class" cargo room while also maintaining long service intervals. It's disgusting, and they should all be put in a room and made to breathe unfiltered diesel fumes.
Actually, the VW issue was over oxides of nitrogen rather then diesel fumes per se. And it was basically discovered by accident, so it wasn't something coming out of customer complaints.

In the VW/emissions case, VW wasn't shortcutting the engineering of, or approving for production, anything that would have resulted in direct consumer backlash. If anything, the average car buyer cares more about fuel economy and/or car performance than NOx emissions, and that's what he was getting. IOW, the things he can notice on a day to day basis that are much bigger annoyances to him than his relatively tiny individual part in the big NOx picture. I'm not saying that that's the right attitude to take, only that people tend to care more about the things that bother them than they do about things they don't themselves notice.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Well aware of the specifics. I'm just not sure why it would matter whether or not the issue was discovered by consumers. It's like when radioactive materials were commonly used in everyday items like watch faces and dinner plates. Just because the consumer wasn't aware doesn't make the harm any less real, or the companies any less culpable. Not sure what you're getting at here, Norm.
This thread is supposed to be about what we as consumers would like to see in our future Mustangs, and with that in mind there's enough evidence that we should at least not be all starry-eyed about picturing the DSG as a regular production fitment for the Mustang in general. Obviously, time (and Ford's calibration) will tell as far as the GT500 is concerned.

Audi's DSG - which is apparently going away - was just the example I found from a brief search and I was content to leave the Audi reference at that. Closer to home, the Fiesta/Focus unit was another not-so-good example.

Norm

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Still waiting for a real 1LE beater. Mach 1 might beat it performance wise but will be much more expensive.

Step 1 - no limited production/limited allocation BS. Build as many as people will buy.
Starting point - Base GT PP1
Add the original base GT350 (non magride) suspension & steering hardware.
Square 19x10 or 19x10.5" wheels
GT350/Mach 1 track ready cooling (including diff and trans)
Head Up Display
Adjustable front camber (note dealer installed camber plates [like with the GT350 handling pack] are not allowed by SCCA in Stock/Street classes, it needs to be factory installed or with camber bolts called out in the factory service manual).

Note 1LE comes with magride and Recaro seats starting at $45K. But seats and suspension are likely to be changed in serious track cars, so why pay extra just to replace them.

$42K list price
Options
Magride ($1.5K)
Recaro seats ($1.5k- need lower mounts/more downward adjustment)
Track video/data system ($1K)

I guess we need it available in Premium trim as well, and with the A10.

Call it the Track Pack?

The extra 30 hp Bullet/Mach 1 engine would be a plus, but I am not willing to pay an extra $10k to get it when I can get the same thing for $2500 with the Power Pack 3.

Maybe a cost effective Drag Pack option as well for the drag oriented guys. But I have no idea what would really optimize the car for that use and not sure about the rules regarding stock(Ish) drag cars. But they obviously don't need big brakes, wide front wheels, or road course cooling and suspension. Maybe just a shorter gear option?

GT5.0Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
BMW
They definitely need to redesign the interior a bit so one has more headroom on the inside. Look at how low a Porsche 911 sits and how small it looks but yet when you sit inside it you realize how roomy it is and how much headroom you have. Last but not least realize how great visibility is. If somehow they could lower the dashboard he got as well would be great.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
They definitely need to redesign the interior a bit so one has more headroom on the inside. Look at how low a Porsche 911 sits and how small it looks but yet when you sit inside it you realize how roomy it is and how much headroom you have. Last but not least realize how great visibility is. If somehow they could lower the dashboard he got as well would be great.
I think most of us are satisfied with the amount of headroom we have and visibility is not bad at all. That said, more would be good too. But do not expect anything until 2028 at this point. The 7th gen. (S650) is going to be built on the same architecture as the current car.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
A rear spoiler as a N/C option on the convertible with the GT Performance Package.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's tough to get Porsche 911-like forward visibility when you've got tall engines to have to look over. Tougher yet under today's philosophy of having to protect the pedestrian you just hit from adding head trauma to his list of injuries.

Well, I suppose you could make the car 60 inches to the roof line and look more like a Mach E . . .

Norm

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Everybody has been wanting a HUD since 2015. Does everyone really have that much trouble knowing how fast they are going by engine sound or by just looking down at the speedometer? I am asking this as a serious question not trolling. We seemed to have made it fine for 114 years in Ford cars without them.
I used to also think HUDs were pointless. I took my GT in for service and they gave me a 2020 Escape platinum Hybrid that had a HUD. I noticed after 1 week of driving, I actually stopped looking at the dash, and my eyes never left the view from the hood-forward.

I used to think that the angle between looking ahead to the road and looking at hud vs looking at the dash wouldn't matter so much, but in my second week of driving that car, it got to the point where my mind was subconsciously switching from putting the HUD in my peripheral vision and view to the road ahead, and when I had to look at an info, I'd just look at the HUD for the info, and while it only takes a second, my peripheral vision was still looking forward.

When I got back in my GT, even with its 12" display, i wished that i had a HUD.

Do I wish I had it? If it came with my car, I'd be happy with it, but after a week back in my mustang, I am now used to not having HUD again. But I do acknowledge that it definitely Italy does cut down on your vision completely leaving the view ahead, even if is only for 0.5 sec at a time.