Sponsored

Things Are a Freaking Mess (Millennial Viewpoint) [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS & INSULTING BEHAVIOR]

Status
Not open for further replies.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
...saw a quote the other day where Ivanka thinks the average salary of
working people in the US is $800,000 dollars.

And we wonder why we have a 'do nothing' society...............................:sunglasses:
Click the link for the full article;
A Student From the Trump Family's Alma Mater Guessed the Average American Makes $800K Per Year

The University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business — attended by former president Donald Trump and his children Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump Jr. — is showing that there might be a major disconnect between the working class and what corporate America makes. Nina Strohminger, professor of Legal Studies & Business Ethics at Wharton, shared an eye-opening tweet on Wednesday that gave the results of a question posed to her students: What do they think the average American worker makes per year?

Are you ready for their answers? It seems shocking that “25% of them thought it was over six figures,” according to Strohminger’s tweet. What is particularly staggering is that “one of them thought it was $800k” for an average salary. The professor added, “Really not sure what to make of this (The real number is $45k).” There is a huge difference between making $45,000 per year and jumping into the $100,000 range or more — so how were so many of her students that off-base at one of the country’s most prestigious business schools?
Sponsored

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
This post is not directed at anyone here, and is only my experience/opinion of the past 3 years.

I own a business that employs 100 people. I’ve increased my pricing because I can’t find employees, as simple as that. I had to raise nearly every salary 10-20% to keep my current employees. I pass that onto the consumer. The government needs to stop with the free handouts/unemployment. Jobs are everywhere, unemployment should be zero.
I’m heavily involved in daily operations and have been for 22 years. I’ve seen anything and everything. There are good people, and there are shit-birds. There have been a lot more shit-bird types ever since our cities started burning.
The good people make a lot more $$ than shit-birds.

@FreePenguin s post about Reddit and all these lazy shit-birds trying to screw everyone over is what this country has become for 51% (but really more like 40%) of the people. They simply don’t want to work, and expect to be rewarded the same as the hard working person, and they look upon a hard working person like it’s a negative. It’s an absolute bullshit clownworld. This Country was founded on freedom and working to achieve the American dream. Some parents don’t teach their children this. Shouldn’t be my problem, but it is.
For years I’ve been grooming my 14yr old and 9yr old on how to work hard and constantly talk about what type of business they’re going to own.
I pulled them out of public school and put them in private school so the system would stop teaching them that a God loving, hard working, successful family isn’t some evil racist negative.

I’ve seen many hard working individuals use Covid as an excellent tool to better themselves. Many of which I surround myself with as smart friends, and many employees I’ve promoted because they decided to shine when others chose not to.

Laziness is the biggest factor in all of my employees that have decided to not better themselves. I have refused to be lazy. Covid hit, most people sat at home and gained weight. I lost 40 lbs.
I decided with the extra time I had, I’d start CrossFit - 1hr a day 6 days a week. At the start of covid my fastest mile was 8:00,
2 years later on my 40th bday I did a 5:50. Start couldn’t do 1 pull-up, now, I can do 100 well under 10 minutes. Ran a minimum of 10 miles a week. F laziness, it will literally kill you.

This life is what YOU make of it. For those that blame others, you are the only person responsible for the outcome of your life. If you don’t like it, you have full control to change it. Don’t make excuses, just get it done. Life has never been easy, and it most likely won’t get any easier.
My wife was laid off a year back. She got incredibly tired of applying day after day for position after position, and getting rejected. I pushed her to not give up. She found a position that would pay her 30% more than she was making, and gave her the exact schedule she wanted, and even 6 weeks paid off a year vs the 4 she had prior.
She doesn’t need to work because we are financially set, but she actually wants to so she feels like she’s accomplishing something every day (our kids are in school every day so no need for her to stay at home).

Watch some David Goggins videos. That’s what did it for me, and I turned them onto my business partner - that went from 5’8” and 330 lbs down to 180 lbs in 1 covid year. He’s now incredibly active with his young family and beyond successful for his age (early 30’s). He refuses to be lazy.

To anyone not happy, change your situation.

That's a solid A+ for someone in your situation. Bravo to you, but you also have to remember not everyone had that luxury.

I went from working 46hr/wk to 70hr/wk during Vid (lost 23lb) to keep up with the demand of the freight logistics nightmare. It just recently has started to relax. The trucking industry (not me) is another topic all together. I'm running up on 39 yr with this same company and its time to boogie. Thinking of starting a mowing biz to stay busy in retirement and support my hobby.

BTW, corporate America will never make you wealthy regardless of your shit bird status. I get raises when I'm told I will and not until. (blanket corp policy) Yep, the decision to stay in that environment is solidly on me and me alone. I own that. I just followed in the footsteps of my father and his father who grew up in the "IBM" era ... corporate employment, regular raises and a comfortable pension. I blame my Dad for my stunted economical growth (jk).

I think what you're doing with your kids is noble and pretty common for someone in your situation. Its easy to teach what you yourself have learned through experience. That's an incredible gift that will repay them for a lifetime.

Life is essentially a string of decisions ... some good, some bad. Its what you do with those that determine the outcome of your life.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
That's a solid A+ for someone in your situation. Bravo to you, but you also have to remember not everyone had that luxury.

I went from working 46hr/wk to 70hr/wk during Vid (lost 23lb) to keep up with the demand of the freight logistics nightmare. It just recently has started to relax. The trucking industry (not me) is another topic all together. I'm running up on 39 yr with this same company and its time to boogie. Thinking of starting a mowing biz to stay busy in retirement and support my hobby.

BTW, corporate America will never make you wealthy regardless of your shit bird status. I get raises when I'm told I will and not until. (blanket corp policy) Yep, the decision to stay in that environment is solidly on me and me alone. I own that. I just followed in the footsteps of my father and his father who grew up in the "IBM" era ... corporate employment, regular raises and a comfortable pension. I blame my Dad for my stunted economical growth (jk).

I think what you're doing with your kids is noble and pretty common for someone in your situation. Its easy to teach what you yourself have learned through experience. That's an incredible gift that will repay them for a lifetime.

Life is essentially a string of decisions ... some good, some bad. Its what you do with those that determine the outcome of your life.
What luxury are you referring to that I had? LOL!! 😆
I was 17 years old 24 years ago, skipping high school to go to work and make money in a warehouse in the evening. That was my 2nd job, when I was 15-17 I washed dishes and cooked chicken for Izzy’s pizza. I worked my ass off in dishes and the manager offered to pay me double what the normal dishwasher pay was ($3.95hr back then, she offered me $8.00hr) -I declined, because I was young and dumb - and moved to chicken cook for $4.75….(and didn’t want to stink like dirty dishes with gross wet feet - back then banging chicks was important, and smelling like ass didn’t get you anywhere) The company I own now, is literally freight/logistics - I have 40 trucks and over 300,000 sq ft of buildings, so I 100% understand what you’ve gone through the past 3 years if you’re in the industry. The company I now own, I started at 22 years ago making $10.00 hr.
Don’t knock the Corporate America gig, because it can pay off. You just have to work hard and make yourself valuable, almost irreplaceable - like you’re one in a million. While at the same time walking the very fine line, realizing…that even though you may be one in a million, you’re still replaceable.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Not a conspiracy theory guy, but looking at Global GOV trends, and reactions from mostly Western GOV's and you can't help but wonder if the "Great reset" people arent on to something.

To the OP: Time was that a College Education was the entry point to 80% of what could become a career with long term stability, home ownership, retirement, etc. My generation understood that it takes 10-15 years to get there. Younger generations want what took us 10-15 years over night.

My generation also over emphasized a 4 year college degree as the best and only path to a solid career, and thus the trades have suffered. Could also be all the dumb 'liberal arts' degrees like gender studies and nonsense, rather than hard science, tech, management, business, etc.

You are spot on that people live WAY above their means, mostly on credit and chasing happiness with things.

We also have all too often detached from each other and real relationships, community, and live in a virtual 'meta' world of nonsense to the point that the social sewer virtual world of Twitter is used by virtually every government and major corporation. It is utter nonsense.

At 38 I made a major career change, same 'field' different setting. Took 8 years to break even on pay but I LOVED what I was doing. 20 years later, I am 2 years from retirement, will have 3 homes paid for, 2 as rentals/VRBO thing to pay taxes & upkeep, all cars paid for, a lifetime pension with full medical. I'll retire at 60 and will never work for a living again. But I didn't start here, took 40 years to get here counting college (and 3 Masters along the way).

Slow down, love your neighbor and family, work hard, save first, live within your means. Patience, Plan, work, and do good for others. It comes back around, and Your path is YOUR path, make it happen, don't wait, expect, or hope someone is going to give you an easy path or leg up.

But as you say, the current situation is untenable, can't help but think it is by design. The gas/energy prices certainly are. NO ONE is going to argue that we dont need to move towards cleaner and more efficient but this ideological religious fanatic green new deal forced pain to push people to EV's is misguided, and idiotic. Thankfully, we have a vote (well as long as we dont have 50% mail in ballots)...... OK, OK, I'll stop poking the bear ;-)

Last edited:

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Not a conspiracy theory guy, but looking at Global GOV trends, and reactions from mostly Western GOV's and you can't help but wonder if the "Great reset" people arent on to something.

To the OP: Time was that a College Education was the entry point to 80% of what could become a career with long term stability, home ownership, retirement, etc. My generation understood that it takes 10-15 years to get there. Younger generations want what took us 10-15 years over night.

My generation also over emphasized a 4 year college degree as the best and only path to a solid career, and thus the trades have suffered. Could also be all the dumb 'liberal arts' degrees like gender studies and nonsense, rather than hard science, tech, management, business, etc.

You are spot on that people live WAY above their means, mostly on credit and chasing happiness with things.

We also have all too often detached from each other and real relationships, community, and live in a virtual 'meta' world of nonsense to the point that the social sewer virtual world of Twitter is used by virtually every government and major corporation. It is utter nonsense.

At 38 I made a major career change, same 'field' different setting. Took 8 years to break even on pay but I LOVED what I was doing. 20 years later, I am 2 years from retirement, will have 3 homes paid for, 2 as rentals/VRBO thing to pay taxes & upkeep, all cars paid for, a lifetime pension with full medical. I'll retire at 60 and will never work for a living again. But I didn't start here, took 40 years to get here counting college (and 3 Masters along the way).

Slow down, love your neighbor and family, work hard, save first, live within your means. Patience, Plan, work, and do good for others. It comes back around, and Your path is YOUR path, make it happen, don't wait, expect, or hope someone is going to give you an easy path or leg up.

But as you say, the current situation is untenable, can't help but think it is by design. The gas/energy prices certainly are. NO ONE is going to argue that we need to move towards cleaner and more efficient but this ideological religious fanatic green new deal forced pain to push people to EV's is misguided, and idiotic. Thankfully, we have a vote (well as long as we dont have 50% mail in ballots)...... OK, OK, I'll stop poking the bear ;-)
Hello; I did most of the things you mention including being a saver. Just as back in 2008 the housing crash changed the time honored notion of housing always being a positive, saving is become somewhat ruined.
First the near zero percent interest rates for over a decade reduced life savings interest income to a trickle. That drove many into stocks and away from simple savings and most bonds. People wanted some mechanism to grow investment income and the stock market was about all there was.

There was all along some inflation coupled with the near zero interest rates. Now inflation is very high. I started my first job after graduating from college in 1970. Nixon put into place a price and wage freeze. Inflation was bad back then. I struggled for a long time.

After the fed raised basis points recently I talked to the bank where i have most of my savings. After several weeks they never did raise the interest rates on available CD's and other instruments. No changes at all. Back a year or few I was talked into keeping a money market account which is linked to the fed rates. It had gotten down to near no return. With the recent bump up of the fed rates my monthly interest income is up. Not anywhere near inflation rates, but up. I am not comfortable with stock market risks so will live with it.
( Note- the money market accounts can no longer be had so if i had dropped it I could not get it back now. )

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The area I am in is literally unobtainable for me to purchase a home. I'm a first time home buyer, so even if I found a place that qualified for an FHA loan, I can't compete with cash buyers that are paying way over asking price.
Your problem was waiting to buy a house till now. I too graduated in 08, but made it a priority to buy a house after college so I did just that well before the craze. Now I'm up 100% in home value.

I have buddies from college who prioritized partying and getting smashed every weekend even in their 30s who are now, like you, paying insane rent prices and not being able to afford a house.

Blame a lack of planning not the economy.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Geico must pay $5.2 million to woman who got HPV from sex in man's insured car, court rules (msn.com)

Hello; In the spirit of this thread I submit the above. I do not quite understand how this works. Seems some folks had sex in a car and one caught a virus. How this gets back to the insurance company is the part I do not understand.
This seems likely to open up insurance companies for any number of new liabilities. What will that do to my premiums?
The world has gone insane! But I’m sure this will be overturned on appeal. The judge must have too many points on his license. :giggle:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The world has gone insane! But I’m sure this will be overturned on appeal. The judge must have too many points on his license. :giggle:
Hello; I do hope this is overturned. The black van in my avatar started out as a work van when i was doing carpet installation on the side. I converted it to a semi camper van. Gone are those days

Sponsored

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
What did you go to school for? Current job(description, not company)? I’m a little older(53), and one of the hardest things in life to learn is to to turn off and ignore the noise. And just get down to focusing on making and enjoying the life you have.
I agree....!!!! Focus on the things you can control and surround yourself with good people/friends.

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Aside from the bike path story, I would advise the OP that this present economic situation here in the states will likely get much worse in the months ahead.
The fall of petro dollar, loss of the world reserve currency (possible), high inflation, political unrest, supply shortages, as well as bubbles - both real estate and the market. I'm telling ya, things are not rosy in the USA. Remember 2007 Lehman Bros? Anyone see the movie the Inside Job? The government will never tell you when things are about to go south.

I know people think things will just correct themselves post covid, and we'll get back to "normal" any time now, but they've always lived in a debt based world where credit was easy and everyone lived outside their means. Just see what happens as that all changes.

I hope I'm wrong, but I've put off all nonessential purchases, unplugged the TV years ago, bought physical metals, limited my exposure on wall street and maintain only social media that gives me joy(hey, I'm here right?).

I think as rates rise, consumer demand for both homes and cars will fall off ... how much and how long it will take is anyone's guess.

The next 2 years should be very telling.
You are spot on. Things are gonna get worse before they get better. For those that are interested it what that means and what Saleen367 is eluding to... the information is out there and not hard to find. Just filter through the conspiracy and false flags....

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
A Student From the Trump Family's Alma Mater Guessed the Average American Makes $800K Per Year

The University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business — attended by former president Donald Trump and his children Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump Jr. — is showing that there might be a major disconnect between the working class and what corporate America makes. Nina Strohminger, professor of Legal Studies & Business Ethics at Wharton, shared an eye-opening tweet on Wednesday that gave the results of a question posed to her students: What do they think the average American worker makes per year?

Are you ready for their answers? It seems shocking that “25% of them thought it was over six figures,” according to Strohminger’s tweet. What is particularly staggering is that “one of them thought it was $800k” for an average salary. The professor added, “Really not sure what to make of this (The real number is $45k).” There is a huge difference between making $45,000 per year and jumping into the $100,000 range or more — so how were so many of her students that off-base at one of the country’s most prestigious business schools?
Almost all elites don't know what the average person makes, pays and lives with day to day. And these are the fucks that average people vote for.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Almost all elites don't know what the average person makes, pays and lives with day to day. And these are the fucks that average people vote for.
To be fair his family members are probably from California where all millionaires so that answer doesn’t surprise me much

mkcotton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1

Replace the Wharton School of Business with Harvard, Yale, Princeton, any Ivy league school and the results are the same. I see a little Kevin Bacon going on here... I know this guy, who's married to this woman that knows someone that worked with someone that was on the phone with someone that knows someone that went to the same class that DJT talked about 20 yrs ago. I love articles like this... the headline is meant to grab the attention of a low IQ dope.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.