Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I think a HUMONGOUS problem is video games (shooting, driving) that shape or alter kids' perception of reality.
Nobody really dies, just hit "reset" and start again.
There you go folks. Just retarded "on the spectrum" people driving badly because of video games.

/thread
Sponsored

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
The problem is allowing younger newer drivers with poor decision making skills, too much testosterone, peer pressure etc. driving high performance vehicles. It's just a bad idea period. They almost all will take very risky behavior with the car and some will get away with it and live to tell the tale, others will not.

This is coming from someone who drove 5.0L fox bodies since the age of 18. I'm one of those who lived to tell the tale. I cut between transport trucks at >120mph. I did top speed runs (near 140mph) I street raced. In fact I pretty much raced anyone and anything that would pull beside me. My friends usually urging me on. I didn't crash into anyone. I didn't get caught (much). It wasn't until I hit around 25 when I started to have the fear a little. Fear of being caught by law enforcement and also fear of getting hurt. I had a few friends by that time that were in wheelchairs from car accidents/motorcycle accidents and even a friend who was pretty much a vegetable.

Those were 14 second cars. Now we give 17 year olds <12 second cars and they are doing the same thing with more devastating consequences. The kids in my area are all driving BMWs, Audis, Mercedes, Chargers, Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. The local high school parking lot is full of them. That's way too much performance for a teen.

My 2 cents anyways. There is something to be said for the classification of car and different age/license requirements.

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Well, this thread went over-the-top. Jumped the shark.

It's a very touchy subject, but we should all acknowledge that driving and drivers are safer today than they have ever been. Road fatalities keep dropping lower and lower.

So, yes, that accident sucked. But it happens, and it's not going to be stopped.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
The problem is allowing younger newer drivers with poor decision making skills, too much testosterone, peer pressure etc. driving high performance vehicles. It's just a bad idea period. They almost all will take very risky behavior with the car and some will get away with it and live to tell the tale, others will not.

This is coming from someone who drive 5.0L fox bodies since the age of 18. I'm one of those who lived to tell the tale. I cut between transport trucks at >120mph. I did top speed runs (near 140mph) I street raced. In fact I pretty much raced anyone and anything that would pull beside me. My friends usually urging me on. I didn't crash into anyone. I didn't get caught (much). It wasn't until I hit around 25 when I started to have the fear a little. Fear of being caught by law enforcement and also fear of getting hurt. I had a few friends by that time that were in wheelchairs from car accidents/motorcycle accidents and even a friend who was pretty much a vegetable.

Those were 14 second cars. Now we give 17 year olds <12 second cars and they are doing the same thing with more devastating consequences. The kids in my area are all driving BMWs, Audis, Mercedes, Chargers, Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. The local high school parking lot is full of them. That's way too much performance for a teen.

My 2 cents anyways. There is something to be said for the classification of car and different age/license requirements.
I think there is something to be said for this idea, limiting the class of vehicle until you 1) Have a some reasonable minimum number of years of safe driving experience and 2) Passing some sort of course in advanced driving techniques.

With today’s tech, this could even be enforced with some sort of performance limiting nannies controlled by the drivers key.

Sponsored

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
Well, this thread went over-the-top. Jumped the shark.

It's a very touchy subject, but we should all acknowledge that driving and drivers are safer today than they have ever been. Road fatalities keep dropping lower and lower.

So, yes, that accident sucked. But it happens, and it's not going to be stopped.
Just to prove the point that opinions are like a certain body part, everyone has one... I'm not sure it's that drivers are so much better but that cars are so much safer. (Edit: just re-read your comment and you're probably saying the same thing as me. But the video is pretty remarkable nonetheless.)

Last edited:

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Some thoughts, and I'm not trying to be confrontational at all.

Agreed, it doesn't matter if it was from street racing.

Do you disagree with speed limits overall, or just a 75 MPH max? For example, 20 MPH in a school zone or 25MPH in a residential zone? If it's just the maximum speed that you don't like, where would you propose that faster speeds be allowed, and how fast? I'm not sure about this one myself. Germany has the autobahn, but it's also engineered for high speeds. Do our roads qualify? I don't want to drive 150MPH only to come across a section of the freeway that's been poorly built and maintained, and I lose control. The argument would be, make roads private and they'll be engineered appropriately, which I agree with. But that would entail a wholesale change in our society that we're unlikely to see. As things are, I like speed limits because most people really are horrible drivers even at slower speeds.

I agree that kids do stupid things. I did stupid things for sure. But I also know that I did stupider things in my '70 Cutlass with a V8 and (250 HP?) than I did in my '67 Dodge Dart with a slant-6 and 115 HP. For me, at least, driving a car with more power produces a rush that's hard to deny sometimes, even at age 56. Give me a Mustang GT when I was a teenager, and I would have killed myself in it for sure.

I suppose all I'm saying is, giving a kid a car with 460HP might not be the smartest thing to do. At least, not without a bunch of training and without a good assessment of the kid's maturity level. I wouldn't have given my kids firearms, either, without making sure they were mature enough to handle them and provided with sufficient training.
The speed limit thing was to make a point. nothing more.
again sad deal. praying for the families and those in hospital make it. Throw the book at the driver that cause it.
I'd wish this on no one.
But this could have happened if they were driving a camry. but because they happened to be in a pony car the media whips it up and even those that are here only because of the model vehicle. When it is a moron in a family car or a suv speeding down a road the wrong way, no one makes comments on it being racing or, (fill in the blank) and you tube is full of dash cam video of drivers going down the road the wrong way. . None of it better of worse that another, but the media get all giddy when it involves a sporty vehicle . Sorry I have a problem with that type of reporting. It does no one any favors. and blurs the truth.

Jhonda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
Doug Herbert founded BRAKES — which stands for Be Responsible And Keep Everyone Safe. It’s FREE for any teen to take his course. His sons were killed in a car crash. Terrible story but he is the man for setting up this free program. I think they have a skid car but it’s been awhile since I looked into it.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
almost all traffic fatalities involve one of 2 things:

1. intoxication
2. no seatbelt

if both cars were doing 75 in a 75 the kid wasn't even speeding, he was just going the wrong way.
150mph impact is easily achievable on a highway.

this kid's parents taught him to be a boy instead of a man, handed him the keys to a missle, and let him go get hammered with his buddies.

weakness kills.
You're confused on the details.

The kid was going 150MPH on the wrong side of the road. The other vehicle was probably turning at the intersection, going slowly. The area has a 55MPH speed limit.

Last edited:

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
You're confused.

The kid was going 150MPH on the wrong side of the road. The other vehicle was parked. The area looks like a 45MPH-55MPH speed limit area.
The way people were talking made it sound like he hit someone head on just cause he was drunk goin the wrong way.

So homie was wasted, going for a top speed run, and on the wrong side of the road.

Rope, tree, problem solved.

Sponsored

luke1333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sierra

This is coming from someone who drive 5.0L fox bodies since the age of 18. I'm one of those who lived to tell the tale. I cut between transport trucks at >120mph. I did top speed runs (near 140mph) I street raced. In fact I pretty much raced anyone and anything that would pull beside me. My friends usually urging me on. I didn't crash into anyone. I didn't get caught (much). It wasn't until I hit around 25 when I started to have the fear a little. Fear of being caught by law enforcement and also fear of getting hurt. I had a few friends by that time that were in wheelchairs from car accidents/motorcycle accidents and even a friend who was pretty much a vegetable.

I agree on all points. Very similar for me, I grew up with new edges and s197s far from the power of the modern cars now and did the same things you did. We were usually smart about doing it middle of night no traffic but still always wondered if you lost control at 140 or a deer ran out etc.

Also remember these kids have electric vehicles (mainly Tesla) now too that have instant power. In our area I have seen more deadly crashes over the past few years involving high schoolers crashing Teslas more then anything else.

As much as I hate government intervention I have always thought different licenses would be a good thing. Whether you are 16 year old driving 500 hp car or a celeb driving a 1000 hp car which neither one can probably handle it but we all know that will never happen.

This is just another friendly reminder of precious life is and to always be careful

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Careful what you wish for. Giving more power in terms of regulation rarely has good outcomes for us. I agree that our driving school situation is woeful but I do not think that restricting horsepower by age is a good idea. I mean how many cars are you going to buy?

Education should never stop. And driving is one class that will ALWAYS be challenging no matter what your skill level is. The only thing better than 500HP is 600HP. Never restrict what we can own as long as we are paying for it.

luke1333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sierra
Careful what you wish for. Giving more power in terms of regulation rarely has good outcomes for us. I agree that our driving school situation is woeful but I do not think that restricting horsepower by age is a good idea. I mean how many cars are you going to buy?

Education should never stop. And driving is one class that will ALWAYS be challenging no matter what your skill level is. The only thing better than 500HP is 600HP. Never restrict what we can own as long as we are paying for it.
I agree regulation rarely works and I won't say a horsepower limit but a skill level. Just like I don't believe the vast majority of 80/90 year olds should be driving either. As long as you can tell which way the light flashes and hear a beep you get your license here in Ohio. Would love to see a 90 year old have to make an evasion maneuver at 65 mph on freeway to avoid a crash. Bet it wouldn't happen. Whos to say a 16 year old is any better though 🤷‍♀️

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
I agree regulation rarely works and I won't say a horsepower limit but a skill level. Just like I don't believe the vast majority of 80/90 year olds should be driving either. As long as you can tell which way the light flashes and hear a beep you get your license here in Ohio. Would love to see a 90 year old have to make an evasion maneuver at 65 mph on freeway to avoid a crash. Bet it wouldn't happen. Whos to say a 16 year old is any better though 🤷‍♀️
there's actually good evidence to suggest that more regulation actually kills people.
look up the "montana paradox". there were plenty of rules this kid broke. reckless driving, DUI, speeding, failure to stop, etc but none of that matters because rules don't stop anyone... only virtue can do that.

16 years old is plenty if the culture teaches the value of human life and responsibility of the individual. this is just another symptom of a crappy culture problem.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I concur, we all did stupid crap as teenagers. Heck, some of us (adult aged) still do stupid crap.

Absolutely send your kids to Street Survival events. I did that with one of mine and his driving is just worlds better than the other (he had too many other obligations).
Sponsored