The ULTIMATE MyColor Complete Swap Thread

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Howdy Folks!

Perusing thru all of our various tech threads lead me to realize the scattered nature of our information. I felt it was imperative we collectively organize the information we could ALL use when considering doing a MyColor swap. I can't thank all of you enough for your hard work and diligence in helping the community pierce the veil and modify our cars to our liking.

So without further ado, here's the main components of MyColor:

Cluster
Sill plates
Performance Pack Gauges (if you have them)
Center Console Cup Holder

Now the fortunate side is that the only part required within this swap is the cluster. The pieces that illuminate (cupholder etc) but aren't lit in the base cars are option as they can be added as you find them. The even more fortunate note to that is the wiring is in place so all it takes is purchasing and installing.

The base functionality of the MyColor system runs thru the BCM-B (Body Control Module B). I would recommend you tackle this first as it has the steepest learning curve. You will require an OBDLink (or have someone program it) capable of using ELM327 and ForScan in order to turn the MyColor function on. This can be achieved pretty easily by utilizing this thread:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61773

Now once you're in and fully immersed, you will want to modify the BCM-B code to the following:

From this: 7B7-01-1 as 0040 0000 00
To This: 7B7-01-1 as 0042 0000 02
This will active the MyColor functionality and turn on the circuits involved. At this point, if you simply plug in the sill plates and console light, they will default to the white/blue. I would recommend going ahead and installing those components at this point anyway.

Now that you've got the BCM-B working and your console/sill plates installed, the last main component is the part that controls the color.

Thanks to the gentlemen/women in the following thread, we've discovered the use of white only LED's in the stock base clusters. This prohibits the cluster from changing colors and thus the affiliated parts. You'll want to follow this thread pretty closely. But if you want a short cut, use the quote below as a guide to finding a cluster:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1588071

So auto premiums would be part # FR3Z-10849-EA while premium MT would be FR3Z-10849-GA. (same for non-PP & PP)

[MENTION=22823]X0AYHAM0X[/MENTION] also put in a ton of work and from what I know had the first functioning MyColor swap with multi color. So many thanks to him.

Now, the caveat and the current unanswered question is the correction of mileage. There are companies available to reprogram your cluster to your current mileage which would effectively make this a moot point. However, without this you will struggle to match your mileage and maintain functionality.

With the cluster swap, you will gain the RGB/MyColor ability as well as whatever options came on the cluster purchased originally. These can be disabled thru ForScan with the OBDLink you purchased prior. My suggestion is to download your As-Built Data and also download the As-Built of a car similar to yours (but premium) so that way you can compare the functions that are effectively "on" now. You'll need to work thru what you see working that you didn't have before, and adjust. It will take a little bit of time but can be accomplished with all of the tools in here.

I'm currently collecting my parts and tools to do the complete swap myself and will follow this post up with a complete install. I'm looking forward to further contributions by everyone and again, can't thank all those involved enough for stepping out and figuring this out. This thread (I hope) will be an ever evolving How-To and Information guide collection that I will maintain. If you have anything to contribute, please do so!

-Steven
Sponsored

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Just an FYI, [MENTION=20157]tazor[/MENTION] bought his cluster from the following eBay seller, his cluster came with 58.7 miles on it. Basically brand new, no scratches. Ironically, his was plug & play with no FORscan programming of the IPC was needed, so YMMV.

If IPC programming is needed, it is to disable BLIS, CTA, and Parking / Perimeter sensors. Adding to what has been stated above, one can just write over the premium as-build data with your base as-build data or edit the following lines:

Okay, so I did a little bit of playing around with some as-built values this afternoon, mainly the IPC, and found a couple of things that could be helpful for those that are considering adding modules to the car.

720-01-01 xxxx xxxx 6xxx - Cross Traffic Alert disabled in IPC
720-01-01 xxxx xxxx 7xxx - Cross Traffic Alert enabled in IPC

720-01-02 xxx3 xxxx - Easy Entry/Exit disabled in IPC
720-01-02 xxxB xxxx - Easy Entry/Exit enabled in IPC

720-02-02 08xx xxxx - Rear Park Aid disabled in IPC
720-02-02 1Axx xxxx - Rear Park Aid enabled in IPC

720-03-01 2xxx xxxx xxxx - Blindspot disabled in IPC
720-03-01 6xxx xxxx xxxx - Blindspot enabled in IPC
Seller has a couple more units on auction. Offer up a price, he just might accept it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2015-20...507318?hash=item2a76d83536:g:JZYAAOSwo4pYScz2 (6MT)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2015-20...512342?hash=item2a76d848d6:g:THkAAOSwB09YSc4r (A6)

EDIT: BTW, part number on my premium cluster is FR33-10849-GF (Off a 2015 6MT Premium EB Conv)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Agent_S550

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Just an FYI.. [MENTION=20157]tazor[/MENTION] bought his cluster from the following eBay seller, his cluster came with 58.7 miles on it. Basically brand new, no scratches. Ironically, his was plug & play with no FORscan programming needed, YMMV.

Seller has a couple more units on auction. Offer up a price, he just might accept it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2015-20...507318?hash=item2a76d83536:g:JZYAAOSwo4pYScz2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2015-20...512342?hash=item2a76d848d6:g:THkAAOSwB09YSc4r

BTW, part number on my premium cluster is FR33-10849-GF (6MT)
Doesn't look like he has a make an offer slot?

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Doesn't look like he has a make an offer slot?
Just email him. ;)

BTW, I heard the door sills need to be spliced in for power, is that still correct or do our cars (base GTPP here as well) have the plugs?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Agent_S550

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Just email him. ;)

BTW, I heard the door sills need to be spliced in for power, is that still correct or do our cars (base GTPP here as well) have the plugs?
We supposedly have it from every instance I could find of anyone putting them on non-MyColor cars.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
We supposedly have it from every instance I could find of anyone putting them on non-MyColor cars.
Dang...I reckon I should've checked when I had the drivers side sill off... :frusty:

Good to know for the future... :cheers:

OP
OP
Agent_S550

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Dang...I reckon I should've checked when I had the drivers side sill off... :frusty:

Good to know for the future... :cheers:
I have a set of take-off sills on the way right now. 74 bucks shipped for the pair. They are on ebay. Check them out.

The hardest part to find thats not 200+ is the console cup holder.

Also, just made a deal for the GG cluster.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Now once you're in and fully immersed, you will want to modify the BCM-B code to the following:
From this: 7B7-01-1 as 0040 0000 00
To This: 7B7-01-1 as 0042 0000 02
Tried to write the above code and I got a configuration error message...in which [MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION] had speculated before on the MyColor hack thread that a BCM off a premium is probably needed.

The premium cluster has an ambient setting, mine is turned off ATM. Exit & entry lighting (Blue/Green) is also disabled on my car. Enabling it givers me a non-DTC error message.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
To do a compete swap, you also need the door handle And footwell LEDs, which can't be purchased separately since they are part of the wiring harness. I imagine it would be possible if you run new lengths of wire for those zones from the MyColor module in trunk. I installed the illuminated sill plates and I can confirm the wiring and connector is not there. I had to run a new ground wire and tap for power/signal.

Looking forward to your results.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Agent_S550

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
To do a compete swap, you also need the door handle And footwell LEDs, which can't be purchased separately since they are part of the wiring harness. I imagine it would be possible if you run new lengths of wire for those zones from the MyColor module in trunk. I installed the illuminated sill plates and I can confirm the wiring and connector is not there. I had to run a new ground wire and tap for power/signal.

Looking forward to your results.
I have access (on a limited time scale) to the Ford OEM wiring diagrams. I can also find the pigtail required to mate with the factory sill plates.

The OEM sills and other lighting parts utilize a three wire system. Depending upon the inputs to all three, you get different results in color choice. I suppose it has to do with voltage but I'm not sure. I know if you supply a full 12v's to only one wire, you'll get Red, Blue, or Green depending upon your wire choice. If you supply voltage to all three you'll get white.

Realistically there should only be four wires per side. Ground and then the three voltage wires. It will be a matter of identifying the inputs at the lighting module and then pinning them appropriately.

My attitude is if Ford could remove it or add it based on the cars options, then so can I. This thread is seeking to discern the entirety of the process for others.

OP
OP
Agent_S550

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Tried to write the above code and I got a configuration error message...in which [MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION] had speculated before on the MyColor hack thread that a BCM off a premium is probably needed.

The premium cluster has an ambient setting, mine is turned off ATM. Exit & entry lighting (Blue/Green) is also disabled on my car. Enabling it givers me a non-DTC error message.
Interesting. So perhaps the modules truly are different.

It's beginning to sound like to me that MyColor in the Cluster Only can be added by straight swapping a cluster from a premium and then adjusting the option values in ForScan. However, to add other ambient lighting controlled by the Cluster would be more involved as apparent wiring/modules are effectively not equipped to handle it.

Sounds messy but it's just a matter of reverse engineering. Fortunately that happens to be what I do for a living :D

DarkVader0911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So if I were to just swap out my Base model V6 cluster to a premium cluster all I would need is a ForScan program to enable just the my color settings on the cluster itself?

OP
OP
Agent_S550

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
So if I were to just swap out my Base model V6 cluster to a premium cluster all I would need is a ForScan program to enable just the my color settings on the cluster itself?
In order to swap, you need to use a MyColor Premium cluster. Plug it in. Then use ForScan to turn on/off functions in the cluster that your car has or doesn't. In my case, my cluster has Blis and a few other parts that my car does not. If I turn those off, my cluster will function normally without any errors.

DarkVader0911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks I appreciate the response. I just want the mycolor and I would have to turn off everything my car doesn't have correct I have a base base model V6 lol. Do you by chance know what would need turned off?
Sponsored